Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Anyone who doesn't think we still have people like Martin and his cousins really needs to go to a local whist drive, or mart, or post-wedding/Christmas night/anniversary mass lock-in, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It was a brilliant sketch and anyone taking offense is incredibly thin skinned.

Love when he says "Come on Simon!" and he hadn't a clue.

Also Partridge saying to Jennie "It's like an advert for the IRA".

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Everything about the character seemed pretty authentic to me, everything down to the way he was dressed reminded me of several people from my own village. I thought it was fairly obvious it was created by someone who had spent a lot of time in this part of the country over the years.

That's my dad's uniform: Jumper by Guineys, slacks by Guineys, sportscoat by... Guineys.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jooksavage wrote: »
    That's my dad's uniform: Jumper by Guineys, slacks by Guineys, sportscoat by... Guineys.

And I bet your dad would have laughed his hole off at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The toe-curling awkwardness of that time delay when Alan was speaking to Ruth Duggan.

Yet strangely, no time delay when she was talking to Jenny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Your point? I've English cousins with Irish parents who are equally as big a disgrace at making a mockery of us for a laugh. Luckily they all don't have the same platform he does.

Anyway, I'll let you all back to your self loathing. Maybe he'll do a jig and some wife beating next week for ye.

I'm making the point that Steve Coogan is himself Irish so it's not as if he's taking the piss out of the Irish race.. he probably grew up around old lads like his character last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Fcking hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

'Double o feckin bollox'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I only caught the end so I'll have to rewatch tonight but what a part to catch!

It's like every post wedding sing song I'm ever been at. One lad singing a soppy song poorly but means a lot to him, only as an icebreaker before the 'RA tunes come out.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    And I bet your dad would have laughed his hole off at it too.

We (wife, baby and me) have moved in with my father to save some cash while our house is being built. As my wife says, it's like teleporting back to the 1950s. He's a genuine cattle-foddering, dung-splattered, silage-smelling, Wolfe Tones-loving, greyhound-walking 'oul fella. I'm glad he's still around so that I can appreciate the stuff that used to embarrass the hell out of me when I was younger. I can laugh at him and love him at the same time.

I thought Coogan's Martin was great. My wife was at work last night and didn't see it but when we're watching later I'm sure she'll say "There's Paddy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Another okay episode.

In Coogan's defense re: the Irish aul' lad, Steve has relations in Killawalla near Westport (my mother thinks she is a 3rd or 4th cousin to him), and the auld wans are exactly like that.I remember been dragged out to visit my mum's aunties there when we were kids; you'd hear some crazy, funny ****e. Very decent people though :)

Also to any fans of Coogan who haven't seen it, check out Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible. I'm just watching it again; it's excellent. A spot-on spoof of old English horror movies. I'm also going back to the beginning of Alan, watching The Day Today as well. My god, that was a great show. Also The Armando Iannucci shows on Channel 4 were very funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

So this is where we are at, people getting offended by someone acting like a Irish man!! Not enough face-palms!

I really enjoyed this episode. The time delay was great, Alans face when there was no delay for Jennie!!

The end scene was great yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

The last scene was one of the greatest pieces of Partridge ever.

The time delay bit, however, was a little too close to the classic Two Ronnies Mastermind sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Who was the target of the joke btw in your opinion ?

The backward Irish clearly. Its a bit Irish. To hell or to Connaught, etc. Coogan's British audience knows this trope well. The 1970s dress sense, the bad teeth, no manners, a hundred years later and still banging on about the B&Ts, the giant anti-English chip on their shoulder.
    Yet at many attest here, still very much alive and well even in modern Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Like I said, if he'd blacked up or pulled his eyes wide and started saying ah-so there would be a flood of tears coming from this.
    If it was anything like last night I would likely have a good laugh alright, might shed a tear of laughter but floods might be pushing it.

Coogan was in tropic thunder which I thought was really good, but I don't think Coogan could pull off the blackface as well as Downey did.

downey-jr-tropic-thunder.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Irish people take the p*ss out of the English all the time so we can't complain when they do the same to us. Its all a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Your point? I've English cousins with Irish parents who are equally as big a disgrace at making a mockery of us for a laugh. Luckily they all don't have the same platform he does.

Anyway, I'll let you all back to your self loathing. Maybe he'll do a jig and some wife beating next week for ye.

I know you're still lurking in this thread to see if your trolling has any bites but what did you mean by that last line? Is wife beating an Irish thing? Is that what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I did like Alan and Lynn working together on a sting. That was the best bit of the show for me. It was like old Alan again; I wish there were more scenes between them. That is one f*cked-up relationship :pac:

Coogan must like Monty Don, or else he just finds his name funny. In the live Alan show, he was talking about Monty always having dirt under his fingernails, which is fine because he is a gardener, but you see the same thing with the Pet Shop Boys and it's a bit unsavoury :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I thought it was the weakest episode so far, bar the last five minutes which were hilarious. Giving Alan a tortoise, being asked were he got it, talking about if you want more I can get them from a fella in kildare. You talk to me. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Disgraceful ****e and you all lapping it up. If he'd blacked up you'd all be crying about it.

You go back to watching sh*te like Mrs Brown's Boys like a good lad.

• Advertisement

I actually think with the last sketch Coogan was paying tribute to the Irish, how they are a bit of craic, rebellious, unpredictable when compared to the stuffed shirt that was the British 007 impersonator.

Brennan deserves his own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at

thought it was great craic :p hon! Martin Brennan bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Thought that was the best episode yet, the scene with the dummy and of course the Irish lad at the end.

Not sure why people are getting annoyed about the end scene, thought it was the best of the series. I’m English but the old man is Irish, used to go down the country a couple of times a year with him as kids and I’ve seen so many of those type of characters, humour is always funny when there is an element of truth in it.

Before someone takes offence I’m very aware the majority of Irish people are not like that but they do exist. It’s not at all uncommon for me to open my mouth here and be greeted with some terrible cockney slang p*** take (not even a cockney). But those Danny Dyers of the world do exist, if not as common as portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,008 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Disgraceful ****e and you all lapping it up. If he'd blacked up you'd all be crying about it.

tell me what was disgraceful about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You should probably look into getting these posts deleted like you did with the rest of your drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,008 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i bet your cousins are not as funny as coogan

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

He nailed the look of the farmer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It was wholly offensive. They should have a proper Irish character on there to show dat ders more ta Ireland dan dis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

It was wholly offensive. They should have a proper Irish character on there to show dat ders more ta Ireland dan dis.

Someone like Mrs Feckin Brown maybe? Coogan was p*sstaking the Irish, nothing at all wrong with that. We p*ss take the English all the time.

At least its wasn't the one dimensional fighting drunken Irishman so beloved of Hollywood and UK dramas. The Brennan character was an accurate portrayal of a real Irish character of a certain age.

Advertisement