Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Singing Come Out Ye Black And Tans on BBC. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

In fairness to people offended by Coogan's impression, the Irish are going through a major image change. The old image of leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmac'd drives (in the UK), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombing, lots of rocks, and Beamish. People are saying "Yes. There's more to Ireland than this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it?

Excellent point!

If anything the sketch last night is also lampooning the British ignorance of Ireland as can be seen in the presenter's reactions. Up to the second line of Black and Tans they are quite happy with this quaint Irishman and his nice folk songs. Only when the IRA is mentioned does panic set in.

I would not expect the less bright of the forum to appreciate such nuance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Steve is one of us. As he said in The Trip, when Brydon tried an Irish accent, most English people do a supposedly generic Irish accent which isn’t like any Irish accent ever known (except when it’s an idiolect like Terry Wogan). He actually does a proper regional Irish accent - Sligo or Mayo.

The IRA here are not the Provos, of course.

Excellent point!

If anything the sketch last night is also lampooning the British ignorance of Ireland as can be seen in the presenter's reactions. Up to the second line of Black and Tans they are quite happy with this quaint Irishman and his nice folk songs. Only when the IRA is mentioned does panic set in.

I would not expect the less bright of the forum to appreciate such nuance though.

It's clear that Coogan is no stranger to the way pretty much any trad session can go from wistful ballad to rabble-rousing incitement to murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Excellent point!

And of course Partidridge being non too pleased about someone not knowing who he is and taking the limelight from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

jooksavage wrote: »
    It's clear that Coogan is no stranger to the way pretty much any trad session can go from wistful ballad to rabble-rousing incitement to murder.

Not sure many if any end up with murder, to be fair. Maybe before the Good Friday Agreement, but not in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Coogan was p*sstaking the Irish, nothing at all wrong with that. We p*ss take the English all the time.

At least its wasn't the one dimensional fighting drunken Irishman so beloved of Hollywood and UK dramas. The Brennan character was an accurate portrayal of a real Irish character of a certain age.

yep, its just a mickey-take (and a funny one at that)

last week they were taking the mickey out of the scots - Aye! Aye!

and Alan Partridge himself is one big mickey-take on the middle-class english

my philosophy on life is....if you can't take it then don't dish it out, and god knows us irish love to dish it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I don't see what all the fuss is about, Steve Coogan is an Irish Citizen.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, Steve Coogan is an Irish Citizen.

well, he is now after last night :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Coogan is one of the few non-irish born comedians who truly "gets" us.

Hearing come out ye black and tans and the men behind the wire on prime time BBC... Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I like how they reference Pete Gabitas last night. He's a character that pops up in I,Partridge. In the past, he organised foreign girlfriends for Alan and his pals. In Alan's own words, his was probably the second best (Sonja)! But in last night's episode we find out that Pete was supplying Alan with a busty blow-up doll, presumably before Sonja.

Pete died in a drink driving accident but Alan was suspicious. He said Pete is one of the few people who is actually a better driver when drunk. On some occasions when Alan was sober, he insisted a drunk Pete drive him home, because Alan was in awe of his driving proficiency.

Coogan is one of the few non-irish born comedians who truly "gets" us.

Hearing come out ye black and tans and the men behind the wire on prime time BBC... Glorious.

is was kinda like an "in" joke that only that us irish and coogan would get

.........i say it would have flew over the head with many english

I like how they reference Pete Gabitas last night. He's a character that pops up in I,Partridge. In the past, he organised foreign girlfriends for Alan and his pals. In Alan's own words, his was probably the second best (Sonja)! But in last night's episode we find out that Pete was supplying Alan with a busty blow-up doll, presumably before Sonja.

Pete died in a drink driving accident but Alan was suspicious. He said Pete is one of the few people who is actually a better driver when drunk. On some occasions when Alan was sober, he insisted a drunk Pete drive him home, because Alan was in awe of his driving proficiency.

As far as I recall Alan was so unconvinced by the coroners verdict that Pete's visible drunkenness was a factor in his death, he is considering investigating it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Disgraceful ****e and you all lapping it up. If he'd blacked up you'd all be crying about it.

let steve explain the joke to you
    "A lot of the humour I do as Alan is British prejudice against the Irish which can sound just like jokes against the Irish but it has to be put into the context of Alan's ignorance which is why we get away with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

To the people who are offended, if Pat Short had played the same character with the same script, would you be equally offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

fryup wrote: »
    is was kinda like an "in" joke that only that us irish and coogan would get

.........i say it would have flew over the head with many english

Exactly this. His irish accent is spot on. Far from been insulted i thought it was genius. Anyone who was offended by that does not get coogan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

RickBlaine wrote: »
    To the people who are offended, if Pat Short had played the same character with the same script, would you be equally offended?

I think those that were 'offended' have left the thread...they should be sacked for been unloyal - disloyal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I reckon that might go down as one of the most memorable Partridge moments ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Only caught it on the rewatch but the pissy way Alan corrects the pronunciation of "H" at the start is brilliant

https://twitter.com/bbccomedy/status/1107763607327178753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Who the hell is that...who the hell is that

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

I reckon that might go down as one of the most memorable Partridge moments ever.

I never thought they'd reach the level of the 90s shows but that was grand, lads. Mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Funniest bit: when Martin said "awful hot in here". That was the most old Irish man thing he could possibly have said :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

RickBlaine wrote: »

Very surprised, but not offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Feeding turf to the sheep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Coogan's Irish impersonation was almost perfect. It would have been flawless if he had said "telly" instead of "TV". But that's just nitpicking. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'm making the point that Steve Coogan is himself Irish so it's not as if he's taking the piss out of the Irish race.. he probably grew up around old lads like his character last night

I remember him on the Late Late years and years ago (Gay Byrne era). He was talking about his uncles in Mayo and how he used their voices, language, and movements a lot in his sketches. And it's very obvious I think. He's very authentic to a certain generation and type of older gentleman I'd know from the West. He's honed all the details from absorbing them over years and years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Stephen Mangan, aka DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN.... DAN, his folks were from Mayo as well.

• Advertisement

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Who the hell is that...who the hell is that

no....who the hell is dat

Alan...that! Martin....dat! Alan...that! Martin....dat! Alan...that! Martin....dat!

Advertisement