Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

endainoz wrote: »
    That fat organics payment is nice and all, but you do offset a decent chunk of it on bedding, and I made a few purchases already such as a buck take to get rid of the dung. I reckon it was about two hours extra labour a week when taking bedding into consideration. That said, I can get a grant for a loader and a dung fork so hope to have that sorted for next winter. But of course you save on fertilizers and herbicides too, so overall it's definitely worth my while doing it.

The scheme will surely be opening again very soon and the huge amount of people that were rejected last time should be considered first.

I don't house anything. If I want to go housing stock, I'll grow fast growing trees and chip them. The only issues I could foresee in the near future is sourcing organic hay and a questionmark over crystalyx, but I only used 50 bales this Winter/Spring.

I organise my farm to suit me and how I want my life to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

That fat organics payment is nice and all, but you do offset a decent chunk of it on bedding, and I made a few purchases already such as a buck take to get rid of the dung. I reckon it was about two hours extra labour a week when taking bedding into consideration. That said, I can get a grant for a loader and a dung fork so hope to have that sorted for next winter. But of course you save on fertilizers and herbicides too, so overall it's definitely worth my while doing it.

The scheme will surely be opening again very soon and the huge amount of people that were rejected last time should be considered first.

Why is there increased bedding costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

893bet wrote: »
    Why is there increased bedding costs?

Don’t think you’re supposed to leave them in slatted pens, must be bedded pens or lie-backs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Slats and straw bedding lie area 50/50. I bed once per week, 20 mins. No clean out till end of winter. Will hire a skid to empty shed.
    The straw will be a cost but dung has a value.

The new Farm to Fork, EU policy will be unveiled next Wednesday May 20th.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/meps-quiz-food-safety-commissioner-on-fertiliser-and-pesticide-reduction-plans/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

I don't house anything. If I want to go housing stock, I'll grow fast growing trees and chip them. The only issues I could foresee in the near future is sourcing organic hay and a questionmark over crystalyx, but I only used 50 bales this Winter/Spring.

I organise my farm to suit me and how I want my life to be.

As every farm should be, if your avoiding housing that's a huge advantage. I wouldn't see much of an issue sourcing organic hay either, if you can't find any, you should be able to get a derogation to buy conventional.

I'm not familiar with crystalyx but if it's not certified organic you won't be able to use it.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Slats and straw bedding lie area 50/50. I bed once per week, 20 mins. No clean out till end of winter. Will hire a skid to empty shed.

The new Farm to Fork, EU policy will be unveiled next Wednesday May 20th.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/meps-quiz-food-safety-commissioner-on-fertiliser-and-pesticide-reduction-plans/

Indeed it does, I'm planning to spread the dung towards the back end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tommy Earley in Lietrim beds his award winning organic herd on Rushes(which also heat calving sheds, house etc.). Very happy looking stock too when I visited the place back in late October having had already housed most of them for the winter.

Visited his place doing the Organic Course. When I was young we used to mow three sections of bog rushes. Only a herd of dairy cows or finishing cattle would take a good amount of bedding. 3/4 round bales per milking cow, I think.

The straw will be a cost but dung has a value.]

Did you already have a lie back area or had you to alter an existing shed?

I had an old three bay hay shed with two leanto's, one already floored. Did up all three, but only need one leanto for cattle ATM. Spent about €6K, but it's nice to have it done. This shed is about 20 metres from the slatted unit. Looking to maybe alter it to give me two separate lots. Anyone feel like knocking a doorway out of a mass concrete wall?

• Advertisement

I had an old three bay hay shed with two leanto's, one already floored. Did up all three, but only need one leanto for cattle ATM. Spent about €6K, but it's nice to have it done. This shed is about 20 metres from the slatted unit. Looking to maybe alter it to give me two separate lots. Anyone feel like knocking a doorway out of a mass concrete wall?

