Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

An article from Variety detailing some of the in-jokes from this series, nothing really new but sure here it is anyway
    https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a26962573/this-time-with-alan-partridge-all-the-tiny-details-youve-probably-missed/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She brings very little to the show. I thought they might expand on her character, or her relationship with Alan, but she is now just like a fem-bot. We get no indication of how she feels about Alan anymore.

That's the joke

Ha
    you know what it says on the side of my car?
    Sophie: Tosser?
    Alan: No. You’re in the right ballpark. No, it actually says Cock Piss Partridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's the joke

Another not very funny one then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Look, the current series is not perfect by any means, but its a better than most other comedy out there.

Even a Cock Piss Partridge is better than most, except maybe one or two others.

Now if Alan could only push Mrs Brown off the airways especially at Christmas, we'd all be laughing.

And bring back Martin Brennan:
    "Come on now Simon"

Up there with the best.

So how will the series end? Alan burning the studio down? Shooting someone again? Insulting the BBC commissioning editor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just started listening to the audiobook of I Partridge and am already p1ssing myself :P
    But this nose bleed was hefty, brought on by a perfect storm of country dancing, hot weather and the high pollen count. As it spread and dried on my face and neck, I knew I couldn’t face the juvenile tittering of my class colleagues.
    Which is how I came to wander the leafy idylls on the outskirts of Norwich. Had this been 2011, I’d have probably returned to the school with some Uzis to give my classmates something to really laugh about, but this was a different – and better – time

Thargor wrote: »
    I just started listening to the audiobook of I Partridge and am already p1ssing myself :P

For me, I, Partridge is the absolute pinnacle of Partridge, but especially the audio-book with Alan reading it. It's just incredibly detailed and incredibly funny, plus it's over 7 hours long: you get to listen to Alan talking, uninterrupted, for 7 hours straight! :pac: The follow up, Nomad, is poor in comparison, but has a few laughs too.

Anyways, here's another Alan phone-in from MMM1:

I think panel beating was too narrow a topic. So today we're asking, what's the best thing?

For me, I, Partridge is the absolute pinnacle of Partridge, but especially the audio-book with Alan reading it. It's just incredibly detailed and incredibly funny, plus it's over 7 hours long: you get to listen to Alan talking, uninterrupted, for 7 hours straight! :pac: The follow up, Nomad, is poor in comparison, but has a few laughs too.

Anyways, here's another Alan phone-in from MMM1:

I think panel beating was too narrow a topic. So today we're asking, what's the best thing?

that's so ray darcy!

"what's ray thinkin"

“A friend of mine once said he like his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved. I don't agree with that, but I don't like hairy women.”

― Alan Partridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Thargor wrote: »

Loved it. They way he ties together all of the offscreen stuff between the different series' was brilliant.

On his return to Norwich after KMKY ends: " IF the BBC thought I was going to sit around waiting for them to mull over a second series, or have yet more meetings, or help conclude the criminal investigation into a man's death - they had another thing coming!"

The follow-up, Nomad is also brilliant. His ongoing anxiety about Operation Yewtree had me in stitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, but this current scenario is just plain ridiculous. He's getting away with murder, yet he's working for the BBC, a company that is very knee-jerk to anything even slightly controversial. Knowing me Knowing you was produced by Alan's own production company (Pear Tree Productions :)), so it made sense that he got away with a lot of **** on that show. The BBC weren't really keeping an eye on him, yet when things did go wrong, he was immediately sacked. With the current show, I get the impression that if Alan did shoot a guest dead again, he would be back on the next week, without any problems. It's that illogical.
    Unlike the logical approach of living in a Travel Tavern for 163 days?

One is a plausible scenario: Alan's marriage breaks up, he checks into a hotel for a period of time because he was expecting to get his BBC gig back, and would have been able to buy a house for himself then. Remember I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 Episode 1? As Alan said himself, living in the Travel Tavern was a nightmare. It was intended to be a short stay that turned into a prolonged stay.

The current scenario is implausible. A media personality who is a total pariah, and has been on a downward trajectory for the past two decades, suddenly gets a prime-time gig back on the BBC, without any explanation of how he managed to wrangle that.

