Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“You’re going to ruin a slow-mo sequence of alsatians jumping up and biting the arms of dog handlers set to ‘Hungry like the wolf’ by Duran Duran! It’s great TV! Please stop playing!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Stephen Mangan, aka DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN.... DAN, his folks were from Mayo as well.

And Julie Walters, her mother is from West Mayo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

jooksavage wrote: »
    As far as I recall Alan was so unconvinced by the coroners verdict that Pete's visible drunkenness was a factor in his death, he is considering investigating it himself.

Correct. He wanted to make the investigation part of a Youtube series "Alan Partridge Scrutinises" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Lol a lot of uk forums are mystified by end

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am still laughing at this near 24 hours later, and come an ye black and tans has been in my head all day.

Not to mention there was the 'how to do CPR' on a sex doll earlier in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Watched it again... During the Daniel Craig chat the farmer gives Alan an Irish nod of the head and Alan gives one back and it's hilarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

“......didn’t have to put me hand in me pocket.....”

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

fryup wrote: »
    no....who the hell is dat

Alan...that! Martin....dat! Alan...that! Martin....dat! Alan...that! Martin....dat!

Thought he sounded Welsh for that line.

Do you have a link handy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Really? Who?

"What if the BBC was being penatrated through the back door"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ferajacka wrote: »
    "What if the BBC was being penatrated through the back door"

I loved how that segment ended with him co.ing back through the door. Definitely thought he'd should something at Monty Don from the car.

CPR on a sex doll....Couldn't stop laughing.

IRA songs on bbc...vintage

Loved this episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

“This is what’s it’s like trying to talk to someone in the Philippines over a webcam. I mean, I imagine this is what it’s like.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

“This is what’s it’s like trying to talk to someone in the Philippines over a webcam. I mean, I imagine this is what it’s like.”

Plus the racist old woman on the phone on about her "negro" house boy and the comment about two Alans being unable to handle Jennie! A really strong episode overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"He said he's a famous fella, used to be on the TV way back"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Plus the racist old woman on the phone on about her "negro" house boy and the comment about two Alans being unable to handle Jennie! A really strong episode overall.

Adding when he barked like a dog towards Jennie and said he loves doing that to women!

Alan looked worried when the woman said they called him "brownie".Still laughing about that.
    He's been a bit cocky and with it for the last two episodes I have a feelin' there will be a few bomb shells for Alan in the next ones to bring him back a peg or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Like I said, if he'd blacked up or pulled his eyes wide and started saying ah-so there would be a flood of tears coming from this.

Yeah, just like there are floods of tears every time Are you right there, Father Ted is repeated on RTE2.

BZ9QB2lCYAAhs3J.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Coogan is immensely talented. Last night he played Partidge, the Irishman, and the racist old woman on the telephone.

He can also play serious roles, such as in Philomena and Stan and Ollie.

There are other British comedians right now who are much bigger in America than Coogan.
    Gervais is a one trick pony, he can only do one type of character and when he goes the dramatic route it's so schmaltzy and heavy handed that it's laughable.
    James Corden is about as funny as finding blood when you wipe your arse.
    John Oliver is irritating as hell and toes the mainstream line.

Coogan is so far and away better than all of these guys. I mean, he had a character sing rebel songs on primetime BBC. What a treat to have a comedy half hour without a mention of Trump or Brexit, with an aim towards provoking laughter rather than smug applause from the right on crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

sirmanga wrote: »
    Coogan is immesnley talented. Last night he played Partidge, the Irishman, and the racist old woman on the telephone.

There are other British comedians right now who are much bigger in America than Coogan.
    Gervais is a one trick pony, he can only do one type of character and when he goes the dramatic route it's so smaltzy and heavy handed that it's laughable.

Coogan is so far and away better than all of these guys. I mean, he had a character sing rebel songs on primetime BBC. What a treat to have a comedy half hour without a mention of Trump or Brexit, with an aim towards provoking laughter rather than smug applause from the right on crowd.

Brilliantly put, so very, very, very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Those last 10 minutes from the CPR sketch to 00 Bx is some of the funniest Partridge for years. Come on Simon!!

"Bang bang...bang bang....wooooooooooooooooo.....the sound there, of a heart halting."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Oliver does not toe the mainstream, mainstream is regularly his target.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

everytime i look at Martin's face i burst out laughing, he looks like your typical muck farmer from the wesht :pac:

Alan-Partridge-Martin-Brennan-Steve-Coogan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,384 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't see what all the fuss is about, Steve Coogan is an Irish Citizen.

Sir Steve O' Coogan, what is Ireland's equilvant of a knighthood?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

At the other end of the spectrum, look at this rubbish from SNL. Just shows how spot on Coogan is:

I stopped watching when she pronounced Siobhan "shiv-anne"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

So Martin your a farmer from the west of ireland....I am (pause)
    Hah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Coogan is immensely talented. Last night he played Partidge, the Irishman, and the racist old woman on the telephone.

Gervais is a one trick pony, he can only do one type of character and when he goes the dramatic route it's so schmaltzy and heavy handed that it's laughable.

I love Steve, but I think he is a terrible dramatic actor. It looks like he is spoofing dramatic acting, rather than actually doing it! He has no range as a dramatic actor, and also he is too associated with his comedic roles for me to ever buy him in a straight role. I didn't like Philomena (despite being at the premiere of it in Dublin, with Coogan present). Stuff like The Look of Love was just painful to watch: he cannot carry a leading role (although it did have Imogen Poots in it, which kept my interest :pac:).

Steve is the greatest comedy character actor I have even seen, and I've watched a lot of comedy. For the range of comedy characters he has played, and the consistently top level quality of his acting and the writing, there is nobody that comes close (Gervais is a one trick pony, and looking at everything he has done since The Office, it makes me think Stephen Merchant or the other people behind the scenes on that, played a big part in the success of the show). But the best stuff Steve has ever done has been with Armando Iannucci, and I feel the quality of Alan has dropped off since Alpha Papa. I think Steve has a more dominant relationship with the Gibbons brothers, given that he is a good few years older than them. I think he looked up to Iannucci, who ran the show behind the scenes, but now Coogan pretty much owns Alan. It's interesting, I watched this chat between Coogan and Iannucci for the Guardian, and there is a bit where Steve is talking about working on new ideas for Alan with the Gibbons brothers, and Armando is like "oh, I dind't hear anything about that". :pac:

Advertisement