Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

I'm obviously a bit stupid.......
    i thought on entering GLAS 2 at the start there was a once off payment to the planner i.e. Teagasc of €450ish once accepted into the scheme.
    :(

I think that Teagasc had to be paid the €450 even if you didn't get into the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

For the WBC on the BPS application, does it have to be entered differently on this years form compared to last years, when in pasture

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Farrell wrote: »
    For the WBC on the BPS application, does it have to be entered differently on this years form compared to last years, when in pasture

I'm not certain but i think it has to be entered as a separate plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Have had 10 yearlings in on 2.5 acres of WBC oats for the past 15 days or so. "Grass" now eaten down and straw well trampled in. Moved them on this eve. A few runs of the disk harrow sometime over the next few weeks should see it right to sow again. Ill throw up a before and after picture at the weekend hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I can't get white thorn hedging anywhere does anyone know where to get some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not being smart, but it might have been easier if you were looking for them a month to 6 weeks ago! The window for sowing bareroot whips is near gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Have had 10 yearlings in on 2.5 acres of WBC oats for the past 15 days or so. "Grass" now eaten down and straw well trampled in. Moved them on this eve. A few runs of the disk harrow sometime over the next few weeks should see it right to sow again. Ill throw up a before and after picture at the weekend hopefully.

I have cattle in my WBC oats now too, probably will be fine to just disc it but there is a fair growth of weeds through it, mostly rushes. Are you spraying off yours, I'm not sure what the procedure is, do you spray then disc or disc then spray any emergence. Realistically the discing and sowing will be in close conjunction to each other so the latter option wont be possible anyway. Is spraying with roundup necessary if discing anyway? Novice cultivator here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Muckit wrote: »
    Not being smart, but it might have been easier if you were looking for them a month to 6 weeks ago! The window for sowing bareroot whips is near gone.

Do any companies keep them in cold storage?

Only asking because a local lad with a digger is busy mounding forestry ground. When i asked him why he was still at it this time of year, it appears that they plant up until July, using cold stored plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Do any companies keep them in cold storage?

Only asking because a local lad with a digger is busy mounding forestry ground. When i asked him why he was still at it this time of year, it appears that they plant up until July, using cold stored plants.

I think I saw cold stores in None so Hardy, big ould sheds anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

20silkcut wrote:
    I can't get white thorn hedging anywhere does anyone know where to get some.

Fella in six mile bridge in clare does them if I can get his number on the clare Champion I'll pm you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Has everyone who applied been accepted into GLAS 3 at this stage ?
    I've hard nothing back yet about my application  :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Am I missing something?

I have 12 acres in the mountains. Thinking of applying for next Glas scheme. However I will be taxed on the income at 40% so is it even worth the hassle? Will still do native planting etc but without the hassle and the minimum reward.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

I have 12 acres in the mountains. Thinking of applying for next Glas scheme. However I will be taxed on the income at 40% so is it even worth the hassle? Will still do native planting etc but without the hassle and the minimum reward.

GLAS3,is closed now for applications and I think thats the final tranche in this environmental scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

Sami23 wrote: »

My brother is in the same boat, sent them an email, but reply didn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Sami23 wrote: »
    Think lots got word in December/ January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Had a 'oops' moment during the week. Convinced myself the cut off for topping LIPP was mid April. Did one part of a field about 3 acres. Just looked up dates and discovered the cut off is 15th March. Ah well, not much I can do now. The ground was impossible to travel on until this past week - hate 'farming by numbers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

I done something similar only spraying not topping
    Like u say not much I can do now only hope I don't get an inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Dunedin

jimmy G M wrote: »

What's the deadline date to sow the wbc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Finally received the 'Advanced' payment for 2016....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

ganmo wrote: »
    Finally received the 'Advanced' payment for 2016....
    Great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Anyone sowing WBC this weather? If the dry conditions hold out for the next week the crows would have half the seed ate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

larthehar wrote: »
    Anyone sowing WBC this weather? If the dry conditions hold out for the next week the crows would have half the seed ate..

Sure it's only themselves they're fooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Dept can hardly argue with you. You did feed the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Would ya get away without rolling after spreading the oats and linseed.

Hoping to rotavate tomorrow and sow Saturday but might be tight for tight to get it rolled too so wondering if it's essential ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dunedin wrote: »
    Would ya get away without rolling after spreading the oats and linseed.

Hoping to rotavate tomorrow and sow Saturday but might be tight for tight to get it rolled too so wondering if it's essential ???
    I would roll if at all possible. Seeds need to make good contact with the soil in order to germinate and grow properly. If we were going to have heavy rain then I would reckon you could get away as the rain helps to compact the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Water John wrote: »
    The Dept can hardly argue with you. You did feed the birds.

I wish! I see some clause in the T&Cs that it has to take.. some rain forecast for Saturday all of a sudden! Will chance putting it in..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

Any comments on the following would be appreciated with regard GLAS 3
    I have to put in 3 ha of wbc. I sprayed the area last week and was planning on stitching it in at end of this month and was wondering if anyone else has tried this method?
    Was also considering going with a 2 years of Kale in half the area but am concerned that there might be a risk of poisoning cattle when it has gone to seed and it is been grazed in the spring time.
    Also, the planner put 2 sets of bat boxes in chestnut trees that have closed in branches that are not suitable. There are telephone poles near these trees and I was wondering if I could use these instead. I know eircom might not be impressed but would it bother the glas inspector?
    The planner also has a bat box site beside a public road which is not allow in the specification, how can I solve this problem?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I think you'd need to run a disc harrow once or twice over it to bring up a bit of soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

Water John wrote: »
    I think you'd need to run a disc harrow once or twice over it to bring up a bit of soil.

Yes that might be a good idea, will have to do a bit more research.

I was just thinking about where farming has gone when sowing WBC is a better option than sowing spring barley in ground that is well capable of doing 3 tonne to the acre.

• Advertisement

Well the return is €900/Ha. Costs are seed €150, Soil cultivation €100. Close the gate.

Advertisement