Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaotic new branch layout

Options
  • 05-04-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I've been to a number of branches recently to address various issues with my account and have found the new physical layout of the branch to be confusing and far less effective.

There is no customer service desk - nobody knows where to queue and it is impossible to know who is next to be served. It seems that the more forceful the customer is, the better chance he /she has of getting the staff's attention.

In one branch a staff member told me she would be 'back in a second' and left me standing there for fifteen minutes. In another there were angry and confused looking customers standing and sitting around the branch with no staff in sight for over ten minutes. When a staff member returned nobody knew who was next to be attended to.

In a third branch, I queried a staff member as to how to get in-branch information - I was told I should (I quote) 'loiter around' the centre of the floor and try to get somebody's attention.

I had cause to visit branches of both the AIB and Ulster Bank in recent weeks and have found that the Customer Information desk and queue system remains in both banks, and as such service is far more orderly and effective.

I would like to know whether these issues are going to be addressed within the Bank of Ireland; as I am seriously considering switching banks to one that has more regard for its in-branch customers. And please don't tell me that these changes were implemented to make service more efficient or effective - this may be true, but it is not working.

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi,
    I've been to a number of branches recently to address various issues with my account and have found the new physical layout of the branch to be confusing and far less effective.

There is no customer service desk - nobody knows where to queue and it is impossible to know who is next to be served. It seems that the more forceful the customer is, the better chance he /she has of getting the staff's attention.

In one branch a staff member told me she would be 'back in a second' and left me standing there for fifteen minutes. In another there were angry and confused looking customers standing and sitting around the branch with no staff in sight for over ten minutes. When a staff member returned nobody knew who was next to be attended to.

In a third branch, I queried a staff member as to how to get in-branch information - I was told I should (I quote) 'loiter around' the centre of the floor and try to get somebody's attention.

I had cause to visit branches of both the AIB and Ulster Bank in recent weeks and have found that the Customer Information desk and queue system remains in both banks, and as such service is far more orderly and effective.

I would like to know whether these issues are going to be addressed within the bank if Ireland; as I am seriously considering switching banks to one that has more regard for its in-branch customers.  And please don't tell me that these changes were implemented to make service more efficient or effective - this may be true,  but it is not working.

Thanks

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

We're very sorry to hear you're unhappy with the service in our branches. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback on your experience and we will certainly pass this on to our Branch Network. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian Walsh Pictures

Thank you, Sharon.

Please note my issue is not with the staff, who seem to be trying their best to control a situation that is often out of control.  In fact, the people I know who work at the Bank of Ireland have agreed with the points I have made.

My main issues are the lack of an Information Desk, or at least any indication as to where to go for information; and the lack of a queuing system.  I have been told there is supposed to be a welcoming officer at the door; but I have only seen this implemented in one of the many branches I have visited lately.

I have had a personal account with the BOI for almost 23 years.  I opened a second (business) account with the BOI two years ago; but if I had known then the direction that customer service was heading, I would definitely have opened this second account elsewhere.  As I say, the Ulster Bank and the AIB are far more helpful; and make it very clear where to go for information and how to queue, and I am struggling to see why I shouldn't close both accounts and start banking with one of them instead.

Regards

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Thank you, Sharon.

Please note my issue is not with the staff, who seem to be trying their best to control an situation that is often out of control.  In fact, the people I know who work at the Bank of Ireland have agreed with the points I have made.

My main issues are the lack of an Information Desk, or at least any indication as to where to go for information; and the lack of a queuing system.  I have been told there is supposed to be a welcoming officer at the door; but I have only seen this implemented in one of the many branches I have visited lately.

I have had a personal account with the BOI for almost 23 years.  I opened a second (business) account with the BOI two years ago; but if I had known then the direction that customer service was heading, I would definitely have opened this second account elsewhere.  As I say, the Ulster Bank and the AIB are far more helpful; and make it very clear where to go for information and how to queue, and I am struggling to see why I shouldn't close both accounts and start banking with one of them instead.

Regards

Brian
    We're sorry to hear this Brian, we do hope you reconsider closing your account with us. If you would like to let us know the specific branches you have visited, we can certainly note this with your feedback. 

If you wish to raise a formal complaint with us regarding your experience, please see our Customer Complaints Process here

Thanks,

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian Walsh Pictures

Thanks again for getting back to me.  I will indeed be going through the complaints process.  The branches I have had problems in were in Kells, Lucan, Finglas and Rathmines - the only other branch I've visited lately was the Central Bank, which has retained its queues and customer service desks and as such is operating efficiently.

As I have said my problem is not with individual staff members but with the chaos and confusion caused by the lack of either a queuing system or a visible information desk.

Regards

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Thanks again for getting back to me.  I will indeed be going through the complaints process.  The branches I have had problems in were in Kells, Lucan, Finglas and Rathmines - the only other branch I've visited lately was the Central Bank, which has retained its queues and customer service desks and as such is operating efficiently.

As I have said my problem is not with individual staff members but with the chaos and confusion caused by the lack of either a queuing system or a visible information desk.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Thanks again for your feedback, we'll forward your comments to our Branch Network. Please let us know here if we can help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement