Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat dander

• 06-04-2016 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

We've two cats, one of them spends her days eating/sleeping/grooming and has the most luxurious well conditioned coat imaginable. She doesnt shed that much and I never see any dander on her coat.

The other just isnt as much as a groomer. She does groom, but not as fastidiously. She sheds like a mad thing and leaves enough hair to make a new cat with everywhere she goes. So we brush her coat out daily, we have tried lots of different brushes. As well as not grooming much and shedding a lot, she seems to have a lot of dander on her coat. It settles down if we brush her less but we dont want to do that because of the shedding!!

They both have the same diet so I dont think its a dietary issue, more a "one cat is a bit scruffy and the other is spotless" ;)

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They both have the same diet so I dont think its a dietary issue, more a "one cat is a bit scruffy and the other is spotless" ;)

Any advice?

It could be dietary - Bailey and Lucy get the same food but she can be a farty bum at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

tk123 wrote: »
    It could be dietary - Bailey and Lucy get the same food but she can be a farty bum at times!

Yeah possibly alright.

Is there anything I can add to her food to help with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can't help with the dander but we found the furminator great to reduce shedding.

Can't help with the dander but we found the furminator great to reduce shedding.

Yes, we use the furminator, and a whole array of other brushes and combs (she actually started getting a baldy area from over enthusiastic brushing from himself!) - but she still sheds a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

some animals shed a LOT, some not so much... some breeds shed more than others.... what suits one animal feed-wise will not suit another, why would it? Might be worth considering trying her on a sensitive/skin type food?

Can you add salmon oil to a cats diet for its skin - a cat expert on here might tell you that - its very good for dogs skin/coats, not sure about cats...

Could it be that the more you groom an animal, the more it will shed - you are loosening hair afterall? But then again, I dont know with cats (having a cat now for the first time in my life!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

My brother is allergic to cats (recently developed allergy) and our puss isn't much of a groomer so we wipe her down with a damp facecloth. Gets the dander and dust off her coat and takes any loose hair off.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    My brother is allergic to cats (recently developed allergy) and our puss isn't much of a groomer so we wipe her down with a damp facecloth. Gets the dander and dust off her coat and takes any loose hair off.

Yeah Im gonna try this.

She absolutely loves being groomed so Id say she will be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

One of my cats as a lot of dander too, but the other two really don't have much. I definitely find hers worse after brushing her, or at least more visible. I add salmon oil into their food about 3 times a week and it really helps with the quality of their coats and lessens her dander a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offthecouch.ie

I would put a little coconut oil through my cats coat, she was very dandruff-y! She would lick the coconut oil off her coat after a while, but it did the job. And made her smell of coconuts :)

Advertisement