Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Thanks lads. On with the topper tomorrow so. Fields look measy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah lads, ye should have tackled it, today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Water John wrote: »
    Ah lads, ye should have tackled it, today.

Did a field yesterday evening beside the house. Transforms the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would a flail topper be better than the semi offset

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

I know I'm a bit off topic here but what's the going rate per bale for cutting, baling ,rake and wrap (plastic not included)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Alibaba wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit off topic here but what's the going rate per bale for cutting, baling ,rake and wrap (plastic not included)

I think it's around €11. I'm not 100% sure because we do mainly pit silage and only have a few bales every year from paddocks. We also do all the mowing for our silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Most of the GLAS traditional hay meadows around here were mowed in the last few days. Not a chance in hell they were tossed out once let alone twice :eek:
    Mowed with conditioner mowers, baled and wrapped.
    Whoever thought out the THM action needs a clap on the back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sure the mower conditioner is the best thing for the job. Thrash's the seeds off the heads as the flails bruise the grass/weeds/flowers.
    When you've mowed ten acres, the hood of the mower has inches of seeds and bugs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Well it was tossed once with the conditioner and again with the pickup of the mower :P

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

I think it's around €11. I'm not 100% sure because we do mainly pit silage and only have a few bales every year from paddocks. We also do all the mowing for our silage.

I was thinking it was somewhere around there alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »
    Most of the GLAS traditional hay meadows around here were mowed in the last few days. Not a chance in hell they were tossed out once let alone twice :eek:

Ours was mowed Saturday, tossed Saturday evening, Sunday, Monday and rowed and baled Monday evening. Not a drop of rain on it.

What sort of feeding value would be in the hay from THM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What sort of feeding value would be in the hay from THM

Traditional feed value. (TFV)

Will keep a traditional Shorthorn cow alive over the winter, and with enough rolled barley supplementation allow her give a traditional 500 gallons of milk.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Alibaba wrote: »

2/bale to cut and 8/bale to rake, bale and wrap
    ganmo wrote: »
    Well it was tossed once with the conditioner and again with the pickup of the mower :P

Three times if you raked it up. Most lads baling have a rake going in front of them. I cut myself and let my contractor know when I am cutting and when I wanyt it baled. He will generally rake it into to rows 24 hours before baling. It is a great job if down for three days with anyway decent weather.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Grueller wrote: »
    Ours was mowed Saturday, tossed Saturday evening, Sunday, Monday and rowed and baled Monday evening. Not a drop of rain on it.

Haylage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Just come in from topping a field that I haven't been able to get into for the last 3 years. Really felt good decimating rushes that were so heavy I could only travel in low first - a crippled snail could have moved faster, but heyho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

sea12 wrote: »
    Haylage?

Little bit off of it IMHO. Making the best of a bad job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Yip, they would be the same lads whinging about not getting paid on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

mayota wrote: »
    Showing on agfood now. Dated 6/7/17.
    Unfortunately not showing on ours. Our planner told us that he could not submit our nmp on time because the Dept's system wasn't working. I wonder how the planners for the 15,000 approved farmers managed to submit their's on time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Unfortunately not showing on ours. Our planner told us that he could not submit our nmp on time because the Dept's system wasn't working. I wonder how the planners for the 15,000 approved farmers managed to submit their's on time :(

Mine was submitted this week because I only paid the advisor on Friday last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

mayota wrote: »
    Mine was submitted this week because I only paid the advisor on Friday last.

Anyone have an idea when the Nutrient Management Plan for tranche 3 might need to be submitted?

Will it be this autumn, or would it be a next year job?
    When was it supposed to be for tranche 2 people, who joined in 2016?

Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Balancing payment up on agfood here yesterday. When can we start talking about payment for glas 2017? October?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Balancing payment up on agfood here yesterday. When can we start talking about payment for glas 2017? October?

December

Hello I was wondering can you do any re-seeding in LIPP? I'm thinking of levelling a ditch. There is about 500m to be levelled and I'm sure the ditch is at least 2m wide. After it is levelled, I want to reseed bit of ground where the ditch was. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is the ditch to one side or running through the middle? Def wouldn't touch it in the middle, personally. Why is the ditch giving you an itch, now?

Water John wrote: »
    Is the ditch to one side or running through the middle? Def wouldn't touch it in the middle, personally. Why is the ditch giving you an itch, now?

It is something I've been thinking about doing for years. It is running right through the middle of an 80 acre field. I want to fence it to divide the field roughly in half and then it won't be a big job to divide It up again. If I ran the fence up along the ditch, I would have to fill in a good few gaps along it. I ran fences along ditches before and the problem with filling in them gaps is that they will ware away with cattle/sheep walking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Cavanjack wrote: »

December

What year !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FLC

Balancing payment came in on Wednesday.

Advertisement