Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Since joining glas I have noticed a large increase in butterflies, cinnabar caterpillars do a great job on ragwort also damsel flies and grasshoppers in abundance. Downside are they amount of horseflies b*#*ards.
    Ditto with the horseflies as my arms can attest to.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

No topping on LIPP parcels until Midnight Sunday 15th July, THM cutting date was brought forward to July 01st last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

sonnybill wrote: »
    No topping on LIPP parcels until Midnight Sunday 15th July, THM cutting date was brought forward to July 01st last year.
    It has changed. GLAS Tranche 1 & 2 LIPP topping date was brought forward to the 1st of July last year inline with GLAS Tranche 3. See attached DAFM notification:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/circulars/2017/Cir2AmendToppingDateLIPPActionGLASApps190617.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Aravo

Got hay from some Of The THM last week. Cut the rest yesterday evening and baled today (yes it was turned twice). Few spits of rain when drawing in last bale. Are things a changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Was pulling ragwort yesterday and ended up leaving plants because the amount of cinnabar moths on them - eat you little buggers, eat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

KatyMac wrote: »
    Was pulling ragwort yesterday and ended up leaving plants because the amount of cinnabar moths on them - eat you little buggers, eat!!

Same here - them and many other species are booming in the heat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have some land in LIPP with a lot rushes on it. When they cut, can I bale them? Book says I can't make hay or silage but this 'technically' is neither. People buying them for bedding I'm told.

Was walking through the LIPP in runners earlier, other years it would have to be wellies only.
    The rush is quite dense (despite my best efforts of licking last year) and I thought of this post.
    Could I cut, bale & stack in a corner to rot?
    If I could I might apply some slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Was walking through the LIPP in runners earlier, other years it would have to be wellies only.
    The rush is quite dense (despite my best efforts of licking last year) and I thought of this post.
    Could I cut, bale & stack in a corner to rot?
    If I could I might apply some slurry

Bale away n sell for bedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

can anyone shed light on what restrictions have been lifted? Finding different reports such as:

slurry and fert dates extend (from minister at tullamore)
    traditional meadow is allowed to be cut again? (saw it on FJ website)
    LIPP can these be cut? (seen murmurs but nothing concrete)

we are low stocked and could definitely cut 25-30 acres of above if got the all clear. good dry land so could have decent crop come Oct in other fields too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

glanman wrote: »
    can anyone shed light on what restrictions have been lifted? Finding different reports such as:

we are low stocked and could definitely cut 25-30 acres of above if got the all clear. good dry land so could have decent crop come Oct in other fields too

as with all things go back to the source
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2018/august/title,119867,en.html

however it doesn't make it any clearer.

LIPP can't be cut for hay/silage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,320 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your list seems about right. Not sure do the Dept need verification of these from the individual farmer. I presume just records of fertiliser application.
    Not sure of the fertiliser that can be applied to LIPP?

Ganmo may be right on LIPP. Really is pathetic not to have clear guidelines issued. Every day is a day of growth lost.

"The over riding priority is to maximise fodder production from all available land."

could you argue allowing LIPP to be cut would fit into above?!

Would agree. All land that can produce any winter fodder should be encouraged in any way it can. All rules should be set aside to achieve this. Ground such as LIPP won't be damaged by giving it a feed and taking a cut. A national effort.
    No point in shouting about the crises in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Water John wrote: »
    Would agree. All land that can produce any winter fodder should be encouraged in any way it can. All rules should be set aside to achieve this. Ground such as LIPP won't be damaged by giving it a feed and taking a cut. A national effort.
    No point in shouting about the crises in Jan.

