Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Scene is dead 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Most of those bands, if not all of them, are old. I think the point of this thread is that there is nothing new coming through. They have been around the block for 10 years nearly

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

ok you missed my point. My point is that Indie bands rarely come into the Mainstream but over ten years all these bands have filtered through so at the moment lets say the 1975 are coming through into the mainstream that doesnt mean there will be a flood of Indie throughout the mainstream but their are always bands from indie scene coming through.

just had a look at the uk album charts (for the first time in about 15 years) out of curiousity and the following bands are all in it
    Last shadow Puppets
    1975*
    Mogwai
    Weezer
    Walking on Cars*
    Catfish and the bottlemen*
    Hozier
    Royal Blood*
    George Ezra*
    * would be considered new enough bands/ artists
    it could be argued George Ezra and Hozier arent Indie but feck it they are on loads of spotify indie play lists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Some From the last while..
    Arctic Monkeys 2003
    Coldplay1999
    Arcade fire2003
    The Black keysgoing for YEARS
    The Killers2004
    Kings of Leon2003
    The White Stripes2000
    Elbow1999
    Are all good examples of Indie bands that filtered into Mainstream, And before anyone starts jumping up and down about coldplay I know they dont fit everyones idea of Indie but they did start out that way. My point is you dont get a new indie band every week but over time bands do filter through it usually takes a song Like " Lonely Boy" or " seven nation army" to bring them to peoples attention but there are always new bands filtering through.

See above years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Some From the last while..
    Arctic Monkeys
    Coldplay
    Arcade fire
    The Black keys
    The Killers
    Kings of Leon
    The White Stripes
    Elbow
    Coldplay and The Killers have always been major label bands as far as I can recall. They've never been indie.

• Advertisement

Coldplay and The Killers have always been major label bands as far as I can recall. They've never been indie.

Both are played on indie radio stations. And are on indie playlists reviewed and interviewed in indie magazines and played at Indie festivals. Just because you sell a lot of albums doesn't mean you're not indie. Yeah they have a more commercial polished sound. But that's getting away from the point I was trying ( unsuccessfully) to make. Bands from the indie scene do filter through but by the time you take notice most people don't consider them indie anymore e.g the killers. In my opinion bands come out we all love them, they float around for a few years then release a megahit we get a pain in our arse listening too and then they become mainstream. Indie fans then look down their nose at them, and the debate starts whether they were ever really Indie in the first place.

Both are played on indie radio stations. And are on indie playlists reviewed and interviewed in indie magazines and played at Indie festivals. Just because you sell a lot of albums doesn't mean you're not indie. Yeah they have a more commercial polished sound. But that's getting away from the point I was trying ( unsuccessfully) to make. Bands from the indie scene do filter through but by the time you take notice most people don't consider them indie anymore e.g the killers. In my opinion bands come out we all love them, they float around for a few years then release a megahit we get a pain in our arse listening too and then they become mainstream. Indie fans then look down their nose at them, and the debate starts whether they were ever really Indie in the first place.
    What I meant was that they've never been on an independent record label, hence never been an indie band. If Coldplay and The Killers are indie bands then U2 are as well. It's nothing about being mainstream or not.

What I meant was that they've never been on an independent record label, hence never been an indie band. If Coldplay and The Killers are indie bands then U2 are as well. It's nothing about being mainstream or not.

Fair enough. I'm more talking about being the alternative meaning of Indie. My mistake. And your right neither were on a Independent record label as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

So is Adele indie or are Coldplay indie?

It's so needlessly confusingl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Finally I found a decent album from a guitar band that has been released in the last couple of months that is neither too poppy/sugary/insubstantial nor the other extreme of being weird/trippy and overly experimental

the coral - distance inbetween

I like it, I like it a lot - if any these kind of gems would appear more frequently

• Advertisement

hate to piss on your chips but the Coral have been out since the early 2000s.
    good album though.

hate to piss on your chips but the Coral have been out since the early 2000s.
    good album though.

My chips remain urine-free. I was looking for good newish albums not necessarily from new bands and of course I have known about the coral for a long time. Unlike a lot of bands their albums their albums are consistently good, almost worth the 6 year wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You just have to look. So much good stuff out there.

allmusic.com

is a great site IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

donfers wrote: »
    almost worth the 6 year wait :D

they had an album out in 2014 "Curse of Love" (though it was recorded some years earlier) - it's very good too.

