Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭limo_100

Just wondering how everyone else is getting on with there meadows and what fertilizer you spread and how much to the acre. I'm going to shake mine this coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Just wondering if it possible to alter plan alter Glas plan after it has been submitted & approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not definite, but I think no is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it possible to alter plan alter Glas plan after it has been submitted & approved.

You can take certain actions out of the plan entirely, or reduce the size of area based actions on BPS but you cannot move actions or change parcels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Thanks,
    I'm down for meadows but have a serious infestation of docks. And considering of putting in a few sheep to clear them as spraying is out.

• Advertisement

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    I'm down for meadows but have a serious infestation of docks. And considering of putting in a few sheep to clear them as spraying is out.

You can still spot spray and graze outside the specified dates if it's any good to you. If you want to reduce the size if the meadows you'll have to do it before BPS closes tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

You can still spot spray and graze outside the specified dates if it's any good to you. If you want to reduce the size if the meadows you'll have to do it before BPS closes tomorrow

How can they tell if you've sprayed or not unless they catch you at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cavanjack wrote: »
    How can they tell if you've sprayed or not unless they catch you at it?

Dead and dieing vegetation would be a giveaway eg. its pretty obvious when a field has been spot sprayed for nettles etc. Anyone with even a passing interest in such things would spot that and it would be obvious for a few weeks after spraying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

limo_100 wrote: »
    Just wondering how everyone else is getting on with there meadows and what fertilizer you spread and how much to the acre. I'm going to shake mine this coming week

Slurry + Urea as usual for the Hay meadows (Cough cough Silage)
    Had the cattle graze the fields tight up to mid April (Cough cough Again May)
    Spread a coat of slurry then 1 bag of Urea to the acre.
    hope to be cutting the Hay after the 1st of July. (Cough cough sure if the Weather isnt at 30C then I`ll have to wrap it)
    Ive a bad chest, must be Hay-fever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The Cuban wrote: »
    hope to be cutting the Hay after the 1st of July. (Cough cough sure if the Weather isnt at 30C then I`ll have to wrap it)
    . No wonder general public lambast farmers for getting REPS/GLAS money for doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Are you allowed to resseed in glass. In with less and sandpit for bees and stone walls

Are you allowed to resseed in glass. In with less and sandpit for bees and stone walls

Not allowed to reseed areas selected for meadows, low input, SAC and if you've some land designated for birds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭limo_100

The Cuban wrote: »

I have the same fecking cough closed the meadows 2 weeks ago topped them after that was thing of going with 3 bags of 18-6-12 or 20-2.5-12 silage gold with 2% sulphur and 2 bags of gran lime to the acre. Its land that wasn't meadowed in years and didn't get much fertilizer either and I have no access to slurry either. what do use think if 18-6-12 the way to go?? I will also wrap at the first sign of trouble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Silly question but is there any suggested heights or fixing regulations for bat and bird boxes?

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Silly question but is there any suggested heights or fixing regulations for bat and bird boxes?

Birds 2.5m and bats 4m is what's recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Bat boxes - four meters off the ground and 3 per tree or post facing different directions - north, south, east or west.
    Don't know about bird boxes.
    Edit to say: a meter clearance around the bat box - no ivy or branches in the way.

Base price wrote: »
    Bat boxes - four meters off the ground and 3 per tree or post facing different directions - north, south, east or west.
    Don't know about bird boxes.
    Edit to say: a meter clearance around the bat box - no ivy or branches in the way.

Correct and the bird boxes should face North East if possible, it doesn't matter where exactly they go in the parcel as long as the boxes stay within the parcel selected on the application

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Birds 2.5m and bats 4m is what's recommended

Also put 3 bat boxes on one tree/post facing in different directions . I had inspection and had one on it's own and was told to move it.

Also for those fencing watercourses, he stepped the distance posts out from it, so keep out the distance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭50HX

what kind of posts are ye putting up for the bat boxes?

4mtrs up and 1 mtr under ground is a fair length of a post

i'm caught for trees in the parcel they moved the boxes to....can't be in the same parcel as HH

Muckit wrote: »
    Also put 3 bat boxes on one tree/post facing in different directions . I had inspection and had one on it's own and was told to move it.

Also for those fencing watercourses, he stepped the distance posts out from it, so keep out the distance!!

Yea same with any sheds etc, only 1 box per external wall. When inspected and told you to move it, had you other boxes in the same parcel to make up the numbers? For example, 2 other bat boxes on the same parcel..

• Advertisement

I had the required number of boxes, all in yhrees bar last two trees where l had put 2 on on tree and 1 on other. Inspector said it was 15 for a reason ie 5 groups of 3. I am blessed that have plenty of oak and ash trees for both bat and bird boxes. As said wouldn't like to be mounting on pole. Pain in hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Thanks everyone I'm going out to install tomorrow. Now where's my compass.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Natures compass, moss grows on the northern side.

Water John wrote: »
    Natures compass, moss grows on the northern side.
    Not true in my experience. Moss will grow where there is no continuous direct sunlight. However I will stand corrected :)

Which is usually on the north side of a hedge or building or whatever

Muckit wrote: »
    Which is usually on the north side of a hedge or building or whatever
    As I said moss will grow where there is no direct sunlight eg if your land is surrounded by mature/semi mature forestry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Our plan said to have 3 groups of 5 bat boxes. Had to check again to be sure after reading this thread.

Our plan said to have 3 groups of 5 bat boxes. Had to check again to be sure after reading this thread.
    3 bat boxes per tree/post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Base price wrote: »
    3 bat boxes per tree/post.

No. Confirmed with planner. 5 on our plan. Not normally 5 but planner said he's seen it on others too.

• Advertisement

No. Confirmed with planner. 5 on our plan. Not normally 5 but planner said he's seen it on others too.
    ??
    Read the specifications off the scheme.
    I'm not doubting your planner, as your area maybe different to the national average due to geographical location ??

Advertisement