Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So my beloved rescue pet is becoming less of a man tomorrow...

• 05-04-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

He's being Neutered!

I've only every had female dogs so I don't know what to expect with recovery on males...

can anyone shed some light?

Here is the babe with his manlyness intact!

ralph.jpg

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why are you neutering him?

It's not like he will come home pregnant.

I have a male dog and would never do that to him

Most of the benefits of neutering male dogs are behavioral. My dog doesn't have any aggression problems, he doesn't roam and he's not around female dogs unattended.

Sure it would stop him getting benign prostatic hyperplasia and testicular cancer, but I don't think it's worth the negative health effects.

It would triple his risk of obesity and hypothyroidism. More likely to get other types of cancers and dog dementia. Loss of muscle and bone mass. Risks of the surgery itself.

I think you should reconsider it and let your dog keep his testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Most rescues you have to sign an agreement to have the dog neutered when adopting to prevent more unwanted pups.

I have had over 6 males neutered and never had an issues with any of them. 3 days and the stitches will be healed enough for the cone if its needed to come off. Then back to the vet in a week to 10 days to get the stitches out unless they use dissolvable ones then you don't need to go back. Just watch for pulling at the stitches, if they go anywhere near them I have always used a cone.. better safe than sorry..

Much quicker recovery than females :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

So you can't cut their tail off but you can cut their balls out of play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How old is he again because he doesn't look old enough to neuter yet...unless he just had a baby face lol!! :p Large breeds shouldn't be neutered until they're fully grown because it can increase the chances of joint issues and bone cancer. As for recovery he'll be out it it from the anaesthetic for the evening like he has the DT's :pac: then you'll need to keep him from licking at the wound too much and I think restricted until yeh stitches come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My fella came bouncing out of the vet's without a care like nothing had ever happened and both of his were undecended. My bitch was a trembling wreck. Every dog is different, I don't think male/female has much bearing on it as the main bad effects depend on how they react to the anaesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Pugzilla wrote: »

Most of the benefits of neutering male dogs are behavioral. My dog doesn't have any aggression problems, he doesn't roam and he's not around female dogs unattended.

Sure it would stop him getting benign prostatic hyperplasia and testicular cancer, but I don't think it's worth the negative health effects.

It would triple his risk of obesity and hypothyroidism. More likely to get other types of cancers and dog dementia. Loss of muscle and bone mass. Risks of the surgery itself.

If the OP had issues with getting him neutered, she wouldn't have adopted from a rescue.

The rescue that rehomed him would have written it into their contract for adoption. And if Shakencat reneged on that agreement they could technically come and take the pet away.

Rescues have to be black and white with their policies. It doesn't matter if you were the most responsible owner in the world, because the rescue barely knows you, and has only done a rudimentary home check. You could be a front for a puppy farm, somebody who buys dogs for fighting, or the type who lets their dog out to roam. So it HAS to be clear on it's policies of neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

Just had my dog neutered, in and out recovery super fast no cone or anything minimal stitches. Think it depends on the vet. I was really a brilliant decision and think when they are young the recovery is faster. There are arguments for and against but I think the benefits of neutering definitely out weigh the negative risks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My two boys handled it differently. One of them didn't act like anything even happened, the other was probably feeling quite sore, he spent a lot of time sitting down and had a pouty face, he would try to walk in a certain direction then suddenly stop and sit. He also gave me the biggest puppy eyes ever.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey was wide awake and ready to come home at lunchtime. Lucy was asleep in the cage when I got there which has never happened with Bailey lol - the vet was showing me her X-rays on the PC and I didn't even cop that Lucy was asleep in the cage under the counter and she thought twice about getting up to come home with me haha :p She walked home in her sleep and got up on the couch and went to bed lol! Not a bother on her the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

You think its kinder to let him have the urge and never be able to do anything about it? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It didn't change change the personality of our dogs a bit. It did prevent the unwanted visitations from our neighbour's unspayed bitch who used to camp in our garden when we had an entire dog. What they don't know doesn't trouble them. Preventing a horny unneutered dog from getting at an in heat bitch is very frustrating for them and I would prefer to spare them that.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You think its kinder to let him have the urge and never be able to do anything about it? :p

Kinder than mutilating him?

Yes

Would like someone to cut your balls off and throw them in a bin?

If you're a responsible owner then you don't need to neuter your dog.

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword on himself"

Castrate yourself if you think it's such a good idea. I'm sure it would curb your roaming behaviour and urinating on lamposts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Kinder than mutilating him?

Yes

Would like someone to cut your balls off and throw them in a bin?

If you're a responsible owner then you don't need to neuter your dog.

Pugzilla, tone it down please.
    Neither pro-neutering or anti-neutering proponents do themselves any favours by arguing in such an emotive manner. It is not tolerated in this forum.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword on himself"

Castrate yourself if you think it's such a good idea. I'm sure it would curb your roaming behaviour and urinating on lamposts.

Um - if you think you are quoting George RR Martin here youve gotten the quote wrong, its
    “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

And its not remotely related to neutering animals either, its about serving justice in a fantasy world.

I dont think they neuter animals with swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I was convinced the Vet had not actually done the operation it had so little effect on our lad.
    He was 18 months and was right as rain by end of day 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Um - i

I dont think they neuter animals with swords.

Well that's my post of the day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Isn't it crazy these days how people still won't neuter their pets for no particular reason? There are so many dogs and cats dumped around the country because their owners won't neuter them.
    Triple the risk of obesity is ridiculous. A caring dog owner should walk their dog every day and feed them properly. A dog will only get fat if the owner lets him. Also a non-neutered dog can get fat just as easily.
    Also, more likely to get cancer and dementia? Rubbish.
    As long as you don't neuter the dog too young or too old, the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

Regarding the original question, it's a much less stressful procedure than spaying a bitch. It depends on the vet but the last dog we got neutered was running around by the time we got him home that evening. No cone required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

eezipc wrote: »
    Isn't it crazy these days how people still won't neuter their pets for no particular reason? There are so many dogs and cats dumped around the country because their owners won't neuter them.
    Triple the risk of obesity is ridiculous. A caring dog owner should walk their dog every day and feed them properly. A dog will only get fat if the owner lets him. Also a non-neutered dog can get fat just as easily.
    As long as you don't neuter the dog too young or too old, the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

Regarding the original question, it's a much less stressful procedure than spaying a bitch. It depends on the vet but the last dog we got neutered was running around by the time we got him home that evening. No cone required.

My dog is entire, there are no unwanted dogs or cats around the country because he is not neutered. This is also because I am a responsible owner. In one of the breeds I keep neutered males are more likely to get bone cancers even when neutered later in life. Entire dogs are less likely to get joint problems. My neutered terrier has these issues. Neutering & spaying does affect muscle tone & coat. Many handstripped breeds can be difficult or impossible to strip afterwards. Collie/retriever types can get wooly coats.

My entire male is well behaved around bitches, does not mark in the house & is good with other dogs.

There are pro's & cons to neutering. I believe everyone should be aware of them before making a choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Knine wrote: »
    This is also because I am a responsible owner
    Do you think that you represent the average dog owner in terms of awareness, understanding or control?

I'd argue that for the average and I'd even argue even third quartile and higher owner group neutering should be done because they are simply not suitable to have a intact males (and even higher ratio for bitches). There is a very small group of dog owners who do have the appropriate level of understanding, knowledge control to keep intact males and a great many people who think they do but don't. The argument of when to neuter (esp. for larger breeds) is a separate discussion but with the level of understanding that the average dog owner has today in Ireland arguing for a non neutering standpoint is barking up the wrong tree (pun intended) imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As John Oliver once said: "Dogs. The only creatures that love you just as much even after you've had their balls chopped off.

eezipc wrote: »

You do realise dogs get the same health conditions that humans do? We share about 82% of our genes with dogs.

You're really ignorant if you can't understand this. You're taking away a male dogs main source of androgens. Of course it will have detrimental health effect. Similar probelms arise in men who have a bilateral orchidectomy.

If you're going to disagree with me then show me some peer reviewed publicaitons in a reputable journal that refutes this.

Nody wrote: »
    Do you think that you represent the average dog owner in terms of awareness, understanding or control?

I'd argue that for the average and I'd even argue even third quartile and higher owner group neutering should be done because they are simply not suitable to have a intact males (and even higher ratio for bitches). There is a very small group of dog owners who do have the appropriate level of understanding, knowledge control to keep intact males and a great many people who think they do but don't. The argument of when to neuter (esp. for larger breeds) is a separate discussion but with the level of understanding that the average dog owner has today in Ireland arguing for a non neutering standpoint is barking up the wrong tree (pun intended) imo.

I actually agree with you. What I have said is that owners should know both pro's & con's.

You're really ignorant if you can't understand this

Pugzilla,
    I'm not going to ask you again to curb this aggressive posting. Make your point with respect for your fellow posters.
    One more transgression of the "attack the post, not the poster" rule will result in a forum ban.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks
    DBB

We share 60% of our genes with tomatoes but I've never met a tomato with arthritis or cancer but that's probably because I eat them all before they get a chance.

