Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume you would need 4 bags per Ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Anyone still not paid ? I got no 2017 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has anyone used these folks? http://rathcormacgunclub.com/product/glas-seed-crop-mix/
    Was going to order from them but thought I'd ask here first!

Yeah, used them last year. But it was oats. Seems change for this year. Most of my oats was eaten before it grew. He supplies a lot of gunclubs.

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah, used them last year. But it was oats. Seems change for this year. Most of my oats was eaten before it grew. He supplies a lot of gunclubs.

Noticed that with our oats too! Though we did bring in pheasants with them, used to watch the field and you'd see the rustles through it & then one stalk would shake & bend over as they brought it down to eat:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Has anyone used these folks? http://rathcormacgunclub.com/product/glas-seed-crop-mix/
    No.
    FFS, germination in the Sunny South East visa vie the colder climates of Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Happy to recommend Triticale.
    Planted this in 2017.Slightly boggy wettish low fertility ground.Triticale is tough & seems resistant to everything.The Triticale grew well & stayed intact over the winter.Seed cost was circa 55 euro per acre.The weather was so bad it was the first time ever we were unable to get second cut silage, but the Triticale kept growing.
    Oats didn't do as well the previous year which was a drier year.
    The place was overrun with Pheasants eating the Triticale & I was thinking now I know how Gobnait O Lunasa felt with all those wild birds she got for Christmas creating havoc ( Frank Kelly song )

Thanks for that, lads and lassies, the triticale looks a better option and will go with it this year.

Base price wrote: »
    No.
    FFS, germination in the Sunny South East visa vie the colder climates of Leitrim.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

:confused:
    Soil temperatures in the south would be warmer to aid better germination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Track9 wrote: »
    Happy to recommend Triticale.
    Planted this in 2017.Slightly boggy wettish low fertility ground.Triticale is tough & seems resistant to everything.The Triticale grew well & stayed intact over the winter.Seed cost was circa 55 euro per acre.The weather was so bad it was the first time ever we were unable to get second cut silage, but the Triticale kept growing.
    Oats didn't do as well the previous year which was a drier year.
    The place was overrun with Pheasants eating the Triticale & I was thinking now I know how Gobnait O Lunasa felt with all those wild birds she got for Christmas creating havoc ( Frank Kelly song )

In 2016 planted triticale,kale and mustard. Triticale grew great but mostly attracted rats/crows. The kale performed well in second year, loads of bumble bees (great yellow bumblebees), and great feeding for small birds (skylark, twite, linnets).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Doing some composting for glas3, deadline is Nov 18.
    Can’t cut after Feb, but is there any deadline on infilling with slips

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Starchasers

Just inquiring lads, I’m not in glas but my neighbour is and I’ve a right of way to cross his land via a narrow boreen to access our land. As he’s in glas, what cutting/ pruning of the trees on the road side of the (his) ditch do you think is permitted bearing in mind glas?? He’s kinda cranky but what is catching me is the branches that would rip off a wing mirror of a van or tractor etc unless there retracted etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Doing some composting for glas3, deadline is Nov 18.
    Can’t cut after Feb, but is there any deadline on infilling with slips

The coppicing would be the most important at this stage,is it not getting late for infilling with whips at this stage

fepper wrote: »
    The coppicing would be the most important at this stage,is it not getting late for infilling with whips at this stage
    Cutting is done since December, didn’t plant with frost & snow, can’t you plant in a r month, but thought there was a deadline of March 1st etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Cutting is done since December, didn’t plant with frost & snow, can’t you plant in a r month, but thought there was a deadline of March 1st etc

ah we wont tell anyone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Bare root whips can still be planted by do it lively. The colder weather is delaying things slightly but that won't last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Ya I used them last year. Sowed the "johns delight" mix. I found it great stuff. It grew very well and attracted some amount of birds over the year

Looking at that, is it €200/Hectare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Looking at that, is it €200/Hectare?

Yep

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    Yep

When is the official date for closing the traditional hay meadows. Is it the 15th April

Yep.

Yep.

I wonder will they relax it a little the year due to the fodder shortage and lack of grass

Well the cows might, break in.

Just note, someone posted on another thread that, you can graze until the end of April, derogation. Just from fear anyone missed it.

When is GLAS officially over?

It is a 6 year contract. I'm Glas 2 and going into my third year. Glas 1 bit ahead of me, Glas 3 a bit behind.

It is a 6 year contract. I'm Glas 2 and going into my third year. Glas 1 bit ahead of me, Glas 3 a bit behind.
    I thought they all ended the same time, with Glas1 being longest

It's a five year contract from when you first started is it not?

• Advertisement

Could be 5. I might be mixing it up with the Beef Genome Scheme.

It's 5 years, ending in Dec 2020, for me. Mea Culpa.

Advertisement