Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Cuisine of Italy

Options
  • 06-04-2016 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Looking around at all the different cuisine of the world and got me thinking about the national dishes of different countries, mainly Italy this week

Risotto
    Lasagna
    Pasta Carbonara
    Pizza

Is there any particular type of the above dishes that are considered more authentic?

I have heard that cream isn't actually supposed to be used in Italian cuisine but in french cuisine...

Does anyone have any good recipes from Italy to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I suppose authentic bolognese would be up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

armaghlad wrote: »
    I suppose authentic bolognese would be up there?

GAHHHHHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Different parts of Italy have different cuisines.

Bur really, pasta (noodles) were invented in Asia and Tomatoes are South American - so how Authentic do you want it to be?

There isn't cream in real, authentic, Carbonara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Different parts of Italy have different cuisines.

Bur really, pasta (noodles) were invented in Asia and Tomatoes are South American - so how Authentic do you want it to be?

There isn't cream in real, authentic, Carbonara.

Just a beaten egg and cheese, no cream...

Yeah's pasta's where imported through Venice by Macro Polo if memory serves me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Just a beaten egg and cheese, no cream...

Yeah's pasta's where imported through Venice by Macro Polo if memory serves me

I think we all learned that as kids, but it may be nonsense. I read something recently about Marco Polo, there's a very good chance he never got to China.

Italian food is so diverse I don't think there is a national dish or dishes. Pasta in various forms is definitely popular. But then so is roast pork and seafood. I work with an Italian guy who tells me the most popular food in his region is raw shell fish.

You could probably come up with a dish per province with no 2 provinces sharing a common dish.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Parmigiana, arancini, saltimbocca, ossobucco, caponata... I think one week won't be enough if you wanted to make a dish a day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Pasta dishes and risotto are considered to be starters in Italy.
    Pizza is snack/street food.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What about antipasti?
    Also classics such as Vitello Tonnato, or Cacciatore- or Pizzaiola-style dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I once saw a BBC programme that said tradtional lasagne doesn't have tomatoes

Also traditional minestrone soup is more of a vegetable and noodle broth with no tomatoes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I once saw a BBC programme that said tradtional lasagne doesn't have tomatoes

Also traditional minestrone soup is more of a vegetable and noodle broth with no tomatoes

Indeed, lasagne is traditionally made with Ragu Bolognese which has a very limited amount of tomato paste, if any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Ragu is italian. More sauces but Pesto is authentic Italian as is Zabaglione

Tiramisu also

As said pasta, soup and sometimes risotto are actually first courses or 'Primi'

Secondi is then your meat/ fish

Dolci Dessert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Food changes from region to region. Even Barilla produces 'regional pasta', as different parts of Italy make different shapes on their pasta. A pizza from Rome is different to one from Naples. Each Italian will you there region has the best food. As an Italian to make a dish and each one will come up their regional favourite. I have a few Italian friends. Some of their regional food is better than others. I had a Sicilian friend and her food was incredible. Another one of my friends is from close to the Austria border and her style of cooking is pretty horrible. The further south you go, the more serious they tend to take their food.

Italians do use cream. They like Panna sauces which are usually flavoured like mushroom, salmon, etc.

Advertisement