Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭memorystick

After putting paddocks into the lipp. 1 16 acre field gone from strip grazing to 3 permanent divides which can be subdivided and 11 acres into 3. Should make a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

Base price wrote: »
    Ours is grazed but regrowth isn't great. I will head out tomorrow and top the areas of king thistles otherwise leave the rest of it alone.
    same here no point in topping just for the sake of it with no prospect of growth any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

High bike wrote: »
    same here no point in topping just for the sake of it with no prospect of growth any time soon

+1 Its probably the only grass I have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

High bike wrote: »

No be better off baling it :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ironically being allowed to graze the thm for an extra fortnite fcuked up the LIPP. It got too strong in that fortnite.

Lads will be talking about 2018 in 40 years time, it's the first year that global warming really hit us.

Bird cover I hope hasn't germinated yet, I see a bit that was sown on a damp field before the last rain and it's just about surviving.

Knee high spring barley headed out this week too.

Thinking strongly of leaving the stock bulls in for only 6 weeks this year and anything empty at scanning will be gone, won't be much feed for passengers this winter.
    You remind me of Irish Bob a few years ago when we got 3 wet years in a row and he said it was proof of climate change now one month of dry weather and it's proof of global warming. Weather and climate are not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

I sowed my WBC on 30th May 9Barley and Linseed) The Linseed is taking a bit but I can see a blade of barley yet. I got some rain the first week of June or so but nothing in the past 3 weeks. The Linseed has taken a bit but I can see no barley at all. Are others having the same problem and whats the solution? Sow again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oldira wrote: »
    I sowed my WBC on 30th May 9Barley and Linseed) The Linseed is taking a bit but I can see a blade of barley yet. I got some rain the first week of June or so but nothing in the past 3 weeks. The Linseed has taken a bit but I can see no barley at all. Are others having the same problem and whats the solution? Sow again?

The Barley should be up a long time ago, as you well know.

Resowing may have to be considered, the take here is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Danzy wrote: »
    The Barley should be up a long time ago, as you well know.

Resowing may have to be considered, the take here is woeful.

Spoke to my Agri Consultant and he said not to resow. I would tear up all the Linseed and the seeds my germinate yet after some rain. Ihear loads of people are having the same issue with the drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the Regs say you must sow. Proof of seed purchase is the main way of proof. Don't think there is any mention of the crops establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I know in reps the crop had to get established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Aravo

Made some hay from a traditional hay meadow area. Another field of THM is pretty light and will leave for another while. Not much else I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    I think the Regs say you must sow. Proof of seed purchase is the main way of proof. Don't think there is any mention of the crops establishment.
    I wonder would Force Majeure (T&C's) be applied in this current drought -

20.3.4 A natural disaster affecting the holding’s agricultural land

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1TandCs071015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

Im on GLAS as two years but now interested in growing the wildbird crop....can i do this now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I wonder would Force Majeure (T&C's) be applied in this current drought -

20.3.4 A natural disaster affecting the holding’s agricultural land

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1TandCs071015.pdf

That is something the box tickets probably haven’t even thought of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

coyle21 wrote: »
    Im on GLAS as two years but now interested in growing the wildbird crop....can i do this now ?

No your plan that signed up for is for the full 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

sea12 wrote: »
    No your plan that signed up for is for the full 5 years.

THANKS, i have purchased 12 acres recently and could i start up a new plan on this land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

THANKS, i have purchased 12 acres recently and could i start up a new plan on this land

No, not AFAIK. The plan is for your farm. That land would also come in under your current plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

No it's closed now so no new plans allowed. Best of luck with the new land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

So, followed the rules and didn’t top until the 1st July. Passed by today to see if I stopped the thistles from seeding. Unfortunately they’ve gone every where. The date in 1st is totally unworkable imo , and I’m fierce disappointed with the inflexibility of the minister by ignoring the calls of farmers to help us out. Can only guess the state of the place after the next few years in glas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The only fields with any sort of picking here that hasn't been scorched is the LIPP grounds. Neighbour topped all his and is lamenting it now as nothing for the cattle to pick through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

So, followed the rules and didn’t top until the 1st July. Passed by today to see if I stopped the thistles from seeding. Unfortunately they’ve gone every where. The date in 1st is totally unworkable imo , and I’m fierce disappointed with the inflexibility of the minister by ignoring the calls of farmers to help us out. Can only guess the state of the place after the next few years in glas.

Already had a change of date for GLAS traditional hay meadow, grazing was extended in Spring by two weeks. What's the point of having having agri-environmental schemes (already watered down), which are constantly been gutted.

Already had a change of date for GLAS traditional hay meadow, grazing was extended in Spring by two weeks. What's the point of having having agri-environmental schemes (already watered down), which are constantly been gutted.

Well, the 1st of July is letting every noxious weed in the place go to seed and run riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

That is the while purpose of LIPP and hay meadow, the delayed cutting date allows flowers to go to seed some weeds unfortunately. You get a big payment for this, I don't understand the problem, was this not explained to you by your planner. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Well, the 1st of July is letting every noxious weed in the place go to seed and run riot.

Would you not lick them early and have them die before they reach that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Scheme is voluntary, nobody is forced into it. You can also exit the scheme if you want.

Yes, we’re meant to have 2 options topping or chemicals. For those that don’t like chemicals, it’s rendering the only other option (topping) ineffective as the horse has already bolted. We’ve a well drinking water well, so prefer the topping if possible. As I say looking out on the topped field, all I can see is balls of white thistle seed flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Glas isn't compulsory.

Weed licking is only allowed for rushes in LIPP. Noxious weeds can be spot sprayed otherwise the use of pesticides is not allowed.
    Personally I prefer not to use pesticides if at all possible and rely on topping. I topped the areas of king thistle in our LIPP last week but left the rest alone. As you said there is picking in it for cattle.

Weed licking is only allowed for rushes in LIPP. Noxious weeds can be spot sprayed otherwise the use of pesticides is not allowed.
    Personally I prefer not to use pesticides if at all possible and rely on topping. I topped the areas of king thistle in our LIPP last week but left the rest alone. As you said there is picking in it for cattle.

But when you're licking the rushes, you're hardly going to swerve around every thistle you see!

• Advertisement

But when you're licking the rushes, you're hardly going to swerve around every thistle you see!
    Problem we have is there are no rushes in our LIPP fields - I don't know if that is a good or bad thing :confused:

Advertisement