Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subject to inspection

Options
  • 05-04-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi all
    a place has come up in an area we'd love to move to. it needs a bit of work but it is a really good price. can you put an offer subject to an engineer (or building inspector or whoever) looking at it and making sure there's nothing majorly wrong with it??
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi all
    a place has come up in an area we'd love to move to. it needs a bit of work but it is a really good price. can you put an offer subject to an engineer (or building inspector or whoever) looking at it and making sure there's nothing majorly wrong with it??
    thanks

Offer subject to survey is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the quick reply athtrasna. is it a surveyor or engineer (or someone else) who would usually do this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

Subject to survey is very common. But, in reality, you don't have to state this. You can offer any amount and increase/decrease it at any stage prior to completion. Likewise a seller can accept and then renege at any stage prior to signing. Your offer is in no way binding - nor is their acceptance.

As an aside, what are the issues you are worried about ? Perhaps someone has experienced similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

c_meth wrote: »
    Subject to survey is very common. But, in reality, you don't have to state this. You can offer any amount and increase/decrease it at any stage prior to completion. Likewise a seller can accept and then renege at any stage prior to signing. Your offer is in no way binding - nor is their acceptance.

As an aside, what are the issues you are worried about ? Perhaps someone has experienced similar?

nothing specifically worrying us but i suppose i just dont want to buy it and find out i missed something that an engineer/surveyor would have spotted. never bought a house like this before so just being cautious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that if it is an auction, that if your bid is accepted, that's it, binding contract, no 'subject to survey', no 'subject to mortgage' or other qualification, but in most other property transactions it is only binding when you sign the contract.
    thanks for the quick reply athtrasna. is it a surveyor or engineer (or someone else) who would usually do this??
    If you have specific structural worries, use an engineer, otherwise a building surveyor would be preferable. However, there are probably a wide variety of people you could use, including some other surveyors, architects, builders, etc. However, I would be slow to use a builder, especially if said builder expects to do the repairs.

Try to get recommendations from people you trust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

nothing specifically worrying us but i suppose i just dont want to buy it and find out i missed something that an engineer/surveyor would have spotted. never bought a house like this before so just being cautious!!

You're right to be cautious.

Plenty of surveyors in the phone book that do exactly what you are looking for, ie a pre purchase survey. However, be aware that most surveys will only look at what is easily visible. They won't be lifting carpets to check floors, they won't be climbing around your attic space (they will stick their head in and visually examine insulation/joists/trusses), they won't be checking that your septic tank is working (if applicable).

Its important, therefore, that if you suspect a problem you should explicitly seek an expert in that field to get an expert opinion, eg if house looks lob sided you might engage a structural engineer.

9 times out of 10 a 'normal' survey will suffice. Is the property a one off house or part of a development?

Advertisement