Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finders Fee?

Options
  • 05-04-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Just wondering what people have paid to property managers?

I have had a disaster with the company I took on to manage my one bed house - and so I rang the other day to ask about late rent (yes I've had to chase the property manager twice for rent) and I expressed a desire to take back the property - they said that was "fine".

Now I've been launched with an invoice which conveniently suddenly has a 'finders fee' of €1200 which is the exact amount of the tenants deposit. They posted an ad, had one viewing and took on a tenant who I've had doubts about from the start - the references were their boyfriends and they were on probation in their brand new job. I've paid them 10% of rent each month as well.

Anyone know if this is kosher? I have all my emails back and forth and that fee was never mentioned - just a 8.5% of the rent if they find the tenant and 10% if they don't. I can't really afford to pay that fee. Any advise really appreciated. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Was there a signed contract between you & the agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lconmara

April 73 wrote: »
    Was there a signed contract between you & the agent?

No....I'm a dope. Its a reputable well known agent in the area so I just followed their lead. I feel so stupid. It was never so much as hinted at that there was a fee for the service over the amount they told me in emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's generally a letting fee and a management fee. The monthly payment sounds like a management fee so yes you may be liable for the letting fee

Yeah, some have that some don't. I just can't figure why it was never mentioned. It feels like they are just slapping that on now. Oh well lesson learned. NEVER trust an estate agent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Complain to the PSRA. That is unacceptable!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much - I have written to them now. The whole tenancy has been a nightmare - I won't go into everything but it included four emails in one day about the wire on the back roof which I had told the tenant would be removed by the ESB and was harmless. Another email about no phone signal in the house which has never been an issue for any of the people who come and go from there. No rent paid on time. The tenants references were her boyfriends and I was led to believe he was the tenant until after she had signed her lease. Tenant is on probation in her job and has just started working in Ireland - to me that is really not a good bet. Its all madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

lconmara wrote: »
    No....I'm a dope. Its a reputable well known agent in the area so I just followed their lead. I feel so stupid. It was never so much as hinted at that there was a fee for the service over the amount they told me in emails.

I really think the agent needs to be able to show you in writing where you were informed of the fee. I don't think they can just announce this at this point & I would definitely not roll over & accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

There has to be a signed contract and one that comes from the PSRA itself.
    If they don't have a signed one and have been providing a service for you they will be in a lot of trouble with the regulator.
    Make sure to complain!

Advertisement