Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral advice

Options
  • 05-04-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey anyone got any tips for helping with nerves during the oral. I had a mock oral last week and I could barely get through the poem because of nerves. Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I remember watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy over the summer in which one of the doctors held a "Superman" pose for 5 minutes before attempting a big surgery. It sounds stupid and I was certain it was just for television but I gave it a Google anyways and turns out it's actually psychologically shown to help increase your power hormones (like testestorone) and decrease your stress hormones (like cortisol). Thus standing in this position can help you to feel more powerful and in turn act that way. It should help reduce your nerves and help you to be more confident. It might seem silly but sure is it not worth a try? :p

Here's two articles about it that I found on a quick Google search: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-superheroes/201107/why-you-may-want-stand-superhero
    http://www.wired.com/2012/05/st_cuddy/
    I'm certain there's much more research out there on it too!

Best of luck with your oral exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

Thanks for your reply. I saw that episode too. It sounds like a good idea and the articles are really interesting. I'll try it tomorrow in class when reading and as well next week. Thanks for your help. Good luck with your oral as well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seriously, the examiner is trying his/her best to give you as many marks as they can. If you make a mistake, go back over it and do it correctly.

They know people are nervous, they will make allowances for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

I just thought about this, can you do a foundation oral and written papers at ordinary? sounds crazy probably lol

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    I just thought about this, can you do a foundation oral and written papers at ordinary? sounds crazy probably lol

The oral is common level, the Oral Examiner doesn't know your level

• Advertisement
Advertisement