Correct, fertilize for offtake, the fields won't be any better or worse for it next year.

glanman wrote: »

The Minister requested a derogation for mowing LIPP on the 2nd of August but as of yet no word back from EU.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2018/august/title,119496,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I have a few LIPPs parcels that need tidying up; furze, briars etc are growing well out from the ditches. Is there any allowance in the regs for improving these areas or will it just be a case of clearing them up and let the weeds take over until my 5 years are complete?
    Have asked my advisor on a few occasions and she keeps telling me she'll find out. Even if there was a suitable seed available to sow on the bare areas it would make a lot more sense than letting the briars or weeds take over.
    Have no intention of reclaiming the land but was going to scrape them back with the digger and maybe give the bald patches a couple of runs of the power harrow.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2018/august/title,120024,en.html

LIPP cutting should get the go ahead from 1st Sept

Minister Creed commented; “We have been exploring a range of initiatives in light of the recent severe drought conditions and their impact on an already difficult fodder situation and I had raised with Commissioner Hogan the potential benefits of some adjustments under the GLAS Scheme. These will specifically add to the quantities of winter fodder available by bringing over 260,000 additional hectares into production. I wish to thank the Commissioner and his officials for their engagement on this. Both he and I were in full agreement that obviously any measures had to be both meaningful for the farmer while also respecting the environmental priorities of the GLAS scheme and I am delighted that we have achieved this today”.

Just as long as Big Phil doesn't do a Big Phil!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There will probably some sorta of national water quality trade off (orchestrated by the IFA) between the expanding/industrial Southern/Midland dairy herds and the diminishing livestock/forestry farms further North. Overall the water quality of the Country will be ok but on a County by County basis many will fail miserably.

In water quality terms the country is divided into 8 Basins. The biggest of these being the Shannon basin which affects 11 counties. That would include a large portion of Arrabawn's suppliers
    Each of these Basins has its own plan and individual improvement targets.
    Water etc come under the Dept of Environment. Dept of Ag would not have much influence.
    As an aside, Nenagh is sitting on very good groundwater. The town should never have been supplied by water from the Shannon. A mistake made in many local authority supplies. Engineers and big plant seem tied to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

GLAS Fallow Land parcels: off takes permitted between 01/09/2018 & 30/11/2018. Standard GLAS requirements from 01/12/2018.

Presume I can’t graze it? It’s too rough to mow

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Qprmeath wrote: »
    GLAS Fallow Land parcels: off takes permitted between 01/09/2018 & 30/11/2018. Standard GLAS requirements from 01/12/2018.

Presume I can’t graze it? It’s too rough to mow

I got text today too that I could cut my LIPP.. ironically I was shaking bit of N on a parcel today .. Oct 20th cutting.. could be wet then though .. pity they didn’t sanction this earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Base price wrote: »
    There will probably some sorta of national water quality trade off (orchestrated by the IFA) between the expanding/industrial Southern/Midland dairy herds and the diminishing livestock/forestry farms further North. Overall the water quality of the Country will be ok but on a County by County basis many will fail miserably.
    Plans are for diminishing livestock farms to be blanketed with stika spruce forestry. The water quality will be trashed unfortunately.

Plans are for diminishing livestock farms to be blanketed with stika spruce forestry. The water quality will be trashed unfortunately.
    I remember (as a child) when we joined the EEC listening to my two eldest siblings discussing the fact that they (other member states) saw/wanted Irish land to be planted with forestry thereby supplying timber requirements to the other member states.

I must have a trawl through the archives to see can I find any articles about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

sonnybill wrote: »
    I got text today too that I could cut my LIPP.. ironically I was shaking bit of N on a parcel today .. Oct 20th cutting.. could be wet then though .. pity they didn’t sanction this earlier
    A text from the Dept??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    A text from the Dept??

Yeah, i got it too. If you give your number to them they send texts about different schemes and if theyve made a payment to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

is GLAS only for five years and be replaced again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

LeoHughes wrote: »

yes and probably
    EU says we have to have an agri environmental plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Results based schemes are being touted as replacing schemes like GLAS. Farmers with good measurable biodiversity/habitats/threatened species would get higher payments. This would be similar to Burren scheme.

However Phil Hogan has said that individual Countries will have a say on how schemes will be implemented. For Ireland that would most likely mean no results based schemes and watered down agri-environmental schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ganmo wrote: »

yes and probably
    EU says we have to have an agri environmental plan
    When do you think we will hear about the new schemes ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement