Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Base price wrote: »
    Tranche 1 and 2 were from 15 Mar to 15th July but it changed in Tranche 3 to the 1st of July.
    All traditional hay meadows can be cut after the 1st of July doesn't matter if in GLAS 1, 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Of course it's for privacy.
    It's bad enough atm with Google and Bing maps.
    Imagine if you're friendly robber or terrorist or foreign army looks up the images and sees everything going on in just a glance.

On the satellites there is no pointing and aiming to take a picture. All satellites have to keep moving and orbiting the earth. Otherwise they would fly off into space.
    They all take pictures in a pass.
    It's a bit more advanced than the spy planes in WW2 and the cold war but it's the same principle but with stronger lenses and higher resolution.

I'm not sure if I can explain it any better than that.

Actually go outside any clear night and you should spot a few satellites going across the sky as they orbit the earth.
    You might even spot the international space station which is super bright.

Anyway way off topic.

Edit: There are such things as geostationary satellites which orbit in unison with the earth turning and thus would be in the same patch of sky everyday but they're used for communication purposes not imagery.
    if a satellite moves too slow for its orbit it falls, too fast and it flys out

part time theres satalites taking detailed aerial photos every week in ireland, what you're talking about with the lenses is true but theres something called infinity focus where the distance to the target doesnt matter just the resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    All traditional hay meadows can be cut after the 1st of July doesn't matter if in GLAS 1, 2 or 3.
    I know but we were not discussing THM. If you read back a few posts you will see that we were talking about LIPP which cannot be mowed at anytime but can be topped after 1st of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Ours arrived too.

Mine arrived too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

My maps etc came during the week, no book.

The date on the letter was March 15th.

Long time in the post.

In fairness to them it seems to be run as a fu89 up from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Danzy wrote: »

Long time in the post.

Mine were dated 13th march

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Folks

I am just after reading the Teagasc Advisory Newsletter - June 2017.

Under the topic Rush control and water quality, one of the key messages this newsletter advises is 'MCPA products cannot be used in weed lickers'

This is the first time I've heard of this, can one clarify is this true, if one can't use MCPA in a weed licker, what other chemicals can be used to control rushes?

Roundup, Gallup etc

A total kill solution.

I think that it is not only more environmentally safe, it is also much more effective and a fraction of the cost cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Roundup, Gallup etc

A total kill solution.

I think that it is not only more environmentally safe, it is also much more effective and a fraction of the cost cheaper.

Thanks Danzy- you really do learn something new every day - I'll probably be going out with the round up next time.

I'm not that familiar with Gallop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Long time in the post.

That's been happening a bit too much in the dept, pre-dating letters that is. The acceptance letters to glas 1 and the sheep welfare scheme if I remember right

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »
    Folks

I am just after reading the Teagasc Advisory Newsletter - June 2017.

Under the topic Rush control and water quality, one of the key messages this newsletter advises is 'MCPA products cannot be used in weed lickers'

This is the first time I've heard of this, can one clarify is this true, if one can't use MCPA in a weed licker, what other chemicals can be used to control rushes?
    We are in Tranche 1 and to date we haven't been advised or received any communication from DAFM that MCPA cannot be used for weed licking. We use Roundup or generics for rush control.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Totally off topic, but views here on sattelites are incorrect. Geo stationery communication sats don't orbit but are in the sweet spot and stable over a specific point. This does not mean they lose orbit.
    Thus 22 geo sats give us GPS.
    The photo sats do orbit.

BTW I'd be more worried about the spy on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Got me 2017 record book this week, though it might be news of a payment for last year or even an explanation for the delay. Silly me sure it's only 6 months late

josephsoap wrote: »
    Thanks Danzy- you really do learn something new every day - I'll probably be going out with the round up next time.

I'm not that familiar with Gallop

http://www.topline.ie/garden-outdoors/lawn-garden/plant-lawn-care/lawn-feed-weed-killer/gallup/360-weed-killer-5-litre

Gallup is the generic version of Round Up.

