Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Correctness - "Rathkeale Connections"

• 05-04-2016 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Six men were today jailed in Britain for their attempts to plunder British museums of rhino horn and other priceless Chinese artefacts.

RTE - like other media - describes them as "The 13-man gang, dubbed the Rathkeale Rovers because of their links to the Co Limerick town"

Why can't they come straight out and say they were Travellers?

There are many, many issues related to the Traveller community and their interface with the "settled" community but glossing over issues like the high levels of crime associated with Travellers is not going to help.

The first step in solving any problem is recognising the problem and we need to face up to this one and seek to identify the causes behind it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Mainly because too many muppets then use it as an excuse to discriminate against travellers as a whole.

It's going the same way with Islamic extremism. Pretty soon it'll be dangerous to refer to Islamic extremism because too many idiots will start to automatically associate "Muslim" with "terrorist" and use that to promote discrimination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RTE Radio one did refer to them as travellers yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Wee Ollie wrote: »
    Why can't they come straight out and say they were Travellers?
    Because it’s unnecessary?
    Wee Ollie wrote: »
    The first step in solving any problem is recognising the problem and we need to face up to this one and seek to identify the causes behind it.
    Indeed. I think we call all recognised that there is a problem with discriminating against travellers that we all need to face up to. Maybe you could suggest some of the causes behind it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pretty soon it'll be dangerous to refer to Islamic extremism because too many idiots will start to automatically associate "Muslim" with "terrorist" and use that to promote discrimination.
    Yeah, because that hasn’t already happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, because that hasn’t already happened.

It hasn't become socially acceptable the way it's socially acceptable to talk sh!t about travellers though. It's still something you'll find mainly on internet forums and in rowdy pub chat etc. Hatred of and generalisation of travellers is something I've seen even amongst my most PC relatives and friends - it's something which is not considered socially unacceptable or un PC anymore. If the same were to happen to Muslims on a mainstream scale, the consequences would be disastrous.

Let me put it another way: You wouldn't expect to find a neighbourhood protesting against a group of Muslims being given emergency accommodation in their vicinity after their own houses burned down, and if you did, they certainly wouldn't make their Islamophobic bias obvious when talking to the media about it. When the same happened with travellers, on the other hand, people had no problem making statements to the media such as "they make noise all night" "they dump litter everywhere" etc, referring to travellers in general rather than just the specific group involved. And they had backers all over social media and all over the letters sections of newspapers.

If somebody were to object to Muslims moving in on the grounds that "they enslave women and they blow themselves up when you least expect it", there'd be absolute uproar. There's no uproar when somebody says of travellers "they engage in anti social behaviour", even when it's an identical case of smearing an entire demographic based on its worst and fringest elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It hasn't become socially acceptable the way it's socially acceptable to talk sh!t about travellers though. It's still something you'll find mainly on internet forums and in rowdy pub chat etc. Hatred of and generalisation of travellers is something I've seen even amongst my most PC relatives and friends - it's something which is not considered socially unacceptable or un PC anymore. If the same were to happen to Muslims on a mainstream scale, the consequences would be disastrous.

Let me put it another way: You wouldn't expect to find a neighbourhood protesting against a group of Muslims being given emergency accommodation in their vicinity after their own houses burned down, and if you did, they certainly wouldn't make their Islamophobic bias obvious when talking to the media about it. When the same happened with travellers, on the other hand, people had no problem making statements to the media such as "they make noise all night" "they dump litter everywhere" etc, referring to travellers in general rather than just the specific group involved. And they had backers all over social media and all over the letters sections of newspapers.

If somebody were to object to Muslims moving in on the grounds that "they enslave women and they blow themselves up when you least expect it", there'd be absolute uproar. There's no uproar when somebody says of travellers "they engage in anti social behaviour", even when it's an identical case of smearing an entire demographic based on its worst and fringest elements.

In the case your referring to, the locals did have direct experience of the families that the council were attempting to install in their estate without any consultation or following the planning process.
    Their objections were based directly on experience of having lived less than half a mile down the road from them for the previous number of years.
    As a member of a sports club in the area, I know from personal experience that prior to the tragedy you'd have had a very hard time finding anyone in the local area with anything positive to say about the families.

My parents have settled travellers living beside them at home. My father works in the building trade, and some of his longest standing employees came from traveller families. All decent people, and all are quite quick to complain that it's a large minority within the traveller community (not the very few that SJWs are so fond to claim) that paint the rest of the community in a bad light. However, the same people who complain also point out that it would run contrary to traveller culture to "betray" one of their own to the "settled" authorities.

There's good and bad eggs (like in all walks of life), but when it comes to travellers there's equally as many self-righteous "useful idiots" who are eager to disregard any genuine objections as "racist" as there are actual bigots who won't ever have a positive word to say about travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Palmach

Mainly because too many muppets then use it as an excuse to discriminate against travellers as a whole.

It's going the same way with Islamic extremism. Pretty soon it'll be dangerous to refer to Islamic extremism because too many idiots will start to automatically associate "Muslim" with "terrorist" and use that to promote discrimination.

Slight difference. Islamic terrorism is just that. It is inspired by the religion of Islam. It is therefore correct to point out the links between 9/11, Bali, Madrid, Charlie Hebdo, Brussels and a literal interpretation of the Koran and the life of the purported founder of the Islamic religion Muhammad.

Travelers make a big deal about their ethnicity and claim they are a separate ethnic group. If that is what they want then if they commit crimes as a group it is right to point out that the group are Travelers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,224 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

blackwhite wrote: »
    In the case your referring to, the locals did have direct experience of the families that the council were attempting to install in their estate without any consultation or following the planning process.

hold on. the council did consult. they just didn't consult earlier then they did. they also did follow the guide lines and rules laid down upon them. they are cash strapped however, so nimby's whining means it's cheeper to find somewhere else.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    (not the very few that SJWs are so fond to claim)

when it comes to travellers there's equally as many self-righteous "useful idiots" who are eager to disregard any genuine objections as "racist"

sjws don't exist, a term made up by (yes you guessed it)

nobody disregards genuine objections as "racist"

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What on earth are these sjws that don't exist? Female jesuits? ( Society of Jesus women )

Advertisement