If you like your indie with a retro angle, you might like the new Last Shadow Puppets album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Try the debut album by the DMA's or The Vryll Society. Both well worth a listen and seems to fit with what you're looking for.

Blossoms also a new band out there with a slightly similar sound you might enjoy

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Try the debut album by the DMA's or The Vryll Society. Both well worth a listen and seems to fit with what you're looking for.

Blossoms also a new band out there with a slightly similar sound you might enjoy

The DMA's have some cracking songs on that debut album - thanks for that comrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Whitey is great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭A Happy Death

R.I.P

It is now RIP txfm

RIP fight like apes - too many music 'fans' think they are support music by paying spotify - meanwhile the actual people who make music can no longer afford to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

maccored wrote: »
    RIP fight like apes - too many music 'fans' think they are support music by paying spotify - meanwhile the actual people who make music can no longer afford to do so.

In general i agree with you regarding spotify and buying music but i think in Flight like Ape's case it's more to do with the fact they never lived up to their promise after their first album, the second two albums are pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

In general i agree with you regarding spotify and buying music but i think in Flight like Ape's case it's more to do with the fact they never lived up to their promise after their first album, the second two albums are pretty poor.

Sorry to see the likes of them and Fred (who bowed out a couple of years ago) disappear. Far more interesting than what Irish 'talent' Hot Press are adorning on their covers currently.

i agree on that - first album was mainly their original live set which had been well polished by the time it was recorded. Stil though - they arent the only band finding it hard to make money whilst music fans try to get music for as little as possible. Fred were a brilliant band

Rubbish. Thousands of artists who work regular jobs and use the Bandcamp model have no issues being able to afford to make music. The cost of creating and distributing music is also far lower these days.

Rubbish. Thousands of artists who work regular jobs and use the Bandcamp model have no issues being able to afford to make music. The cost of creating and distributing music is also far lower these days.

Rubbish my arse. Im putting money down you arent a musician who has to work a day job and then try and run a business called a band. Many musicians ARE working 9-5 and then gigging. they cant fund the band business because they cant work at it full time. then they end up having to choose which job to quit, and its usually the music.

I also bet you have a spotify account

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone who is paying for Spotify (or Apple Music, Deezer etc) is spending €120 per year on recorded music. This is far more than the average spend on CDs even at the peak of the CD boom in the 90s. Arguably they should reduce the cost of premium streaming to get more people to pay for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Rubbish my arse. Im putting money down you arent a musician who has to work a day job and then try and run a business called a band. Many musicians ARE working 9-5 and then gigging. they cant fund the band business because they cant work at it full time. then they end up having to choose which job to quit, and its usually the music.

loyatemu wrote: »
    anyone who is paying for Spotify (or Apple Music, Deezer etc) is spending €120 per year on recorded music. This is far more than the average spend on CDs even at the peak of the CD boom in the 90s. Arguably they should reduce the cost of premium streaming to get more people to pay for it.

I've had a spotify account since it started and it has zero relevance to anything. Plus it saves me wasting money on ****e over priced albums. And I agree 120e a year (there are cheaper ways) is alot more than the average from back in the day.

The issue (for me) is the cut the label takes and it's a much more packed market. Sure it's cheaper and easier to get out there. But the competition also has the advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wouldn't be a Fight Like Apes fan, but remember them being popular enough at one point. Around 2007 or so. Shame to see them more or less sink without trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Anyone looking for something new check out the new album by The Urges. I was at their album launch in grand social last week and finally got a chance to listen to their new album in full this morning.

Cracking album. Highly recommend it. Especially if you liked the latest album by The Coral.

• Advertisement

Artists were getting feck all from record sales anyways because the earnings were being pumped back into distribution costs, promotion costs, and record label execs pockets. Spotify makes little or no difference since the distribution overhead is significantly less.

Also in 2016 anyone with a Mac, a Bandcamp page and some musical instruments at their disposal can put out music. It's not like you have to be a billionaire.

Finally, Fight Like Apes just became average after their first album and failed to keep the momentum going. It's their own fault really.

Advertisement