Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best solution

Options
  • 06-04-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am planning to install a single socket into separate units used for charging electric bikes. Bacically my questions are,
    1. What size 3core (flex?) do i need to use. (Max distance 8mtrs from distribution board).
    2. What size mcb is safe?
    3. Do i have to use rcd? (I am hoping if one socket was to trip it wouldn't stop other units with bikes charging).
    The bike charging details are; (from label).
    Nominal voltage 230 v ac.
    Battery charging voltage 36 v dc
    Output power max 180watts.
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Hi, I am planning to install a single socket into separate units used for charging electric bikes. Bacically my questions are,
    1. What size 3core (flex?) do i need to use. (Max distance 8mtrs from distribution board).
    3. Do i have to use rcd? (I am hoping if one socket was to trip it wouldn't stop other units with bikes charging).
    Thanks in advance...

how many points are required? theres also a few variables to do with what environment these points will be located, internal/external etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks in advance...

The electrician you hire to do the job will know all of this as legally you are not allowed to do it yourself.
    But to answer your questions you should use 2.5mm cable connected to a 10amp mcb(but a higher rated mcb may be required depending on how many outlets you need) which has an rcd associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

aido79 wrote: »
    ....as legally you are not allowed to do it yourself.

You can provide an additional socket to an existing radial circuit as a minor electrical work as far as I know. But you cannot go near the consumer unit (except to reset or test or turn off MCB/RCB), or provide or alter the protection devices there. The output power per bike 180w is very low in this case, so I would have no problem with an extension lead either if only a few bikes involved.
    4. (3) For the purposes of section 9E(1) of the Act, ‘Designated Electrical Works’ does not include:...............
    (g) Minor electrical works including the replacement of an electrical accessory such as a light switch, the replacement or relocation of a light fitting where the existing circuit is retained, the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit, or electrical works which do not require the issuance of a completion certificate under section 9D of the Act

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Joe1919 wrote: »
    You can provide an additional socket to an existing radial circuit as a minor electrical work as far as I know. But you cannot go near the consumer unit (except to reset or test or turn off MCB/RCB), or provide or alter the protection devices there. The output power per bike 180w is very low in this case, so I would have no problem with an extension lead either if only a few bikes involved.

That's true and is the way I would do it too but the OP was suggesting to install a new circuit with separate mcb so that if it trips it doesn't take out other sockets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement