Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed Maintenance

Options
  • 06-04-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice re the maintenance of my garden shed.

Shed was purchased last summer from KellyBarna with an economy T&G finish.
    Kiln Dried Timber, sheeting all around is planed finish shiplap jointed.
    Exterior treated with wood preservative.

The shed is sitting on about 9 concrete blocks over bare clay.

When looking for a treatment for the shed I was advised in Woodies to get Ronseal garden paint
    and that it didn't need any other treatment. I put 2 coats of the paint on last summer.

Paint lasted through all the rain last winter but I noticed there was some expansion of the timber - couldn't open the door !

This year I want to do whatever I can to make sure the shed is going to last, avoid rot etc.

Should I treat the inside of the shed and the flooring ?
    I'm considering a waterproof paint for the roof ?
    Should I put another coat of the Ronseal pain on this year, or does it need to be stripped back and then treated with an oil before painting ?
    I would like to put down some sort of covering inside the shed to help keep it clean, can I just lay matting down on the timbers or do I run the risk of damp under it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Having painted the shed, all you can really do is put on more paint. Its not the option I would have taken for long life and visual impression

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Fence paint is the usual thing to use for a garden shed. The timber is vacuum treated with preservatives, so it does not need the protection of normal paints or varnishes. If the roof is mineral felt it will not remain waterproof for very long. After about three years I found mine leaking and painted it with a rubberised waterproofing compound sold for this purpose, but it wasn't very successful. I recently covered it with corrugated iron and this seems to have solved the problem. If you go down this route you will need either an angle grinder or a sheet-metal shears. I had great difficulty sourcing a section to cover the ridge, but was eventually able to get Murtagh's of Ashbourne to order one in for me. (The ridge will sustain less damage if you have it delivered rather than collecting it yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭shortlegs

I intend to refurbish my garden shed, replacing pallet type timber with treated ship-lap. I have roofing felt left over from another job, and wondering if it would improve the job if I lined the internal walls with it first, or, is it needed?

Advertisement