Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned over 2 year gap in CV

Options
  • 05-04-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody provide me with advice to handle a long gap in my CV that I feel is still holding me back securing a new job?

I was unemployed for 2 years during the worst of the recession between 2009-11, I graduated in 2008 and my contract was not extended by my employer in 2009. I returned to work in a contract position for 10 months, then again unemployed for a few months before I started with my current employer in 2012.

I currently work in financial services, I started out in an entry level position and I have progressed up into my current position that entails significant financial risk but I have not received any salary increase in these 4 years thus I have been job hunting since January. I've been unsuccessful so far, I have interviewed for two related positions, strong interviews but with no success however in particular I felt interrogated in both over why I was unemployed for that long. I've had a lot of PFOs, I've tried recruiters and I am finding them unresponsive. Friends say my CV apart from the gap is very strong. A large amount of my colleagues in more junior roles with less experience departed my company last year due to the pay issue and all found related roles very easily.

I'm concerned because of the nature of the roles I'm applying for related to my current job have a high level of risk that employers deem my 2 year gap as a red flag. It is well known most companies in my sector conduct extensive background checks on prospective hires in my area so I'm not in any position to make a up a fake job or say I was travelling in Oz or wherever. I managed to successfully complete a couple of short courses during my spell of unemployment but I was also dealing with alot of personal/family issues at that time distracted me from doing other things like travelling or volunteering.

Am I being overly sensitive over my gap or is there any better way for me to navigate this issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you thought about going to a careers coach to check your interview skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Wagga23 wrote: »
    I have interviewed for two related positions, strong interviews but with no success however in particular I felt interrogated in both over why I was unemployed for that long.
    Firstly, that's most likely their problem. Not yours.

You've been in a job for four years ffs. There are scholars and professors who take sabbaticals without an eyelid being raised.

Get yourself a story together for the two years, whether it be the absolute truth about the family issues, or perhaps embellish it slightly with tales of travel. Just be well rehearsed and completely prepared for any future interviews. Gaps on the cv aren't a major issue for any interviewer worth their salt if you can show clearly that there were genuine reasons for it, and that you've been productive since, which it's clear you have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

in general any good recruiter will see you were unemployed at the height of the recession and not be bothered

the way i see it could be that:
    1 you are questioned about the gap and you explain- you may be nervous or not be able to make it clear that these were contract positions therefore making the interviewer suspicious regarding the reason for being let go

2: they are simply finding someone more qualified and you are reading to much into it, this happens particularly to someone in your position you over think it and it becomes something you are over aware of in an interview.

a good interviewer can read these signs and it can be taken as:

your nervous
    you left on bad terms
    you had poor performance and other people were kept on but not you
    there just wasn't enough money to keep you on

it all depends on how you spin it in the interview.

practice practice the answer. and then practice again

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Wagga23 wrote: »
    I managed to successfully complete a couple of short courses during my spell of unemployment but I was also dealing with alot of personal/family issues at that time distracted me from doing other things like travelling or volunteering.

This thread caught my attention because I have a worrying four - year gap in my CV, from when I was stuck with no employment opportunities. I had serious family problems before I went back to education, and they were the main obstacle to getting anywhere in my life.

Just be prepared to describe what happened, and you can frame it positively. - There should not be any judgement surrounding not being able to get a job for a while, especially with the economy...

The fact that you managed to complete extra courses during that time is a bonus!

Advertisement