Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotel shooting pigeons in underground carpark

• 05-04-2016 6:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

A local hotel has started shooting pigeons that were living in its underground car park. The chicks were killed as well.

Is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So you'd be happy to have them sh***ing all over the place? Will you clean the place afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So you'd be happy to have them sh***ing all over the place? Will you clean the place afterwards?

Bit of an extreme reaction to some bird sh*t in fairness.

Op I doubt it's legal to kill wild animals on such a mass scale. Also not sure about gun laws etc in a public place like a hotel car park.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Who ruffled your feathers?

You didn't even try to answer my question, so why are you even posting here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bird crap damages paint on cars, who will pay for that damage? I'm sure if you were to setup a telethon to finance the damage the hotels would be happy to let the pigeons stay. They are classified as vermin like rats so can be killed at will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Op I doubt it's legal to kill wild animals on such a mass scale. Also not sure about gun laws etc in a public place like a hotel car park.

A pest controller can legally execute a bird shoot but there is a requirement that a licence must be obtained from the local wildlife ranger for some birds which is usually as a last resort or just not given. I doubt pigeons fall into that category.

Best the OP contact their local wildlife ranger if they're unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shooting pigeons is legal. If the hotel were clever they could charge the guests a fee to let them shoot

Lads, calm down. It's a simple question from the OP. There are other humane ways of clearing pigeons from car parks than shooting them and their chicks ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Wow, it must be a depressing existence to hold such contempt for other creatures. God forbid a bit of bird crap might damage your car, or you have to wash it off your building. Better just kill them all instead. Sure their lives mean nothing anyway, just stamp them out.

They're classed as pests and could be a health and safety issue for the hotel. Who knows, maybe they've tried all other forms of pest control and it's simply a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

Name the hotel. I'm sure they're willing to stand by their measures having proof of trying all other possibilities befor this last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Name the hotel. I'm sure they're willing to stand by their measures having proof of trying all other possibilities befor this last resort.

Don't name the hotel.

They were previously trying to bludgeon them to death, but stopped when a customer complained of blood on his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pugzilla wrote: »
    They were previously trying to bludgeon them to death, but stopped when a customer complained of blood on his car.

Who is doing the shooting? Staff members? Pest control company? I'd be more worried about the risk to the public in a public car park tbh.

I think people are a bit naive here. It's a harsh reality but things like this happen all the time.

Have a read of this http://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations with particular note to the State Wide derogation link on the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mass scale?

I wonder what Kali from Mongrels would say?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,898 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Do they ever have pigeon on the menu in the restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

CCTV of the staff has being uploaded on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28oKDPp2zi0

Is this a wind-up?

How does one get close enough to a pigeon to 'bludgeon' it anyway?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Mass scale?

I wonder what Kali from Mongrels would say?

I have no idea who you're talking about but I'd say shooting all pigeons nesting in a car park qualifies as mass scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Esel wrote: »
    Is this a wind-up?

How does one get close enough to a pigeon to 'bludgeon' it anyway?

Cover yourself in breadcrumbs, easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Coo Coo Coo Coo Coo
    Coo Coo Coo Coo Coo
    Coo Coo Coo Coo Coo, Coo

I'd shoot the bloody things if I could, 5am in the morning above my bedroom window waking me up. Just joking, I wouldn't harm dem flying rats, but sometimes I really want to :)

I have no idea who you're talking about but I'd say shooting all pigeons nesting in a car park qualifies as mass scale.
    Say there were ten pigeons in total, would that be 'mass scale?

Kali:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JbojpYGAG3k

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Under European law, it's illegal to shoot any wild bird but the Irish government issues a derogation for species like pigeons, crows, grey crows, jackdaws and magpies to be shot if they are causing damage to crops and/or property ect, and also has bylaws allowing for the shooting of game birds (of which pigeons are a member) in their respective seasons.

Chances are they are being shot with air rifles in a closed space like a car park as a normal rifle would prove too dangerous with ricochets, over penetration etc.

What I'd be concerned about if I were the hotel is the law which says you cannot discharge a firearm (which includes air rifles) within 20 metres or 60 feet from a dwelling or public road.

Do hotels count as dwellings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wow, it must be a depressing existence to hold such contempt for other creatures. God forbid a bit of bird crap might damage your car, or you have to wash it off your building. Better just kill them all instead. Sure their lives mean nothing anyway, just stamp them out.

And yet thousands of chickens are killed each day for lunch rolls. I don't see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

I won't be parking there again. Feathers all over the car, so there was, the last time I parked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Shooting them is a lot more humane than poisoning them. They are pests anyways and in no danger of extinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

screamer wrote:
    Shooting them is a lot more humane than poisoning them. They are pests anyways and in no danger of extinction.

No different from an infestation of rats imo, why are people okay with exterminating one pest and not another?

It's the <snip> for anyone interested. If it's legal then they won't have a problem being named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It's the <snip> for anyone interested. If it's legal then they won't have a problem being named.

Fair play. I've often wanted a go at the pigeons and seagulls around Dublin.

Noise dirty feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And if it's not legal then we'd rather not have the hotel's name published here thanks.

Change thread title:

Hotel shooting - 'rats' slaughtered in underground carpark

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    This forum is not for discussion of pest control. It says so in the charter.
    There has already been an on-thread warning not to discuss pest control.
    Yet pest control is still being discussed.
    That's enough of that for this forum.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement