Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MARTIAL ARTS FRANCHISE DO THEY REALLY WORK

• 05-04-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

iVE NOTICED ALOT OF MARTIAL ARTS FRANCHISE BEING OFFERED AROUND . WHATS YOU OPINION OF THEM:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty vague post tbh. Do you mean from the point of view of the customer/member, or from the point of view of the owner/operator?

In both cases it depends on the exact franchise I imagine. There are some very successful international franchises (Gracie Barra and SBGi as two examples). But their are likely many terrible franchises, who are hoping people will throw money at them.

It's like saying do franchise restaurants do good food - It depends on franchise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

THE REASON IM ASKING IS THAT IT SEEMS TO BE THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING AS REGUARDING MARTIAL ARTS LEARNING. iM NOT TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE WHO HAS TRAINED TO A HIGHT LEVEL WITHIN THEIR ASSOCIATION AND WISHES TO KEEP USING THEIR INSTRUCTORS NAME SO PAYS AN ASSOCIATION FEE OR A HIGHT LEVEL INSTRUCTOR WHO WANTS TO TEACH ANOTHER PERSONS SYLLABUS AND USE THERE NAME TO INCREASE BUSINESS.

YEARS AGO PEOPLE WHERE LAUGHED AT FOR GOING ON WEEKEND COURSES TO OBTAIN A BLACK BELT OR A INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATION. i KNOW SOME INSTRUCTORS WHO HAVE WENT ON SUCCESSFULLY AFTER DOING A WEEKEND COURSE
    ALSO I KNOW GUYS WHO HAVE BROUGHT INTO A FRANCHISE ARE PAYING OVER £1000 A YEAR TO HAVE A 12 MONTH INSTRUCTORSHIP AND THATS ON TOP OF £100S TO ATTEND AN INSTRUCTOR COURSE. PERSONALLY THE SIGMA OF WEEKEND BLACK BELT INSTRUCTORS IS GONE ITS EVERY ONE FOR THEMSELVES

YEARS AGO PEOPLE WHERE LAUGHED AT FOR GOING ON WEEKEND COURSES TO OBTAIN A BLACK BELT OR A INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATION. i KNOW SOME INSTRUCTORS WHO HAVE WENT ON SUCCESSFULLY AFTER DOING A WEEKEND COURSE
    If somebody gets a black belt in a weekend, they'd still be very much laughed at. And rightfully so.

You know instructors who have been "successful" after after a weekend course. What were they successful in? Did this course result in a weekend black belt?
    It's not very clear what you are talking about. But I highly doubt a weekend black belt was competed successfully at a high level.
    ALSO I KNOW GUYS WHO HAVE BROUGHT INTO A FRANCHISE ARE PAYING OVER £1000 A YEAR TO HAVE A 12 MONTH INSTRUCTORSHIP AND THATS ON TOP OF £100S TO ATTEND AN INSTRUCTOR COURSE. PERSONALLY THE SIGMA OF WEEKEND BLACK BELT INSTRUCTORS IS GONE ITS EVERY ONE FOR THEMSELVES
    Still not sure what the point is. People are paying for "Instructorships", sounds like nonsense.
    How is the sigma gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

PERSONALLY THE SIGMA OF WEEKEND BLACK BELT INSTRUCTORS IS GONE ITS EVERY ONE FOR THEMSELVES

Well it's not really though, anyone who is into MA's knows that a black belt cannot be achieved within a weekend... not from any syllabus I have seen anyhow.

Even if you had the ability to learn all the technical aspects of a martial art, being able to digest, understand and use them in live sparring takes a considerable amount of time to perfect. I feel the same way about belts being awarded over the internet, you may know the technicalities of a movement but the application is the hard part and takes time to perfect and it needs resisting opponents.

Personally I have no issue with franchised martial arts as long as the parent gym is actively involved with the affiliated clubs. To sell the name and not follow up to ensure certain standards are met is just a money making racket. If the club is actively engaging with the franchisee and acting as it's mentor, then its a good thing.

For example, there are many great examples in Ireland with the likes of SBG who have a template and their affiliated clubs have to adhere to it. Yes, they may make money on the back of it but thats what business is about. They have a standard and it allows regional clubs to offer that standard to members without having to travel to Dublin. The respective head coaches then have JK as their head coach. It's great because it allows continuity across the teaching curriculum and also guarantees that the head coaches are actually well trained themselves... and more to the point, it also allows the head coaches to progress in their respective journey too.

Agree with all of that RoboRat..
    Cat imagine anyone taking a weekend black belts seriously (I'm also not convinced they actually exist).
    Online learning is not useless, but I'd also question online belts. (We both know who we're taking about).

I'm still wondering what the thread is really about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Good topic for discussion OP, but please stop typing in capital letters. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Online learning is not useless, but I'd also question online belts. (We both know who we're taking about).

Oh I agree, I use youtube quite a lot to figure out escapes, subs and then either try to use them in live sparring or if possible, discuss the application with my head coach.

It's impossible for a coach to cater for everyones needs... there are larger people, older people, skinny people, athletic people... not to mention the various levels of experience from blues to browns (advanced class). The coach will work on techniques and those techniques may not suit your style so most people will find techniques that do suit their style and that is where the internet is invaluable.

The key difference to using the internet to learn and improve versus learning from scratch is in the application and live sparring however. To grade based solely on the demonstration online without live application is ludicrous.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Oh I agree, I use youtube quite a lot to figure out escapes, subs and then either try to use them in live sparring or if possible, discuss the application with my head coach.
    Same here, although I often add the extra step of going back to check what I did wrong.
    The key difference to using the internet to learn and improve versus learning from scratch is in the application and live sparring however. To grade based solely on the demonstration online without live application is ludicrous.

Yeah, the whole "technical blue belt" or what ever is stupid. Even if they knew the material perfectly but never rolled. They'd be smashed at the first comp they rock up to.

I've heard that they'll be changing it to a blue stripe belt. That's better imo, esp if stripe vents know they be a white belt in a comp or another gym

where do you live mellor. theres a reason why in asking this

where do you live mellor. theres a reason why in asking this
    I live in Sydney.

I'm just curious how it might be relevant to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    I live in Sydney.

I'm just curious how it might be relevant to the thread.

Its because you keep talking about 'rocking up' to places :D

sorry for the late reply. ive have friends to teach in different countries all over europe. Their attitudes towards martial arts differ In ireland and the uk, there has always been a big influence from America, so these franchise courses or instructor weekends are becoming the norm. even though the person who is offering the courses has went through the old school way of learning.
    What i mean is this. If you want to be good at something you will bust your balls to be the best you can. The people selling these courses know this, they also know that if you dont put the work in you wont achieve your goals. Their aim is to give you a head start an provide assistance in a form of online and dvd learning plus a yearly workshop.

Now you might think if its that easy why dosent everyone do it? The answer is that its down to the individual and they also know that. So just ask yourself 10 people join a martial arts club are they all going to be instructors answer no

But what's the reason for wondering where I live? I do t mind you asking at all, just curious as you said there was a reason.

And these weekend course blackbelt you alluded to. Are they actually awarded a blackbelt for a weekend. I'd put not value in that tbh.

Advertisement