Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

sea12 wrote: »
    Can't wait to do a bit of topping. Jeez the place looks fair untidy and I never saw bettors so high it as many thistles around the place.
    Docks are heading 3' high here. Unless there's torrential rain on the 1st, I intend to spend the day topping until every dock, thistle and nettle is mowed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Base price wrote: »
    Docks are heading 3' high here. Unless there's torrential rain on the 1st, I intend to spend the day topping until every dock, thistle and nettle is mowed down.

I've a pain in me bollox looking at the lipp here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Base can't empathize with you , on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

1st of July me hole,the mower is going on next week end,if they can be 12 mts late with payments we can surely be a few days early topping☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Base price wrote: »
    sea12 wrote: »
    Jeez the place looks fair untidy and I never saw bettors so high it as many thistles around the place.
    Docks are heading 3' high here.

Lads why haven't ye sprayed the thistles, nettles and docks if they are that bad ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sami23 wrote: »
    Lads why haven't ye sprayed the thistles, nettles and docks if they are that bad ?

Spot sprayed some nettles a few weeks ago, did a mighty job on em...

Now - it was a job I had been meaning to do with about 2 years I'd say. The clump of nettles was getting bigger every year... so I can understand how things don't get done too... ;)

Sami23 wrote: »
    Spot spraying is only allowed and we've so many spots I'd get confused ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Spot sprayed some nettles a few weeks ago, did a mighty job on em...

Now - it was a job I had been meaning to do with about 2 years I'd say. The clump of nettles was getting bigger every year... so I can understand how things don't get done too... ;)

it takes a few years to get rid of them completely. goin after the creepin thistles here concentrated on one field last year and there's only one corner of it with thistles in it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

mayota wrote: »
    I'm in G2 and I'll also be out on the 1st.

I've emailed Glas Friday will confirm that G1 and G2 are good to go on July 01st or not when they get back to me

ganmo wrote: »
    it takes a few years to get rid of them completely. goin after the creepin thistles here concentrated on one field last year and there's only one corner of it with thistles in it this year

After a few years of cutting em late in the summer, the thistles in one field here are all but gone... and they were bad enough to start...

Only the (large) clumps of nettles were left ;)

We'll see if they come back after the spray... I missed a few of course, so will try to get them over the next while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Anbody cut thier THM early? Thats some weather to be missing out on. What are the penalties if inspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only compensation, User John is, if you have nettles, you have good ground.

trabpc wrote: »
    Anbody cut thier THM early? Thats some weather to be missing out on. What are the penalties if inspected?
    In response to another poster about mowing lipp
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103739963&postcount=437

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

High bike wrote: »
    1st of July me hole,the mower is going on next week end,if they can be 12 mts late with payments we can surely be a few days early topping☺️

That's making a mockery of the whole thing, plants like birds foot trefoil still at least a week to come into flower. They don't have a chance in spreading unless they set seed...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

High bike wrote: »
    That's making a mockery of the whole thing, plants like birds foot trefoil still at least a week to come into flower. They don't have a chance in spreading unless they set seed...

TBF if you enter these schemes you must be willing to live by the conditions. Any lads entering the scheme and not abiding by the rules will f@@k it up for everyone in the long run. Loads of farmers did not get into schemes or are very low payments. Lads that were lucky enough to get in should abide by the rules

Slava Ukrainii

But if the noxious weeds go to seed he'd also be in breach of legislation.
    The gov can't put ppl into a position where they are forced to choose what law to break

The gov can't put ppl into a position where they are forced to choose what law to break
    I think that they should allow weed licking in lipp and thm otherwise every farm is going to be full of thistles, docks, ragwort and nettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Base price wrote:
    I think that they should allow weed licking in lipp and thm otherwise every farm is going to be full of thistles, docks, ragwort and nettles.

Weed licking is allowed in lipp and thm.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

TBF if you enter these schemes you must be willing to live by the conditions. Any lads entering the scheme and not abiding by the rules will f@@k it up for everyone in the long run. Loads of farmers did not get into schemes or are very low payments. Lads that were lucky enough to get in should abide by the rules

completly agree. Some lads take the payments and then give out over the rules.

