Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

When they are watching the video feed from Downing St at the end of the episode, and the dog petitioners don't turn up, all they can see is Larry the Downing St. cat waiting at the front door, and Martin says "there's a cat!" in his bogger accent. That and "awful hot in here" cracks me up :pac:

Also the guy who shouts "A-ha" when Alan is introducing the dog group at the beginning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Those last 10 minutes from the CPR sketch to 00 Bx is some of the funniest Partridge for years. Come on Simon!!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShockingNippyEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Those sideways glances crack me up. The office was another show that used to drop them in. It was always something weird/mad happening and it was like an extra looking at someone else and saying "are you seeing this as well?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When they are watching the video feed from Downing St at the end of the episode, and the dog petitioners don't turn up, all they can see is Larry the Downing St. cat waiting at the front door, and Martin says "there's a cat!" in his bogger accent. That and "awful hot in here" cracks me up :pac:

Also the guy who shouts "A-ha" when Alan is introducing the dog group at the beginning :)

Reminds me of the randomness of some of the older rural generation picked for Winning Streak, probably been to Dublin once in their lives before and never in a TV studio. Having your party piece - breaking into a song at the drop of a hat, best Sunday Mass gear on etc. Accent was pretty spot on, hard for a non Irish person to do convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

I think he looked up to Iannucci, who ran the show behind the scenes, but now Coogan pretty much owns Alan. It's interesting, I watched this chat between Coogan and Iannucci for the Guardian, and there is a bit where Steve is talking about working on new ideas for Alan with the Gibbons brothers, and Armando is like "oh, I dind't hear anything about that". :pac:

That was a good interview, makes a good podcast. Alot of the techniques they talk about you can see in This Time.
    Like the this your life joke is one the audience can see coming before the punchline comes.
    The irony of a cat outside number 10 when they're expecting the dog protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The picture on the left is from an episode of I'm Alan Partridge from 1997 when Alan used a dummy to pose as his wife, the picture on the right is from Mondays episode.

qky8bmbu06n21.jpg

I didn't know Monty Don was a real person! I thought he was an actor they hired!
    https://twitter.com/TheMontyDon/status/1107717582050729985

https://twitter.com/TheMontyDon/status/1107942931963543552

Q0Xw3do.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Autecher wrote: »
    The picture on the left is from an episode of I'm Alan Partridge from 1997 when Alan used a dummy to pose as his wife, the picture on the right is from Mondays episode.

qky8bmbu06n21.jpg

Initial observation, you need to get out more.

gargargar wrote: »
    Initial observation, you need to get out more.
    Actually I just swiped that from reddit but thanks for the concern anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Just a fantastic episode. The battle re enactment from a previous episode was brilliant but this was even better. The accents and mannerisms are spot on. Really enjoying this reincarnation of Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

HAHA!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Autecher wrote: »
    I didn't know Monty Don was a real person! I thought he was an actor they hired!

Ah heyor!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

HAHA!!

You put in a H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Coogan's/Martin's mini version of Sweet Sixteen was actually quite beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Link?

digital spy and other's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

just realised the bond guy was called trevor Mortimer
    rlol he is a famous mayo gaa player as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Where can I find the full version of this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Was Tommy Tiernan playing his cousin.

Partridge is the go to reference when I explain to brits or Americans why their Irish jokes are ****. For a joke to be funny it has to be accurate in some way and Coogan gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

sirmanga wrote: »

I was expecting a Partridge aside to it when he got to the 'sweet sixteen' finish, along the lines of (in best Alan accent) : "Sixteen. Thats underage. Still, must point out its a different jurisdiction. Its the West of Ireland too. Dont judge".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just realised the bond guy was called trevor Mortimer
    rlol he is a famous mayo gaa player as well

maybe Steve slipped that in as an in joke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

WHERE THE F**K IS MY WATAH

sirmanga wrote: »

If he sang that at party people would cry with happiness...

Actually Coogan obviously knew that, see the way Alan recoiled in horror but Jennie looked like the emotion of the song had her hooked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jennie is fecking stunning btw, how have we never seen that actress anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Only after seeing Mondays episode now. That's the best episode of anything Partridge related since IAP. Absolutely brilliant. I was critical of the first 2 episodes (haven't watched episode 3 yet), but this week was side-splitting.

Imagine Alan giving his name to a bouncer and getting nowhere and resorting to shouting "ahaaaa" to get into the Johnnie walker tent in Silverstone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

"You want any more of them, you come see me."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thargor wrote: »
    Jennie is fecking stunning btw, how have we never seen that actress anywhere else?

Ooooh...I’d like to kiss her.

A Chris Morris cameo now will seal the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

As many people have mentioned the levels of that coogan and the detail he does shows his craft. This wasn't a slapatick Irish character this was a very accurate detailed character. The detail will have been lost on some people in the UK and many won't even know who the black and tans were or what they did.

Advertisement