I'm not sure what relevance shared diseases between different species has to do with neutering in any case. There aren't really enough neutered people around to do a comparison study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We share 60% of our genes with tomatoes but I've never met a tomato with arthritis or cancer but that's probably because I eat them all before they get a chance.

I'm not sure what relevance shared diseases between different species has to do with neutering in any case. There aren't really enough neutered people around to do a comparison study.

Do you not watch GOT? :eek: Plenty of evidence there ;)

What's GOT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What's GOT?

:eek: Game of Thrones

Ah I see, my internet's not fast enough for streaming and its the sort of thing my mum refuses to have on the Tele box. I've heard good things though so I might get a box set in the summer when I've no exams lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Hey Guys,

Ralph is roughly 11 months old and is home from the vets, Absolutely off his face haha! Currently sleeping on the floor at the end of my bed!

I don't know why I feel the need to explain this but here it goes!...

He is indeed from a rescue, and was due to get spayed before I rescued him at 4 months.. He was a sick pup and too slim to have been put under with anesthetic (Skin and bone)

I pushed and pushed for longer as I felt it was too young and unsafe with being so sick.

Yes, I did sign a contract, and I was lucky that the rescue allowed me to wait until now, that bit older ( a lot wouldn't even negotiate! )

I have great control over him and he walks with his sister, Raven, freely amongst other dogs in the park, I understand the pros and cons of spaying but if i wanted to rescue this lil guy who badly needed a home, I had to put all aside and do as the rescue wanted - Happily.
    One of the reasons this contract is in place is so that if Ralph went off with Mary down the street, Mary's puppies wouldn't end up in the pound, or even worse.. the wrong hands.

I am 100% happy with my decision to rescue him, and with what needed done to ensure he's in my care - Forever.

If that means he's 'uncool' in your eyes, or if that makes me 'irresponsible'

So be it.

Your views don't matter, all that matters is that my guy is safe in my care, and will be, for as long as he lives.

PS, he has no cone of shame! :)

Look... Neutering has health risks that are well-documented. Not neutering has too. The risks are often over-stated by over-zealous proponents of either.
    However, by far and away the greatest health risk facing collies and their crosses, greyhounds and lurchers, lab crosses, spaniel crosses, huskies and their crosses, German Shepherd crosses, and a fair smattering of other crosses, is simply being born.
    It is a stark fact that thousands of the above die every year simply because they were brought into existence when there is simply no/not enough demand for them. It is a simple fact that the proportion of dogs that die each year from neutering-related health problems is infinitesimal when compared to the proportion of dogs that die each year because they were born at the wrong time in the wrong place.
    I'm broadly pro-neutering, but by the same token I have no problem with a good, responsible owner keeping their dogs intact, and I positively encourage owners of larger breed males to hold-off on neutering til their dog has matured.
    To me, as long as the owner is making a well-informed choice, then nobody needs to justify why they do, or don't, neuter their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor Ralph, was thinking about the cutie last night! So great that he doesnt need a cone (I hate them more than the dogs do - just seem to pile on the stress/anxiety) - hopefully he is less "off his face" today, and not giving you the "poor me, gimme a treat" every 5 mins :o Does Raven seem to know hes in need of TLC or are the two of them back to normal?? Take him easy for a few days and he'll be fine - we could probably do with a new photo of the two soon! Think they are so cute, and so great to see a rescue rottweiller land on his feet so firmly! :)

Heres Ralph the day he came home..( Wednesday)

Very sad :(

IMG_20160406_215359.jpg

This is Yesterday, he was a bit better and a wee bit happier, with his sister Raven..

IMG_20160408_084250.jpg

And here is in the last couple hours making sure my mam was safe and secure on the couch!!
    He's better again today!

At the vets tomorrow to see if all the healing is going well!

IMG_20160408_192133.jpg

In that photo it looks like he still has eh a fine set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

I thought so too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Just as a matter of interest, why isn't possible to do doggy vasectomy?

No risk of unwanted puppies but no messed up hormones

12Phase wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, why isn't possible to do doggy vasectomy?

No risk of unwanted puppies but no messed up hormones

It is possible, as far as I know. But I suppose that many owners choose to neuter not just because of population control (actually, I think this reason may not be top of the list for quite a few owners), but to avoid, prevent, or reduce unwanted testosterone-fuelled behaviours such as scent-marking, humping and other sexual behaviours, wandering, and some forms of aggression. Vasectomy won't address these, so is of no interest to an owner who chooses to neuter their male in order to avail of nicer behaviour... Which I'd guess is the majority of owners who choose to neuter.

Yeah, he looks it in the photos!!

He dosent, i think its swelling!!

He had huge balls to be fair though!

Advertisement