Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    We signed up to this programme with the dept not the advisors. The dept should be the ones informing us directly
    + 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

ganmo wrote: »
    We signed up to this programme with the dept not the advisors. The dept should be the ones informing us directly

Agree, also Do we not pay the advisors?

Group text aren't hard, everyone has mobiles these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Agree, also Do we not pay the advisors?

Group text aren't hard, everyone has mobiles these days

Yes you paid your advisor as we all did. But that was for getting into scheme and NMP. I'd say the advisors have no obligation to us now that that 'work' is done.

Perhaps l am wrong. Bad form that department couldn't send out a letter directly to each farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes you paid your advisor as we all did. But that was for getting into scheme and NMP. I'd say the advisors have no obligation to us now that that 'work' is done.

Perhaps l am wrong. Bad form that department couldn't send out a letter directly to each farmer.

Then why was it the Advisors that got the information? Surely it should have come immediately to the individual farmers involved? My cattle are fed in ring feeders & troughs, on hardcore bases, but these bases are at entrances to LIPP plots. When I was signed up to the scheme this was not seen as a problem. I still don't know if it going to cause a problem and even if it does there is not a damn thing I can do about it in the first week of October:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

KatyMac wrote: »
    Then why was it the Advisors that got the information? Surely it should have come immediately to the individual farmers involved? My cattle are fed in ring feeders & troughs, on hardcore bases, but these bases are at entrances to LIPP plots. When I was signed up to the scheme this was not seen as a problem. I still don't know if it going to cause a problem and even if it does there is not a damn thing I can do about it in the first week of October:mad:

Probably the Department are getting the advisors to do their dirty work for them and let them take the abuse at the GLAS training courses over the next few weeks. Thinking about it now very clever from the Department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Probably the Department are getting the advisors to do their dirty work for them and let them take the abuse at the GLAS training courses over the next few weeks. Thinking about it now very clever from the Department.

Maybe I should have used the word sneaky rather the clever from the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't think any penalty would have stood up as pointed out above, contract with the Dept. The onus would be on them to notify you of changes, It would be a pain however, having to fight and appeal it. Not to mind the further delay on payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

KatyMac wrote: »

We are the exact same as you. An unused silage pit is used for feeders and troughs, in the lightest field we have. Feck all we can do about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hill Bill

Do the yearly Glas Records need to be submitted, or just retained for record?
    Also does the NMP cover the 5 years of the scheme?

Had a Glas inspection earlier this year, all went well, just wouldn't like to give them an excuse to delay payments further.

Hill Bill wrote: »
    Do the yearly Glas Records need to be submitted, or just retained for record?
    Also does the NMP cover the 5 years of the scheme?

Had a Glas inspection earlier this year, all went well, just wouldn't like to give them an excuse to delay payments further.
    All record sheets have to be retained for the duration of the scheme.
    From what I understand the NMP has to be in date for the 5 years of the scheme, so if you got your NMP plan done this year then it will still be in date by the end of the scheme. Here is a link giving details but it's complicated reading
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/circulars/2016/GLASCircular022016080116.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Probably a hopeful question but will Teagasc look to accommodate part time farmers by running any of these 'Training course days' on a Saturday?

In fairness couldn't they give their staff a day during the week off in return for delivering some of the courses on a Saturday.
    For a lot of part time farmers it will be nigh impossible to get a day off work to do a course that they will get short notice of.

None of the courses will be run midweek afaik. Plenty of lads can take days off for the ploughing. I'd say if it means getting 25k they will make it work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Muckit wrote: »
    None of the courses will be run midweek afaik. Plenty of lads can take days off for the ploughing. I'd say if it means getting 25k they will make it work!!

With respect Muckit a lot of the farming crowd that attend the ploughing championship are full time farmers or part time farmers that live in the counties bordering where the event is held and have a tradition of going to the ploughing often....us poor divils from the rushes in the NW don't get time off for it.
    Obviously I'm only making a general comment but hope you get the idea at same time:).....imo Teagasc should cater to the farmers who are helping contribute to their wages.

Don't get me wrong l agree that more stuff needs to revolve around weekends/evenings. I'm not exactly enamoured about having to take a days holidays. But u know what I'll get over it

My guy, private, is running Wed, and Sat then for people with other work.
    Not easy for some to take time off, many companies now not very accommodating.

A reminder to all - You can graze WBC from midnight tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Base price wrote:
    A reminder to all - You can graze WBC from midnight tonight

Jays I had them in from midnight last night. Well 6 o'clock yester evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Graze it with what, ducks???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tanko wrote: »

That’s quackers

My stock have access to it from, this evening, from the grazing field. Should I stand in the gap until midnight? Though I suppose nobody will see, it's dark now.
    Tanks for the reminder, Base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Aravo

tanko wrote:

ganmo wrote:
    That’s quackers

Is it true that the rodents of this world are loving the WBC

Yes, good rat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, good rat food.

At least it draws them out of the yards and sheds, plus they provide a nice snack for the likes of owls, kestrels etc. out in the fields;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't forget nutrient management plan is due by end of March. Getting tight for soil samples if they're not already done.

Grazing bird cover is going to be rough alright, might not need anything to till it afterwards:D.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The main WBC area has been well grazed off in the last week by the yearling bulls and the smaller plot is still been grazed along with about 4 acres of adjoining grassland by Autumn born bulls.
    If the ground stays dry :rolleyes: I was thinking of ploughing in the next couple of weeks, leave it and when the temperatures increase get the contractor in to power harrow it.
    I was talking to our feed merchant during the week about the availability of seed especially Oats. We couldn't get Oat seed last year (due to demand for porridge oats) and ended up sowing Spring Barley which didn't grow as well as the Oats did the previous year. He suggested that we should consider Triticale (sp) seed. TBH I only heard of it when reading the GLAS specifications.
    Any opinions on using it for wbc.

A brother of mine set Triticale for years. Used it as whole crop. Very disease resistant. Set it and shut the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Base price wrote: »
    The main WBC area has been well grazed off in the last week by the yearling bulls and the smaller plot is still been grazed along with about 4 acres of adjoining grassland by Autumn born bulls.
    If the ground stays dry :rolleyes: I was thinking of ploughing in the next couple of weeks, leave it and when the temperatures increase get the contractor in to power harrow it.
    I was talking to our feed merchant during the week about the availability of seed especially Oats. We couldn't get Oat seed last year (due to demand for porridge oats) and ended up sowing Spring Barley which didn't grow as well as the Oats did the previous year. He suggested that we should consider Triticale (sp) seed. TBH I only heard of it when reading the GLAS specifications.

Base I used it as part of a pre mixed Glas seed by a merchant in tipp. It turned out ok, took to seed well and it's not in great ground.

sea12 wrote: »
    Base I used it as part of a pre mixed Glas seed by a merchant in tipp. It turned out ok, took to seed well and it's not in great ground.
    Thanks for that. The majority of the ground is good free draining soil sloping to a wet'ish peaty bottom of about half an acre.
    What does it cost per 15kg bag compared to oat or barley seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Thanks for that. The majority of the ground is good free draining soil sloping to a wet'ish peaty bottom of about half an acre.
    What does it cost per 15kg bag compared to oat or barley seed.

I think it was €40 for a 25 kg bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Triticale will stand up longer over the winter and will discourage rats and crows because of this. Seed availability may be an issue but it is recommended for soils that may be more difficult or low in fertility.
    On a side note the National Association of Regional Game Councils pay a rebate on birdcrop seed that is provided through local Gunclubs. It may not suit everyone but may be worthwhile investigating if it suits both parties

Advertisement