If you can't see the difference between those two, well then there's nothing more I can say. Have a good day, sir :)

And shooting someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

One is a plausible scenario: Alan's marriage breaks up, he checks into a hotel for a period of time because he was expecting to get his BBC gig back, and would have been able to buy a house for himself then. Remember I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 Episode 1? As Alan said himself, living in the Travel Tavern was a nightmare. It was intended to be a short stay that turned into a prolonged stay.

The current scenario is implausible. A media personality who is a total pariah, and has been on a downward trajectory for the past two decades, suddenly gets a prime-time gig back on the BBC, without any explanation of how he managed to wrangle that.

If you can't see the difference between those two, well then there's nothing more I can say. Have a good day, sir :)

I really think you over-analyze.

But (and I'll join you here) in I'm Partridge the staff of Pear Tree Productions stuck around for a while, presumably because they believed a second series was at least a possibility.
    And Alan was still able to go into the BBC and (famous scene) have lunch with Tony Hayers.
    Finally in the funeral episode wasn't he actually given a second series by Chris something, the new Head of Programming, who then died.

So if This Time is implausible, then so was I'm Alan Partridge for identical reasons.
    Or maybe, you know, they are both funny shows where you suspend the overthinking for 30 minutes just to enjoy it.

And shooting someone :)

Yeah, and he lost his career with the BBC as a result. That's plausible. Him suddenly coming back out of nowhere, and nobody mentioning Alan killing someone is just inconsistent and bad writing. They did not explain how Alan got this gig now, and that is a huge question to answer. Everything that came before it had a narrative that worked. Somehow it made sense. This doesn't.

Also people have died on movie/tv shoots. It happens sometimes, especially with weapons. Remember Brandon Lee? It's not so implausible.

Just let it go lads, I'm never going to back down on this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, and he lost his career with the BBC as a result. That's plausible. Him suddenly coming back out of nowhere, and nobody mentioning Alan killing someone is just inconsistent and bad writing.

I'm sorry, you are picking and choosing parts of the old series' to suit your theory and ignoring other bits.

KMKY was axed after the tragic death of Forbes McAllister

Tony Hayers refused to commission another series

And then, despite shooting a man dead on air and having ratings a ninth of what would have expected, Chris Feathers was about to offer him a five year contract. That just doesn't happen.

Forbes McAllister's death was glossed over to make the Hayers and Feathers meetings work better for comedy effect. You can't criticise the current series for ignoring Forbes McAllister if you aren't going to pick holes in the those episodes.

It has always been a mixture of plausible and implausible, and quite rightly so. That's what makes it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm struggling to understand where it could even be mentioned that Alan killed someone in the format of this series. It would require one of the guests mentioning it or perhaps his co-host and I'm not sure why they would bring that up since it would come across as insensitive and inappropriate. (It's the kind of thing Alan would likely bring up if it happened to someone else but I don't think most people would mention it).

Yeah, and he lost his career with the BBC as a result. That's plausible. Him suddenly coming back out of nowhere, and nobody mentioning Alan killing someone is just inconsistent and bad writing. They did not explain how Alan got this gig now, and that is a huge question to answer. Everything that came before it had a narrative that worked. Somehow it made sense. This doesn't.

Also people have died on movie/tv shoots. It happens sometimes, especially with weapons. Remember Brandon Lee? It's not so implausible.

I foresee a Morrissey /david Cameron situation with yourself and Steve Coogan developing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

People forget that Partridge was the hero in a very highly publicised siege, involving an actual Irishman with a gun, at North Norfolk Digital.

Obviously this would have rekindled the public's interest in a presenter who was always willing to scale the north face of Chatmandu.

Rumor is that Partridge even had the choice of This Time on BBC or Monkey Tennis on Sky. Talks between Chris Eubank and EuroHostels at ITV broke down at an early stage, although Bill Oddie was available to co-present Inner City Sumo .

Skid X wrote: »
    I'm sorry, you are picking and choosing parts of the old series' to suit your theory and ignoring other bits.

