Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

fryup wrote: »
    didn't really get that gag..was Alan getting perverse pleasure by being squashed between the two bookshelves or something along those lines?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fizzed up squealers

rodders999 wrote: »
    He couldn’t let the fuel injector thing go, it was tearing him apart.

I saw that one coming... Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I saw that one coming... Brilliant

Yes, saw the fuel injector thing coming a mile away. And then the irony of Man-splaining

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Not a great episode I thought.

Depending on other people's jokes such as the twitter mother in law jokes is Mrs Brown's Boys standard tbh.

A few laughs in there though, Alan zoning out when the feminist was talking about great women, the librarian saying her surname was Couchman and Alan trying to guess what it meant.

The swollen lips you could see coming a mile off.

We and Alan are better than this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Someone reversed Alan's swearing rant. He called someone a rantallion!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought it was the funniest episode of the series. I was rolling when we got to see his lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

loyatemu wrote: »
    Anyone notice, the receptionist in the title sequence is now smiling at him :)

Yeah they replaced the receptionist with the look of distain on her face with a lady now smiling at Alan.
    I thought it was a good episode with some lol moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yeah they replaced the receptionist with the look of distain on her face with a lady now smiling at Alan.
    I thought it was a good episode with some lol moments.

I think it's the same girl, maybe Alan made them reshoot that bit. She really had a look of contempt on her face in the original one.

1 episode left, I assume Alan is going to screw it up but I wonder how. He'll be lapdancing for a second series yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“Spunk up an opening”

• Advertisement

Not a great episode I thought.

Depending on other people's jokes such as the twitter mother in law jokes is Mrs Brown's Boys standard tbh.

A few laughs in there though, Alan zoning out when the feminist was talking about great women, the librarian saying her surname was Couchman and Alan trying to guess what it meant.

The swollen lips you could see coming a mile off.

We and Alan are better than this!

He wasn't depending on anybody else's jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Watched it again earlier and it was just as good the second time. A lot of great subtle moments. Love the lingering look at the male dancer at the start along with the look of panic. "Okay Peter".

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Watched it again earlier and it was just as good the second time. A lot of great subtle moments. Love the lingering look at the male dancer at the start along with the look of panic. "Okay Peter".

Aaaah...ladyboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Amen Awomen - love how he trying to be over PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

"Remember that time you fell in the nettles at the railway." Looking for cream off Lynn.

Ap: "you don't want another Chris Evans on your hands"
    Tony hayers: "actually that's exactly what we do want"
    Ap:"I'm yer man"

Yes, saw the fuel injector thing coming a mile away. And then the irony of Man-splaining

only coogan can master the look of someone fact checking himself on the inner workings of a turbo whilst a feminist is yappin away :)

He wasn't depending on anybody else's jokes

The mice throwing themselves on traps when the mother in law is coming is an old Les Dawson joke. A cheap laugh at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Aaaah...ladyboys.

i initially thought it was the girl with the blue top who was the lady boy:o she did look a bit bit butch in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Aaaah...ladyboys.

So he flips her over right and fuuuu.....

....funnily enough... it lands on its wheels... and it starts first time and they just drive away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Roar wrote: »
    So he flips her over right and fuuuu.....

....funnily enough... it lands on its wheels... and it starts first time and they just drive away!

"Michael was just telling me about a friend of his who slept with...a land-rover. Lonely nights in the desert" :)

The mice throwing themselves on traps when the mother in law is coming is an old Les Dawson joke. A cheap laugh at best.

Read what I said

Read what I said

I get what the idea of the sketch was, it just didn't really work. Alan was pretending to be the world's greatest feminist throughout the show but he also didn't take feminism seriously. Don't get me wrong, there were a few laughs in the show, just didn't think overall it was a great episode myself, my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it really is a show you have to watch twice to catch the subtle jokes you might have missed...

...like when Alan arrives at the museum and walks up the stairs and then half way up sees the escalator next to him :) and gives a sigh

I get what the idea of the sketch was, it just didn't really work. Alan was pretending to be the world's greatest feminist throughout the show but he also didn't take feminism seriously. Don't get me wrong, there were a few laughs in the show, just didn't think overall it was a great episode myself, my personal opinion.

That's your own business, i was specifically talking about what you said about others peoples jokes.

fryup wrote: »
    it really is a show you have to watch twice to catch the subtle jokes you might have missed...

...like when Alan arrives at the museum and walks up the stairs and then half way up sees the escalator next to him :) and gives a sigh

That's hardly comedy gold though, is it? If you have to scrutinise the show very carefully to find fairly mild jokes, well that's not a particularly good sign to me. Where are the big laughs, like classic Alan had? Call me old fashioned, but I like good jokes that make me laugh, rather than subtle ones that don't make me laugh. Who gives a **** about Alan looking at an escalator? And this isn't a personal attack on you, I'm just sick of people poring over minutiae of this show, trying to convince themselves that it is classic Alan. It's not. A lot of people watching it are only doing so out of loyalty to old Alan, but this new show is a dog's dinner, and doesn't merit comparison with classic Alan. As a huge Partridge fan, I'm really getting tired of him now. Never thought I'd say that, but I think he should have stopped after the movie.

That's hardly comedy gold though, is it? If you have to scrutinise the show very carefully to find fairly mild jokes, well that's not a particularly good sign to me. Where are the big laughs, like classic Alan had? Call me old fashioned, but I like good jokes that make me laugh, rather than subtle ones that don't make me laugh. Who gives a **** about Alan looking at an escalator? And this isn't a personal attack on you, I'm just sick of people poring over minutiae of this show, trying to convince themselves that it is classic Alan. It's not. A lot of people watching it are only doing so out of loyalty to old Alan, but this new show is a dog's dinner, and doesn't merit comparison with classic Alan. As a huge Partridge fan, I'm really getting tired of him now. Never thought I'd say that, but I think he should have stopped after the movie.
    Reading this I'm surprised you were a fan

Reading this I'm surprised you were a fan

I was a fan when he was extraordinarily funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Gibbons have said they’re veering him away from big laughs, that they want to create the ‘right laughs’. I think the subtleties are welcome additions to his repertoire.

“Make-up artist??”
    “Why not? One day”

• Advertisement

The Gibbons have said they’re veering him away from big laughs, that they want to create the ‘right laughs’. I think the subtleties are welcome additions to his repertoire.

“Make-up artist??”
    “Why not? One day”

That sounds like a crock of **** from the Gibbons brothers. Right laughs??? How pretentious is that! So they want to have a comedy show that elicits knowing smiles and smirks, rather than belly-laughs. Why don't they f*ck off and write for Fleabag then, or some other unfunny crap, rather than ruining Alan? God damn, I miss Armando and Peter Baynham, the ones that made Alan into the legendary character he became (along with Coogan obviously). They didn't take things so seriously with Alan, and knew the value of making an audience laugh. Coogan was always slightly pretentious, but I think he was kept in check by Iannucci/Marber/Baynham. I think since he jettisoned them and took ownership of the character with the Gibbons brothers, he has given free reign to his and their pretensions.

Once the dust has settled after this series ends, and the Guardian and the like have stopped the gushing, I predict it will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end for Alan. The whole series made no sense from the very beginning. Alan back on prime-time BBC, completely out of the blue, brought in from regional radio. Why??? It's just so badly conceived and ill-thought out.

“Make-up artist??”
    “Why not? One day”

Is that funny? Really?

Advertisement