Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COSMOS_25 ( 2016 / Athlone)

Options
  • 05-04-2016 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just seen this one around:

COSMOS 25 Star Party April 14th to 16th 2016 hosted by Midlands Astronomy Club, Ireland.

"
    Hosted annualy by Midlands Astronomy Club in Ireland since 1992, COSMOS consists of talks interspersed with tea breaks (included) and lunches (own expense). Throughout the weekend you can avail of:

• Guest Lectures from leading experts

• Exhibits and Displays

• Astrophotography

• Astro Buy & Sell

• Spot prizes & raffles

• Cosmic Dinner

• Observing Sessions

• Good fun and relaxation

"

Anyone going ?
    Have fun...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Bit pricey...not aimed at peasants. They should have played around with the pricing abit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Yes, but priceless company and craic!
    And why not, to see your fellow astronomers that you know only by name at "night time", on day light ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Just seen this one around:

COSMOS 25 Star Party April 14th to 16th 2016 hosted by Midlands Astronomy Club, Ireland.

"
    Hosted annualy by Midlands Astronomy Club in Ireland since 1992, COSMOS consists of talks interspersed with tea breaks (included) and lunches (own expense). Throughout the weekend you can avail of:

• Guest Lectures from leading experts

• Exhibits and Displays

• Astrophotography

• Astro Buy & Sell

• Spot prizes & raffles

• Cosmic Dinner

• Observing Sessions

• Good fun and relaxation

"

Anyone going ?
    Have fun...

I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Bit pricey...not aimed at peasants. They should have played around with the pricing abit more.

Just saw this now! As one of the core organisers of COSMOS through the years, it's always good to get feedback for our efforts (good and bad).

I know your post is not a dig Tombstone, but generally the admission prices of star parties in Ireland is a reflection of what you get. There were various price ranges according to what you wanted to take part in at COSMOS 25, and it was our most expensive to date, both in terms of cost and admission.

The top end price was for the whole weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) including bus trip and gate admission into Birr Castle. All admissions included the weekend lectures, bottle rocket launches, table quiz with prizes, programme+handouts+COSMOS 25 souvenir pen (handcrafted, woodturned by one of our members), refreshment breaks (tea+coffee+biscuits, 3 of them) - all centred around good company, expert advice, interesting exhibits, buy and sell, and great craic!

Some say it was great value, others say it was a little expensive. But it's the aftertaste that is the most important part. Seeing how positive it has been year after year, and seeing as Midlands Astronomy Club (formerly Tullamore Astronomical Society, founded in 1986) has been hosting Ireland's longest running star party since 1992, means that all aspects of it (according to visitors and organisers alike) can justify such cost.

Like I said, feedback is welcomed, and MAC is always open to suggestions. And to new members coming on board too: there is always something for someone to do throughout the year, from helping out on our monthly lecture nights or on the committee, to chipping in at our public outreach events, to contributing something to COSMOS. So get in touch!

I am not Secretary this year, I have taken a step back after 14 years in the role, but the current guy (Jason Fallon) can be contacted via midlandsastronomy@gmail.com or put in a message here on this thread.

Clear Skies,

Seanie Morris,
    MAC member.

8eae8103-1c59-44b8-957e-c93ebf9122e0-original.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Seanie M wrote: »
    Just saw this now! As one of the core organisers of COSMOS through the years, it's always good to get feedback for our efforts (good and bad).

I know your post is not a dig Tombstone, but generally the admission prices of star parties in Ireland is a reflection of what you get. There were various price ranges according to what you wanted to take part in at COSMOS 25, and it was our most expensive to date, both in terms of cost and admission.

The top end price was for the whole weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) including bus trip and gate admission into Birr Castle. All admissions included the weekend lectures, bottle rocket launches, table quiz with prizes, programme+handouts+COSMOS 25 souvenir pen (handcrafted, woodturned by one of our members), refreshment breaks (tea+coffee+biscuits, 3 of them) - all centred around good company, expert advice, interesting exhibits, buy and sell, and great craic!

Some say it was great value, others say it was a little expensive. But it's the aftertaste that is the most important part. Seeing how positive it has been year after year, and seeing as Midlands Astronomy Club (formerly Tullamore Astronomical Society, founded in 1986) has been hosting Ireland's longest running star party since 1992, means that all aspects of it (according to visitors and organisers alike) can justify such cost.

Like I said, feedback is welcomed, and MAC is always open to suggestions. And to new members coming on board too: there is always something for someone to do throughout the year, from helping out on our monthly lecture nights or on the committee, to chipping in at our public outreach events, to contributing something to COSMOS. So get in touch!

I am not Secretary this year, I have taken a step back after 14 years in the role, but the current guy (Jason Fallon) can be contacted via midlandsastronomy@gmail.com or put in a message here on this thread.

Clear Skies,

Seanie Morris,
    MAC member.

8eae8103-1c59-44b8-957e-c93ebf9122e0-original.jpeg
    I'm afraid you wasted your time Seanie, his account has been inactive since late Sept, I'm led to believe that he closed it in or about that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement