Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

How much was paid today lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

lab man wrote: »
    How much was paid today lads
    15% balancing payment so it depends if you have up to the max payment/actions in GLAS (€5,000) and if so payment is €750.03. I presume that GLAS+ participants would get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

In GLAS here and money is welcome. I am Low Input Pasture but I have weeds and docks like never before. It will cost a fortune on sprays and possible reseeding when the scheme ends.
    One would have to question it's viability when the fields are full of weeds and probably going down the p and k scales. What are other people doing to control the weeds?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

kk.man wrote: »
    In GLAS here and money is welcome. I am Low Input Pasture but I have weeds and docks like never before. It will cost a fortune on sprays and possible reseeding when the scheme ends.
    One would have to question it's viability when the fields are full of weeds and probably going down the p and k scales. What are other people doing to control the weeds?

Docks love a high N regime, take the foot off the pedal and there should be less after 5 years. I did soil tests this year after using no P in reps for 6 years, everything was index 3 or 4, couldn't believe it. K was a different story though, index 1 and 2 but we have a lot of sandy soil where K leaches out anyway.

The weeds are what the LIPP is all about, what type are they?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Docks love a high N regime, take the foot off the pedal and there should be less after 5 years. I did soil tests this year after using no P in reps for 6 years, everything was index 3 or 4, couldn't believe it. K was a different story though, index 1 and 2 but we have a lot of sandy soil where K leaches out anyway.

I'll post a photo later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Knapsack!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

id be embarrassed letting anyone inside my gate atm. Nettles and thistles everywhere. Going to have to put a weedlicker to top of list of toys to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

id be embarrassed letting anyone inside my gate atm. Nettles and thistles everywhere. Going to have to put a weedlicker to top of list of toys to buy.

Yea I'm the same. It's horrible to look at the thistles and nettles and the sprayer sitting in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Any ideas of prices or the best model of weedlicker to use, I'm in the market myself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Been a few threads on here on this, here's one;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101105645

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

blue5000 wrote: »

Your right that Docks love high N levels - ironically that is why they are such a pest in heavy silage covers that receive heavy inputs of slurry and chemical fert. Natural grasslands on the other hand(sadly very few left which reflects pretty poorly on agri-environment schemes in this country) have very few docks but a big variety of usefull herbal plants that not only are great for bees and other wildlife but also add a variety of essential elements to the diet of cattle etc. Many also give natural immunity to stock from worms and other parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Water John wrote:
    Been a few threads on here on this, here's one;

jd06 wrote:
    Any ideas of prices or the best model of weedlicker to use, I'm in the market myself

Also wondering and this could be a silly question, but if the licker licks thistles will the wheels coming behind not pick up the spray especially if it was roundup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

To enhance the biodiversity of our WBC I bought 2kgs of Phacelia seed. I was going to add it to the linseed and broadcast with the wagtail at the same time to an area of WBC. Oats will also be planted.

Any suggestions/recommendations about sowing it would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Can traditional hay meadow be reseeded after the crop is taken? No doubt there is a rule on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Aravo wrote: »
    Can traditional hay meadow be reseeded after the crop is taken? No doubt there is a rule on this.

Tradiational is the key word. They are looking for old traditional type grasses and associated non grass species instead of perennial Rye grass swards so reseeding is a no no until your contract is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Same here - fields in LIPP are in a horrible state, have a young lad coming next week with a weedlicker and I can't wait! The minute I'm out of the GLAS contract every inch of my farm is going to be sprayed. Farming by calendar dates is a cod. If you don't get topped by mid March you have to spend the next 4 months watching the rushes waving at you - hate it:(. Was looking yesterday at trees that I planted while in REPS and they are a whole lot more use to than letting weeds/rushes take over.
    I'm in a KT group and keep dodging the 'farm visit' as Green farmer says 'it would be worse than embarrasing'

KatyMac wrote: »

Same here - fields in LIPP are in a horrible state, have a young lad coming next week with a weedlicker and I can't wait! The minute I'm out of the GLAS contract every inch of my farm is going to be sprayed. Farming by calendar dates is a cod. If you don't get topped by mid March you have to spend the next 4 months watching the rushes waving at you - hate it:(. Was looking yesterday at trees that I planted while in REPS and they are a whole lot more use to than letting weeds/rushes take over.
    I'm in a KT group and keep dodging the 'farm visit' as Green farmer says 'it would be worse than embarrasing'
    +1...my fields are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 18,551 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are making money out of GLAS why be embarrassed. Lots of lads chasing there tails to make the 3-4k that reps may leave you. Remember to top it every time when you get a chance when not in the GLAS window. A topping late in the year will leave the rushes roots exposed to frost. The licker will weaken the rushes anyway and hit the high weeds.

With that type of land it is hard to make 1-150/ acre that LIPP will give you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Luckily theres no farm visits in the current KT scheme like there was in the last one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

tanko wrote: »
    Luckily theres no farm visits in the current KT scheme like there was in the last one!!!

Oh God the horror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

I have rented land in glas and the one I'm renting of is only after getting a lad to top about 8 acres around the house after me telling her I cant do it until start of July . Is there any way I could get out of glas at the end of this year without penalty that is if I don't get nailed for it before then.

drive it wrote: »
    I have rented land in glas and the one I'm renting of is only after getting a lad to top about 8 acres around the house after me telling her I cant do it until start of July . Is there any way I could get out of glas at the end of this year without penalty that is if I don't get nailed for it before then.
    Off the top of my head I read somewhere that if you leave it prematurely you repay all monies received bar force majeure situation.
    That was some cheek to do that to land u rent. In theory she could be held liable for any penalties you might incur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looks like there will be significant changes to agri-environment schemes in the new CAP. More money will be on offer but there will be alot closer attention to "results" and thankfully schemes will be more "targeted" in terms of suiting the needs of each regions ecology. Hopefully it will mean more EU Life type schemes that have been so successful in the Burren and elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

IMG_0266.JPGthis is what i let the hefiers in to yesterday LIPP :mad:

moll3 wrote: »
    Join the club !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

It's s pity they don't let u swap traditional hay meadows and llip around. I grazed the hay fiends late in the spring but then the grass in the llip fields is after jumping ahead and some are gone into meadows. There will be some waste.
    After a fodder crisis it seems crazy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

moll3 wrote: »
    Join the club !

+2, have everything I can graze on mine at the minute to try and get it under control. I will bale and wrap elsewhere later in the month. On the other hand being able to graze the hay meadow for an extra 2 weeks will hopefully improve the quality a bit compared to last year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

sea12 wrote: »
    It's s pity they don't let u swap traditional hay meadows and llip around. I grazed the hay fiends late in the spring but then the grass in the llip fields is after jumping ahead and some are gone into meadows. There will be some waste.
    After a fodder crisis it seems crazy

This.
    A lot of stupidity behind the GLAS rules - but this has to be one of the worst of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

If you are making money out of GLAS why be embarrassed. Lots of lads chasing there tails to make the 3-4k that reps may leave you. Remember to top it every time when you get a chance when not in the GLAS window. A topping late in the year will leave the rushes roots exposed to frost. The licker will weaken the rushes anyway and hit the high weeds.

With that type of land it is hard to make 1-150/ acre that LIPP will give you
    Too much topping is also a bad thing. It should be used as sparingly as possible or else it is paving the way for weeds and unproductive grasses to dominate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Am a bit confused......I thought you were not allowed do any spraying of rushes etc in Glas at all....or are you allowed to if you are doing the LIPP as one of your measures?

Advertisement