Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

NIMAN wrote: »
    And another live skit with Simon Pegg

"the milky bars are on me" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I was reading on another forum that the only 3 bad reviews for then new show came from news publications that Steve Coogan heavily criticised during Leveson inquiry a few years ago.

It makes me wonder which one artvanderlay works for??... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I just hope no one takes it too far and defaces his car with some graffiti as revenge. Maybe something like c0ck p1ss Partridge or the likes.

Although if anyone is targeted maybe it should be the booking agent takes the flak but maybe she was fired anyway.

Alan: Do you know what they wrote on the side of my car?

Receptionist: Tosser??

Autecher wrote: »
    I was reading on another forum that the only 3 bad reviews for then new show came from news publications that Steve Coogan heavily criticised during Leveson inquiry a few years ago.

It makes me wonder which one artvanderlay works for??... :P

What the f*ck??? :eek: :D I'm the biggest Partridge/Coogan fan, and have been for many years. I merely voiced my opinion that the new series is nowhere near as good as the older stuff, and that Alan has been going downhill since before Alpha Papa (the last couple of episodes of Mid Morning Matters 1, and the specials Welcome To The Places Of My Life and Open Books, were when the rot started: they were funny, but not as relentlessly hilarious as what came before them).

I think when this series is over, it will be quickly forgotten, like all the more recent Alan stuff (well, apart from Martin Brennan, but only because he's an Irish character). I don't see many people quoting Mid Morning Matters on this thread, especially Series 2 (because it was shyte), and it's still mostly quotes from I'm Alan Partridge 1 & 2 here. I want Alan to be great again, but I don't think he will be now that Coogan has full ownership of the character, without input from Armando Iannucci. God, it really annoys me that Iannucci left to do something shyte (Veep), when he could have been making Partridge with Coogan for the past few years. He even had Chris Morris directing episodes of Veep; what a waste of talent all around. That twat Chris Addison (who admittedly was good in The Thick Of It) also directed episodes of Veep, and is now directing a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with Rebel Wilson :( How depressing is that???

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

sligojoek wrote: »
    Alan: Do you know what they wrote on the side of my car?

Receptionist: Tosser??

You’re in the right ballpark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

What the f*ck??? :eek: :D I'm the biggest Partridge/Coogan fan, and have been for many years. I merely voiced my opinion that the new series is nowhere near as good as the older stuff, and that Alan has been going downhill since before Alpha Papa (the last couple of episodes of Mid Morning Matters 1, and the specials Welcome To The Places Of My Life and Open Books, were when the rot started: they were funny, but not as relentlessly hilarious as what came before them).

I think when this series is over, it will be quickly forgotten, like all the more recent Alan stuff (well, apart from Martin Brennan, but only because he's an Irish character). I don't see many people quoting Mid Morning Matters on this thread, especially Series 2 (because it was shyte), and it's still mostly quotes from I'm Alan Partridge 1 & 2 here. I want Alan to be great again, but I don't think he will be now that Coogan has full ownership of the character, without input from Armando Iannucci. God, it really annoys me that Iannucci left to do something shyte (Veep), when he could have been making Partridge with Coogan for the past few years. He even had Chris Morris directing episodes of Veep; what a waste of talent all around. That twat Chris Addison (who admittedly was good in The Thick Of It) also directed episodes of Veep, and is now directing a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with Rebel Wilson :( How depressing is that???
    Shít if that offended you it wasn't supposed to. Sorry if it seemed like I was having a go at you. I wasn't, it was supposed to be a lighthearted comment.

Autecher wrote: »
    Shít if that offended you it wasn't supposed to. Sorry if it seemed like I was having a go at you. I wasn't, it was supposed to be a lighthearted comment.

No offence taken (hence my :D in first message). I just want Alan to be great again...MAGA...MAKE ALAN GREAT AGAIN :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I know I'm able to be objective about it after episode one where I just didn't know if I liked the tone, but by episode 3 I knew the deal. It's REINVENTED Partridge, rather than a failed Re-hash of old ground.

Is it as good in terms of laugh-per-scene as 90's Partridge? No, but it's incredible that it this good in 2019, take it or leave it.

Re-watch this when it's done, there's a lot of subtleties going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Steve Coogan's parents are Irish

Actually his mother is Irish and his father is of "Irish descent".

So wiki says anyway, not the same thing as two Irish parents, Irish descent can be quite vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just cought up on the latest episodes. Some good things but alot not so good as well. Other than irish character a bit forgetable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Actually his mother is Irish and his father is of "Irish descent".

So wiki says anyway, not the same thing as two Irish parents, Irish descent can be quite vague.
    Enough for a passport. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"don't mention slimming corsettes in front of the make up ladies..their tongues wag faster than a happy dogs tail" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

#me too tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my brain was wondering where he heard the quote "jibber jabber"
    seen he was in de west in the 80s he prob watched the a team. mr t famous quote was "quit your jibber jabber "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

You’re in the right ballpark.

He's basically driving around in an obscene publication

Tonight's episode:

A special programme focusing on the delicate issue of the #MeToo movement and a chance for Alan to show off his broadcasting chops. Features a live performance by Alan's very own mixed vocal harmony group, The Quavers.

I know I've complained multiple times on this thread about the declining quality of Alan, but I'm very happy he's on tonight :)

"That redhead I slapped on the behind...don't worry, that's merely a shaved boy in a wig".

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“See you later, Alan.”

“Bye...Peter.”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is so funny, trying so hard to be PC.

Great Les Dawson joke.

• Advertisement

Another great Les Dawson Joke

Cue diarrhoea in next 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I love the way Partridge voice box tightens up when he is taken by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"from across the whole c**try ..." :D

Skid X wrote: »
    "from across the whole c**try ..." :D

*takes notes*

eh, actually no, I got banned last time I used that word :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

His lips :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

A bit weak after last week's masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Interactions between Simon and Alan are superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Barely raised a laugh tonight

• Advertisement

I know this is a love-fest thread for AP, so not interested in dizzying it- plenty of fans here- I just think it could have been so much better- big mistake going back to a TV studio IMHO. :)

Advertisement