Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional A insurance on super sport

Options
  • 05-04-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, just after getting my provisional A learner permit and in the process of doing my IBT. Has anyone had any luck insuring a 600cc super sport bike (GSXR, ZX6R, CBRR, R6) on a provisional A? One of those bikes is my goal starting out, I know many would not agree that that's a good choice but it is what I have my heart set on and believe that sort of bike will put manners on me.

24 years old, 7 years NCB in a car and full licence not that it matters for the bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

hey in same boat as u OP , minute the company hears theres a "R" in the bike its a no go , ( iv a zx6r) is it first time insurance ? i proved to carol nash its restricted to 35KW still no go , 25 , 8 years NCB in car , dont matter what years NCB you have in car it doesnt come into factor , start off small is my advice and work up your NCB and get experience is my advice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 powerpaul91

Hey pudzey101, ya it's first time insurance on a bike. Rang liberty and the fella I got was less than interested in dealing with me. Immediately said I need a full licence first without even testing the system. I've heard from the biker.ie forum that guys have got insured on those kind of bikes in the same situation as me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hey pudzey101, ya it's first time insurance on a bike. Rang liberty and the fella I got was less than interested in dealing with me. Immediately said I need a full licence first without even testing the system. I've heard from the biker.ie forum that guys have got insured on those kind of bikes in the same situation as me

Try the liberty website, you will be looking at around 1500 tp on a gsxr if it gives you a quote. they are the most lenient and gsxr is the cheapest to insure.

I hope for your sake you have decent experience on big enough MX bikes at the least before buying a supersport as your first road bike.

I got a gsxr as my first but have MX bike experience on a mates bike for about 10 years on 250-400cc, not ideal prep but you are more used to the low power and control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm on an old school provisional A licence. First obtained in 2004. Recently got a quote on a 600cc bandit. €300 fully comprehensive with Aon. Only condition was proof of IBT. I'm 30 years old.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Try the liberty website, you will be looking at around 1500 tp on a gsxr if it gives you a quote. they are the most lenient and gsxr is the cheapest to insure.

I hope for your sake you have decent experience on big enough MX bikes at the least before buying a supersport as your first road bike.

I got a gsxr as my first but have MX bike experience on a mates bike for about 10 years on 250-400cc, not ideal prep but you are more used to the low power and control.

Can't get an online quote anywhere for that style bike, for any range of coverage. Did you manage to get insured on the gsxr on your provisional?

• Advertisement

Can't get an online quote anywhere for that style bike, for any range of coverage. Did you manage to get insured on the gsxr on your provisional?

No but I recall getting an online quote for one messing around on night, pretty sure liberty let me. If they wont you dont have a hope with anyone else tbh.

Mine is 600 with a full licence age 28.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Would you consider something like a Fazer 600 or Hornet?

They will feel like a rocket if you have never had a bike before. Still a lot faster than 99% of the vehicles on the road. Not much slower than a supersport at sane road speeds. Also cheaper insurance and running costs.

Get a year NCB and your full licence, then get your dream bike.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Would you consider something like a Fazer 600 or Hornet?

They will feel like a rocket if you have never had a bike before. Still a lot faster than 99% of the vehicles on the road. Not much slower than a supersport at sane road speeds. Also cheaper insurance and running costs.

Get a year NCB and your full licence, then get your dream bike.

Hey Pugzilla, I'm open to a bandit or hornet I quite like them and it's not like they're short of power at what they are. I just had my hopes set on a super sport but it's not a big deal to get a normal 600 until the day I get the full licence. 400e quote from liberty tpf on a bandit 600 not exactly going to break the bank

Hey Pugzilla, I'm open to a bandit or hornet I quite like them and it's not like they're short of power at what they are. I just had my hopes set on a super sport but it's not a big deal to get a normal 600 until the day I get the full licence. 400e quote from liberty tpf on a bandit 600 not exactly going to break the bank

How much experience do you have on bikes?
    Have you ridden a sports bike?

The newer 2010+ hornets are very nice, that's what I was looking at on provisional, hard to get though

How much experience do you have on bikes?
    Have you ridden a sports bike?

The newer 2010+ hornets are very nice, that's what I was looking at on provisional, hard to get though

I have a bit of experience on bikes but not much on road bikes worth talking about. Ya just had a quick search through donedeal and the hornets seem to be pretty rare. I think for now I'll make my peace with either the bandit or hornet until I'm experienced enough and have a full licence.

• Advertisement

I have a bit of experience on bikes but not much on road bikes worth talking about. Ya just had a quick search through donedeal and the hornets seem to be pretty rare. I think for now I'll make my peace with either the bandit or hornet until I'm experienced enough and have a full licence.

What's your budget man?

What's your budget man?

Probably in and around 4 to 4.5k. I'd like something relatively new, not a fan of the older models

Probably in and around 4 to 4.5k. I'd like something relatively new, not a fan of the older models

what about this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2007-honda-hornet-600/11721299

Once you take off the luggage holders you can get solo seats and tail tidies to make it look sportier.

Also have a look for fully fared suzuki sv650 although wont have as much power as the hornet I dont think.

what about this

Once you take off the luggage holders you can get solo seats and tail tidies to make it look sportier.

Also have a look for fully fared suzuki sv650 although wont have as much power as the hornet I dont think.

Ya something like that would be ideal, front end of the hornet is a lot tidier and more modern looking than the bandits. At least there's some bit of choice as a rookie

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Get a bandit or fazer for the 1st year and have your 1 year no claims bonus before jumping up to a zx6 etc
    Plenty of power in either of them 2 bikes for anyone with little riding experience, buy a cheap one you can move on easily in a year, they are cheap to insure, run and fix ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

I would also recommend a bandit if you cant get the insurance on the sports bikes

got a 00 bandit 600

im 26 got it when i was 25, insurance was 500ish with liberty on a provisional

Some speed off it too, does me very nicely for around dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Get a full license and you will insure a sport bike then even with no ncb. That's what I did. Was used to a 400cc MX bike. Done my theory forgot about it for a year then done my IBT and then straight away applied for test. That way the 6 month wait was already done. And got a good insurance discount from my instructor.
    Test the liberty site with a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

IMO jumping onto a sportsbike as a 1st time bike is stupid,for both safety/health and financial reasons.

Start off small-ish and something easy to ride and insure.
    Get a years NCB under your belt and then work your way up.
    A year will go by pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^ +1 what Stewy said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Deanaudia4

New A prov licence holder myself..had off road bikes for a while got A licence in jan done Ibt + grade 2 bought gsxr 600 k1 unrestricted insured with aon Axa for 710e for year have full b licence 6years and 5 no claims on car think it helped a little to show bike not main mode of transport....😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Possibly not what you're looking for but something like a Ninja 300 has plenty of power starting out, is sporty, looks the part and most importantly is loads of fun. Has that bit of extra power over a 250 which means motorway speeds arent taxing the engine either (got up to 170+ indicated on mine and 150 doesn't take years). Not to mention it easily does 4.5l per 100km (less if you go easy). Im guessing insurance wouldn't break the bank either though I've never had to insure anything in Ireland.

I absolutely loved learning on that bike. Think Honda even has a 350 now which I guess might be similar?

Maybe not for you but don't dismiss it out of hand.

Advertisement