It is about 26 Euro, so a very big difference in price.

Sprayed here for years and when the instructions are followed the places is as Orange as the Shankill in July.

Recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Water John wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but views here on sattelites are incorrect. Geo stationery communication sats don't orbit but are in the sweet spot and stable over a specific point. This does not mean they lose orbit.
    Thus 22 geo sats give us GPS.
    The photo sats do orbit.

BTW I'd be more worried about the spy on the ground.

Ah I expected more from you WJ.

Especially now with Wikipedia.
    Of course geo stationary satellites orbit. They just do a circular orbit at a speed that allows them to always be in the same position over a given piece of ground on the equatorial axis of the earth at 35,786 kms above the earth.

In layman's terms an example would be a hammer thrower in the Olympics. The hammer does a few rotations of the persons body. It's just the person turns at the same speed.

For people on the ground though going on about the eye in the sky. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Ya I get ya now. What's frustrating is that in June 17 there only paying 85 % of 2016 . How can they get away with that ? Where is the ifa ???
    The IFA and Farmers Journal have shown where their priorities lie when you look at their silence on the GLAS payments fiasco. Other than an occasional token "Ah go on lads"  to the Minister and Department, it's clear that they couldn't care less about this particular group of farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

The IFA and Farmers Journal have shown where their priorities lie when you look at their silence on the GLAS payments fiasco. Other than an occasional token "Ah go on lads"  to the Minister and Department, it's clear that they couldn't care less about this particular group of farmers

I can't comment for the IFA but I asked a friend of a friend in the Journal to look into my GLAS payment and got it sorted for me in a couple of weeks. I know I'm not everyone but I think i'd still be waiting otherwise.

So a journalist now takes on a former role of the TD.

Ped you of course are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

Water John wrote: »
    So a journalist now takes on a former role of the TD.

Ped you of course are correct.

Couldn't give to hoots who got it sorted... If they lord and saviour got off the cross and sorted my GLAS payment, I'd be happy! I'm happy this lad fixed me up. Tis decent

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

CallofGuti wrote: »
    Couldn't give to hoots who got it sorted... If they lord and saviour got off the cross and sorted my GLAS payment, I'd be happy! I'm happy this lad fixed me up. Tis decent

Did you get any indication as to what needed sorting to allow payment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Was thinking of reseeding an old 3 acre field.
    Can I do this under Glas 2

If its part of your PP or meadow in the Glas, no. If that field is not in those categories, I think your fine.

If it outside you actions, then fine. As Water John says, as long as it isn't marked out for Glas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just wondering what was involved in doing Glas Nutrient Management Plan....don't think my planner has contacted me to do that up yet?

Thanks for any replies....I am in Glas 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Just wondering what was involved in doing Glas Nutrient Management Plan....don't think my planner has contacted me to do that up yet?

Thanks for any replies....I am in Glas 2.

From your point of view it's soil samples and a bit of info on fertiliser and slurry application housing and turn out dates if memory serves me correctly.

Wasn't the closing date for glad 1 and 2 NMP not yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks....according to Farming Indo only 5000 of 35000 plans are in with Dept yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

Tranche 1 and 2 were from 15 Mar to 15th July but it changed in Tranche 3 to the 1st of July.

Any chance they brought Tranche 1 and 2 back to 1st July also?

mayota wrote: »
    Any chance they brought Tranche 1 and 2 back to 1st July also?
    I have not seen anything written that states Tranche 1&2 are included (1st July) but I assume that they are. I'm going to top on the 1st of July this year and we are in Tranche 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

I have not seen anything written that states Tranche 1&2 are included (1st July) but I assume that they are. I'm going to top on the 1st of July this year and we are in Tranche 1.

I'm in G2 and I'll also be out on the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

mayota wrote: »
    I'm in G2 and I'll also be out on the 1st.

Can't wait to do a bit of topping. Jeez the place looks fair untidy and I never saw nettles so high or as many thistles around the place.

Advertisement