Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The possibility of a second series...with Ruth Duggan replacing Jennie :D
    I think this would be Alan's reaction to that news :pac:

t8QjQ3ARncdr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Great callback at the end... "can I have a glass of water please", Alan back to the same meek person he was in episode one (after slowly getting more arrogant and dickish over the series)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

That was the poorest episode of the season i thought, but still a few really funny moments.

'Eat a snack, fat back'

'Mogadishu, Mogadishu, we all fall down'!

Overall i really enjoyed the series, some really funny moments that will become classic Partridge. It wasn't as good as earlier Partridge, but I didn't think it would ever reach those heights again (new writers or whatever reason).

But it was good to see Alan back on TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

we are out of time......you sneaky so and so's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

furiousox wrote: »
    He was quite horrible at the start of the show, Partridge was always a clown but he was never that nasty & spiteful before.
    Strange thing to do to the character.

Ah here. Stop getting Partridge wrong! He wouldn't let his girlfriend live in his new massive house in S2 of I'm Alan Partridge, but wanted her to live in the static home beside it so he could have the easy ride. He always made fun of the friendly, helpful Michael and his accent. He would make his female assistant walk down an unlit dual carriageway instead of dropping her to a cab rank, as well as regularly making fun about her mother's recent death.

If anything, recent Partridge is more mellow and desperate to be relevant and liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

He always made fun of the friendly, helpful Michael and his accent.

From his book Nomad, "I became a genuine, true friend to Michael. Unfortunately, his lack of qualifications meant I was unable to reciprocate"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

poor Alan suffers from an itchy arse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

↑↑↑↑

This bit had me in stiches. The look on his face as he scrambles to fast-forward only to reveal he looks to be spending half the night scratching himself.

then he gets all flustered and hurries through the interview with the sleep expert:P to avoid further embarrassment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Worst ep of the series.

They needed to flesh out the meltdown with Jennie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Alan had her sussed from day one.
    She is all tits and teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some laughs but weakest the character has been in a long time. I don't really like the format and most of the jokes were rushed or non nonsensical.

The woman on the ledge bit was car crash, in a bad way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought it was the weakest episode too but it still had some very funny moments.

The sleep therapist coming off as a serial killer waiting to happen was hilarious.

I must say though I really wanted another five or ten minutes at the end to see what happened in the meeting with Jennie. It is a shame that they went with a glorified sketch show rather than a proper narrative sitcom.

Overall really enjoyed the series as a whole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

fryup wrote: »
    then he gets all flustered and hurries through the interview with the sleep expert:P to avoid further embarrassment
    Also he hurries it when she starts making out she could do damage to the people while they sleep if she was that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Alan had her sussed from day one.
    She is all tits and teeth

Ohh but what lovely tits & teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

She could have been throwing up all night for all we know and it wouldn't show, perhaps thats how she keeps her figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If I had to describe this show with a single word it would have to be "moribund".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every episode I have drifted off, which tells me it's not quite good enough. Having a lame translated interview segment for laughs in 2019 is really lazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I enjoyed the whole series but yeah it was definitely missing something, writing department would be the obvious problem, the first series of MidMorning Matters was done on a shoestring budget as an ad promo for Fosters and multiple times per ep I had to pause it I was laughing so hard at it in a way I never do with any other comedy purely on the quality of the writing, you just dont get that with this series, it has its moments but its way off for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Thargor wrote: »
    I enjoyed the whole series but yeah it was definitely missing something, writing department would be the obvious problem, the first series of MidMorning Matters was done on a shoestring budget as an ad promo for Fosters and multiple times per ep I had to pause it I was laughing so hard at it in a way I never do with any other comedy purely on the quality of the writing, you just dont get that with this series, it has its moments but its way off for the most part.

The first series of MMM was the last time Alan that was truly great. The writing and the direction they are taking the character has been off ever since. I still come back to the absence of Armando Iannucci: he must have been steering the Alan ship for years, and it's gone off course since his involvement stopped a few years back. I think comedy has changed in general though, and not for the better, especially at the BBC, and Coogan and co got sucked into that trap of mediocrity.

And I know I get slagged for going on about Iannucci so much, but how else to explain the downturn in quality? It started exactly after he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That wasn't a great end to the series at all. Like the weaker episodes it had some great lines but it felt all over the place. I think the series had some of the funniest Partridge moments but few of the episodes flowed like previous series.

I really liked episodes 3, 4 and 5 but they still had some really dud moments. That said I think the series has also produced 2 of the best characters in Martin Brennan and Ruth Duggan. It's a shame some of the characters weren't fleshed out a bit more. I feel like I know more about John the builder than Jennie for example.

Anyways, it was a good series with some real dud episodes. I'm glad they did it. I'd rather have an hour or so of funny partridge than none at all.

Now back to laughing at Sausage breakwaters on Facebook. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

An interview Alan did with the BBC in 2011. It's very funny, despite Richard Bacon's presence:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,461 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“I’d rather be Vin Diesel than vindictive.”

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The final episode wasn't the best in my opinion, but I've thoroughly enjoyed having new Partridge! It's definitely been left open for another series so hopefully there's more to come.

Give him another series you swine!

...yeah give me another series you sh1t!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yeah I really enjoyed the series overall and laughed throughout - a lot of that is down to how good Coogan was (and Tim Key and Susannah Fielding)

Bits of it were hit and miss (the arrest section of Monday's show didn't make a lot of sense but I loved the way he got a taller, better looking actor to portray himself) but no more so than KMKY which is the previous Partridge show it most resembled.

Hopefully with Alan facing the sack again, we'll get another series of IAP; he's at his funniest when he's at his lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭brian_t

I hope that there is another series but I think it would be more at home on BBC Two.

MillField wrote: »
    The final episode wasn't the best in my opinion, but I've thoroughly enjoyed having new Partridge! It's definitely been left open for another series so hopefully there's more to come.

Give him another series you swine!

...yeah give me another series you sh1t!

maybe a Jeremy Kyle send up? having a chat show full of chavs and their delinquent families....with Alan making disparaging remarks to them and they in turn attacking him verbally & physically :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'd love to see a series where Alan gets picked up by Netflix to do a series because somebody made a mistake in programming an algorithm and thought he was really popular and trending with some weird demographic they have identified as being an area of explosive growth :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Arciphel wrote: »
    I'd love to see a series where Alan gets picked up by Netflix

S02E03-bMG1m3Ip-subtitled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I'd love to see a documentary chronicling Alan's time on a fictional or real reality TV show, like I'm a Celeb or Big Brother etc, where he is trying desperately to regain prominence in the public eye.

It could include interviews with him and his inner circle after he gets out, and show clips of what happened to him in there. Maybe Alan had to leave the show due to suffering a (comedic) breakdown or going berserk on a fellow contestant?

I think a one off documentary about his time on a reality TV show would be better than, say, a full series of him on a reality TV show. If they stretched it out to a full series it would soon wear thin, and they would need to include lots of other fake celebrities to be on the show with Alan as well, which would get annoying after a while. If they used real celebrities, such as people from TOWIE or an actor from Coronation Street, it would seem kind of desperate and unrealistic in the sense that we could tell that Alan is just a fictional character.

Advertisement