KMKY was axed after the tragic death of Forbes McAllister

Tony Hayers refused to commission another series

And then, despite shooting a man dead on air and having ratings a ninth of what would have expected, Chris Feathers was about to offer him a five year contract. That just doesn't happen.

Forbes McAllister's death was glossed over to make the Hayers and Feathers meetings work better for comedy effect. You can't criticise the current series for ignoring Forbes McAllister if you aren't going to pick holes in the those episodes.

It has always been a mixture of plausible and implausible, and quite rightly so. That's what makes it funny.

Oh Christ, do I have to keep going with this? :p Chris Feather was an old friend of Alan from back in the day, an ex-alcoholic and wholly unsuitable for the job, but he got it on an interim basis because Tony Hayers died suddenly. Alan looked to capitalise on Chris's installment and get a new show under his rule. It was plausible that Alan thought an old friend would pull a few strings for him, and he even tried to pimp out Lynn, who Chris was sweet on, to seal the deal. Chris then died, after Alan thought he had signed a 5 year deal. Yes, it is implausible that all these guys kept dying, but there were no major plot-holes and inconsistencies. This brings me back to my original question that the current writers have not answered: how and why did Alan get back on a prime-time BBC show? He was a pariah, like Michael Barrymore or Jim Davidson, but even more forgotten than them. He hasn't been on tv in over 20 years, bar the Pat Farrell siege. Even then, they made Mid Morning Matters series 2 three years after that and there was no mention of a raised profile for Alan in the national media. The specials Welcome to the places of my life etc, were made by Alan, not the BBC. I just find it terribly ill-thought-out that something that Alan has quested after for many years without success (but with much comedy) is suddenly given to him without explanation. There is no way Alan would be back there, not in the current era of safe TV. The BBC is so f*cking bland these days, somebody like Alan wouldn't be let inside the doors. And why is Sidekick Simon with him? Were they so desperate to get Alan, that he was able to insist they come as a package? Just stupid writing :mad: Now please leave me alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I liked you better when you were an importer/exporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Oh Christ, do I have to keep going with this? :p

No, we would be happy if you didn't.

You can't seriously claim that this show was ever realistic. To sum up one of your points:

No mention of Forbes McAllister's death immediately afterwards - perfectly plausible

No mention of Forbes McAllister's death 25 years later - utterly ridiculous, absurd unrealistic nonsense

I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is Monday's episode the last of the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

Yes. Six episodes in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

People forget that Partridge was the hero in a very highly publicised siege, involving an actual Irishman with a gun, at North Norfolk Digital.

Obviously this would have rekindled the public's interest in a presenter who was always willing to scale the north face of Chatmandu.

Rumor is that Partridge even had the choice of This Time on BBC or Monkey Tennis on Sky. Talks between Chris Eubank and EuroHostels at ITV broke down at an early stage, although Bill Oddie was available to co-present Inner City Sumo .

*Youth hostels wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is Monday's episode the last of the series?

will he get a second series?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ush1 wrote: »
    *Youth hostels wasn't it?

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    No, we would be happy if you didn't.

You can't seriously claim that this show was ever realistic. To sum up one of your points:

No mention of Forbes McAllister's death immediately afterwards - perfectly plausible

No mention of Forbes McAllister's death 25 years later - utterly ridiculous, absurd unrealistic nonsense

I don't buy it.

I agree; I DID say it was ridiculous that there was no mention of Alan shooting Forbes, even though it was an accident, and he was exonerated of any blame. Look, I've said repeatedly my problem is that they haven't explained how and why Alan is on a prime-time BBC show. Stuff that came before it was a bit far-fetched maybe, but there weren't gaping plot holes, and illogical progression like there is now. It riles me because the Gibbons brothers clearly know their stuff with regards to Alan, and I,Partridge (which they largely wrote) covers every aspect of Alan's life and history in great detail. They have just gotten extremely casual and sloppy since the Alpha Papa movie. Everything is a bit random now, rather than well-thought-out.

I never said Alan is realistic, but the story has to make sense and have a certain plausibility for the characters involved.

Advertisement