Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Given I don't have a topper, and am under stocked - I got a few horses in to keep the grass it under some kinda control...

I assume I can let them graze the LIPP as well? I don't think there are any issues here are there?
    There is unless you have an equine (herd) number. Also horses are calculated for stocking numbers.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/registrationofhorsepremises/

The whole point of the scheme is to increase the amount of wildflowers etc across the country, if someone is going in topping early they're preventing wildflowers getting established defeating the whole purpose of the scheme but yet still think they should get money, where is the sense in that?
    I can't figure out how they allow pesticides to be used in thm including weed licking yet they don't allow them to be used in lipp. Wild flowers/weeds have a chance of shedding in thm considering its normally well into July before we get good enough weather to mow for hay yet farmers can weedlick them out of existence when they close meadows. On the other hand every topper & disc mower will be flat out on in lipp fields on July 1st cutting noxious weeds thereby cutting wild flowers that normally grow throughout grazing fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Base price wrote: »
    I can't figure out how they allow pesticides to be used in thm including weed licking yet they don't allow them to be used in lipp. Wild flowers/weeds have a chance of shedding in thm considering its normally well into July before we get good enough weather to mow for hay yet farmers can weedlick them out of existence when they close meadows. On the other hand every topper & disc mower will be flat out on in lipp fields on July 1st cutting noxious weeds thereby cutting wild flowers that normally grow throughout grazing fields.

"Pesticides are not permitted, except for spot treatment of noxious and invasive weeds
    and rushes"

That's in the glas 3 book, so I presume they can be used

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

From dept website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

mauser77 wrote: »
    From dept website

Nice one, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"Pesticides are not permitted, except for spot treatment of noxious and invasive weeds
    and rushes"

A 3 hectare spot? ;)

and rushes"

Yes I'm aware of the conditions but the point that I'm trying to make is why is weedlicking unrestricted in thm but restricted in lipp (excluding the control of rushes) throughout the duration of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I'm in glas tranche 2 hen harrier. Does anyone know when I can start topping rushes? I can't seem to fine the dates. Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I'm in glas tranche 2 hen harrier. Does anyone know when I can start topping rushes? I can't seem to fine the dates. Many thanks in advance.
    It was to be 15th of July, it's now 1st July
    Start greasing that topper

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

The specs are on the DFM website. But it seems there is no date given for the hen harrier for topping rushes. However it looks like you have to top rushes in a stripped fashion in a field. That is cut one strip move over a distance then cut another strip and so on. Then at a later date the strips that you missed can be cut. A big negative however is, this can only be done once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    I can't figure out how they allow pesticides to be used in thm including weed licking yet they don't allow them to be used in lipp..

Its the Dept.
    Love's the old calendar farming.
    Did you expect joined up thinking? :D

It was to be 15th of July, it's now 1st July
    Start greasing that topper

All greased and ready to go. Thanks for that

TPF2012 wrote: »
    The specs are on the DFM website. But it seems there is no date given for the hen harrier for topping rushes. However it looks like you have to top rushes in a stripped fashion in a field. That is cut one strip move over a distance then cut another strip and so on. Then at a later date the strips that you missed can be cut. A big negative however is, this can only be done once a year.

That's how I was doing it, although some spots
    That are intravelable, I leave and top a bit wider. Our rushes grow so fast, you wouldn't know I topped them at all, even after licking.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

That's how I was doing it, although some spots That are intravelable, I leave and top a bit wider. Our rushes grow so fast, you wouldn't know I topped them at all, even after licking.

I topped a field 4 weeks ago (field not in Glas) that has strong rushes and it is nearly as bad again. Licked them last Saturday so see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Has anyone with their NMP submitted actually been paid the remaining E750 for 2016?!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

sonnybill wrote: »
    Has anyone with their NMP submitted actually been paid the remaining E750 for 2016?!

My planner told me the end of July it should be paid . I believe it when I see it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

My planner told me the end of July it should be paid . I believe it when I see it .
    Badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Neighbours 100 cows, grazing my Glas meadow, this morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

Water John wrote: »
    Neighbours 100 cows, grazing my Glas meadow, this morning!!!
    jaysus going to be late hay so

Walked it all. there were mostly to one side. Will keep back about 4 acres.
    They don't seem to have been too long in there. Not that many patties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Can ya hear that the sound of the topper flat out

I said wrote: »
    Can ya hear that the sound of the topper flat out
    I put the disc mower on the tractor late this evening as I was tied up with other stuff. I got busy with the grease gun, checked the back end oil level and dieseled up. When I came into the house I made a pot of chicken curry so I don't have to waste time tomorrow cooking.
    Methinks I'm becoming a slave to GLAS, although I will enjoy decimating the 3' tall docks, nettles and thistles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Cut about 30 bales THM this morning around 9am and now it's pi**ing.. 8-(

My reward for obeying the law ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Tomorrow should be ok by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

When can topping start. Im a bit confused between meadow regs and pasture regs

Both are the 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Is it not the 15th? I've always waited until the 15th To start topping

Is it not the 15th? I've always waited until the 15th To start topping

Look at Post 513, and 515 on this thread , open the attachment. They changed it.

• Advertisement

No harm bringing it back. Few thistles coming in the fields. I'll have to go topping tomorrow so :)

Advertisement