Ill wait till the 1st. Just a pity looking out at that weather. Im my own head i was thinking the dept may have allowed a weeks grace but that more wishful thinking on my behalf.

Between spot spraying, weed licking and hand pulling, if someone can't keep noxious weeds under control topping a few weeks early will be a waste of time.
    Also by early topping weeds are just being encouraged under lipp, good management of it should result in a fairly dense and competitive stand with a good amount of trefoil and vetch in addition to any clovers.

• Advertisement

Do ye not think if the Dept got their finger out and started paying people on time they might be more inclined to abide by the rules

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Weed licking is allowed in lipp and thm.
    Weed licking is only allowed in lipp for the control of rushes - Quote:
    10 "Pesticides are not permitted, except for spot treatment of noxious and invasive weeds and rushes. Where present, rushes must be controlled either mechanically, by weed wiping and/or by spot spraying. While weed wiping and/or spot spraying can take place between 15th March and 15th July (original Tranche 1 specs), topping to control rushes cannot take place between these dates"

THM:
    9 "Where present, rushes must be controlled either mechanically by weed wiping and/or by spot spraying. While weed wiping and/or spot spraying can take place between March and when the meadow is mown annually (after 1st of July), topping to control rushes cannot take place between these dates"

Between spot spraying, weed licking and hand pulling, if someone can't keep noxious weeds under control topping a few weeks early will be a waste of time.
    Also by early topping weeds are just being encouraged under lipp, good management of it should result in a fairly dense and competitive stand with a good amount of trefoil and vetch in addition to any clovers.
    Ah now! Topping weeds in their flowering stage is an excellent way of controlling weeds if ya leave it till they seed, which some will have by the 1st, you're just proliferating the problem.
    Spot spraying and hand pulling have their uses but they're horribly labour intensive compared to topping.
    The whole place here could be called lipp except we put an area where we never top in as our designated area

Ah now! Topping weeds in their flowering stage is an excellent way of controlling weeds if ya leave it till they seed, which some will have by the 1st, you're just proliferating the problem.
    Spot spraying and hand pulling have their uses but they're horribly labour intensive compared to topping.
    The whole place here could be called lipp except we put an area where we never top in as our designated area
    The whole point of the scheme is to increase the amount of wildflowers etc across the country, if someone is going in topping early they're preventing wildflowers getting established defeating the whole purpose of the scheme but yet still think they should get money, where is the sense in that?

Something similar to this is what ye should be aiming towards, it's hard for anything to compete with trefoil growing that thick. It's also super feed and is also a great source of pollen+nectar.

If that was topped in the next 3-4 weeks, there'd be little chance of seed being set and it would end up being an ideal spot for weeds to grow

Edit, photo didn't attach, will try and get it up later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lipp

Something similar to this is what ye should be aiming towards, it's hard for anything to compete with trefoil growing that thick. It's also super feed and is also a great source of pollen+nectar.

If that was topped in the next 3-4 weeks, there'd be little chance of seed being set and it would end up being an ideal spot for weeds to grow

Edit, photo didn't attach, will try and get it up later

This is it,
    Overall it's a bit patchier than I'd like due to being under stocked. But it is definitely more productive and better quality than it used be.

The whole point of the scheme is to increase the amount of wildflowers etc across the country, if someone is going in topping early they're preventing wildflowers getting established defeating the whole purpose of the scheme but yet still think they should get money, where is the sense in that?

I thought the point of the lipp was to help maintain the natural grasses given that one of the conditions was that there had to be at least 3 species of grass growing.

Given I don't have a topper, and am under stocked - I got a few horses in to keep the grass it under some kinda control...

I assume I can let them graze the LIPP as well? I don't think there are any issues here are there?

• Advertisement

I thought the point of the lipp was to help maintain the natural grasses given that one of the conditions was that there had to be at least 3 species of grass growing.
    correct and I know my cattle prefer fresh grass to buttercups lol

Advertisement