Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Scene is dead 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Artists were getting feck all from record sales anyways because the earnings were being pumped back into distribution costs, promotion costs, and record label execs pockets. Spotify makes little or no difference since the distribution overhead is significantly less.

Also in 2016 anyone with a Mac, a Bandcamp page and some musical instruments at their disposal can put out music. It's not like you have to be a billionaire.

Finally, Fight Like Apes just became average after their first album and failed to keep the momentum going. It's their own fault really.

What a ****ty attitude. Sure why would anyone form a band?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

lordgoat wrote: »
    What a ****ty attitude. Sure why would anyone form a band?
    To make music I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Artists were getting feck all from record sales anyways because the earnings were being pumped back into distribution costs, promotion costs, and record label execs pockets. Spotify makes little or no difference since the distribution overhead is significantly less.

Also in 2016 anyone with a Mac, a Bandcamp page and some musical instruments at their disposal can put out music. It's not like you have to be a billionaire.

Finally, Fight Like Apes just became average after their first album and failed to keep the momentum going. It's their own fault really.

hmmm ..... its obviously just really gone way over your head. yes you can put out music. no you cant earn a living from it anymore. spotify is enabling that.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Dave Grohl had interesting take on spotify :
    In Grohl's expletive-adorned opinion, the biggest hurdle for musicians is getting their work heard. "You want people to ****ing listen to your music? Give them your music," he said. "And then go play a show. They like hearing your music? They'll go see a show. To me it's that simple, and I think it used to work that way." After reminiscing about his and his band mates' pasts playing in "crappy punk rock bands" and how they got their music heard by playing concerts, he said, "Nowadays there's so much focus on technology that it doesn't really matter."

I know it is easy for a multi millionaire rock star to say, but in the interest of balance another take on Spotify killing the Music industry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd love to see a comprehensive breakdown of the finances of a beloved Irish indie band in the 90s compared to one operating right now.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Spotifys impact on the music industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

well you know the way things work in cycles? maybe we are in the ****ty bland stage, and just around the corner is an extinction event. it happened before when nevermind came out, all of a sudden those LA hair bands and europop looked and sounded ridiculous. i can only hope, i wonder will we see the likes of it again, an album so great that it changes everything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nothing is dead. People are just lazy and whinge more.

https://thisaintnodisco.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Will there ever be a decent guitar band to actually break into the mainstream again?

And not, not Vaccines, who I quite enjoy but are land fill indie personified

Check out Wolf Alice, very raw at the min but I reckon they could be a great band over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Liberty Valance

Someone recommend me a great new band?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hardly great. derivative early 2000's rehash rock with zero irony

Being to any of their shows? Probably not, and I think they are great and that whats matters.Its all about the attitude and god show me any band in 2016 who is not derivative in some way..
    Any suggestions from urself for the OP?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Check out Wolf Alice, very raw at the min but I reckon they could be a great band over time.

Good track on the trainspotting 2 soundtrack..

feel it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Love these guys, a bunch of Aussie kids.

No need to go all the way to Oz for the fuzzy lo fi garage sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Above was their debut single (2 years ago), this is from debut album, out earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would wonder a bit for the future zeitgeist bothering health of the Alternative/Indie "genre" if even those guys over at Pitchfork release their top fifty albums of the year - in which Hip-Hop/R&B dominates...

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9980-the-50-best-albums-of-2016/?page=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Arghus wrote: »
    I would wonder a bit for the future zeitgeist bothering health of the Alternative/Indie "genre" if even those guys over at Pitchfork release their top fifty albums of the year - in which Hip-Hop/R&B dominates...

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9980-the-50-best-albums-of-2016/?page=5
    I wouldn't worry about it. They'll probably edit that list in a few years time to make it look like they were ahead of the pack, just like they do with their album reviews.

While pitchfork (and a lot of other publications) are guilty of repositioning their stance on some albums and genres/scenes I do think it's an interesting observation.

If there's one thing they aim to do its mirror the hipster Zeitgeist which clearly doesn't revole around the traditional indie /alt scene at the moment.

They are also not alone because if you look at the metacritic list that aggregates end of year lists its a very similar picture.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-top-10-best-albums-of-2016

The fact is that there's less buzz around the scene than there has been in previous years but as always it's all cyclical and will come full circle at some stage. Also doesn't mean there's no decent albums in the genre being released at the moment. There might just be less of them and they are certainly getting a lot less exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭T.V Eye

Car Seat Headrest, Future of the Left, Preoccupations, Ty Segall.. some pretty good indie/guitar stuff this year.

The Guardian top 5 has the same 5 albums as Pitchfork just in a different order. Not sure what that says about Pitchforks current status but really does push home the fact that it's been RnBs year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Andy.Kupp87

I really don't agree man.

I think music is in a great place at the moment there is loads of exciting new bands out there that have gem after gem The Growlers, Mac Demarco, Ariel Pinks etc. I don't think there has been any regression in the quality of music.

You might be right that stuff is more experimental. what kind of bands were you into before. Have you tried related artists on spotify. I have found tons of great music through this.

Advertisement