There’s an add on DD with a vertical saw
    Don’t tempt the Consaw & sledge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

As every farm should be, if your avoiding housing that's a huge advantage. I wouldn't see much of an issue sourcing organic hay either, if you can't find any, you should be able to get a derogation to buy conventional.

I'm not familiar with crystalyx but if it's not certified organic you won't be able to use it.

Dispensations for mineral licks are matter of course for organic farms. A letter from the vet stating which minerals the ground in the area is deficient in will do.

The only thing organic schemes wont tolerate in licks (or any product) is GMOs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Visited his place doing the Organic Course. When I was young we used to mow three sections of bog rushes. Only a herd of dairy cows or finishing cattle would take a good amount of bedding. 3/4 round bales per milking cow, I think.

ha, that takes me back... Cutting fcuking 'litter'... :(

Making it into cocks and the fecking doctor flies biting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Who told ya? (Someone had to ask...)

sorry GLAS section

sonnybill wrote: »
    sorry GLAS section

Going by agriland today I see calls for GLAS extension.

Going by agriland today I see calls for GLAS extension.

Agriland like to make full articles from single quotes. I know it's free so they rely on clicks for advertising revenue but it can get overdone sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

On my bps application online the units of watercourse fencing was left at 0.

Is that standard or do I call them.

Probably call them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Danzy wrote: »
    On my bps application online the units of watercourse fencing was left at 0.

Is that standard or do I call them.

Probably call them either way.

What I do is put the number of units in the comments section at the end of the application just to be on the safe side.
    I do it for trad stone wall maintenance too.

Also on the glas nutrient declaration, that has to be updated but vant find where it is

Is it compulsory for all.

Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Danzy wrote: »
    Also on the glas nutrient declaration, that has to be updated but vant find where it is

Is it compulsory for all.

Tks

It's on the last page of this year's record book.

I was looking online.

I'd be looking along time.

Thanks Sami.

Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Finally got paid the balance of last year during the week.

Went ploughing the wild bird cover this year. Hadn’t done it since the first year but ground was rock hard. Ploughed during week and harrowed it today . Now I need to nick stones for next few days. The amount of ****ing rocks is unbelievable. I thought I had them all picked the first time I ploughed. Anyway will get it down before the rain next week if it ever comes.

The ground is unbelievable dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 realchewytiger

Hi lads need some advice before I contact dept of ag glas section. I'm in glas 3 I'm after loosing 6 ha of rented land I've had for the last 6 years on con acre agreement she wouldn't do long term lease the land in question has 2 Glas actions on it low input permanent pasture and riparian margin. The lady that owns the land has given the land to a nephew and he wants it back to farm himself this year only found all that out today even had it put in to my 2020 sfp application last month. Where do I stand now with Glas? I've 4 other measures with glas on home farm. Obviously have to amend my 2020 sfp now any advice would be grateful thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Hi lads need some advice before I contact dept of ag glas section. I'm in glas 3 I'm after loosing 6 ha of rented land I've had for the last 6 years on con acre agreement she wouldn't do long term lease the land in question has 2 Glas actions on it low input permanent pasture and riparian margin. The lady that owns the land has given the land to a nephew and he wants it back to farm himself this year only found all that out today even had it put in to my 2020 sfp application last month. Where do I stand now with Glas? I've 4 other measures with glas on home farm. Obviously have to amend my 2020 sfp now any advice would be grateful thanks

That is is very unfortunate and sorry to see it happen,especially in the last year. Myself I have started a new house in a glas section, mentioned it to planner to take it out of glas plan but he said to put it in the same as last 4 years. He said if I took it out now I'd lose the payment on the area removed for this year and they'd take back the payment for the last 4 years. Fingers crossed no inspection.
    You have added difficulty of sfp. Could you chance it, or did the nephew put in for it this year?

It was in the t&cs that any rented ground used for measures had to have a lease signed for the length of it.
    If you tell the dept you will have to hand back the portion of your glas payments for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Didn’t realise that the hay I will be making this year is called organic hay( only input is sweat ). Not on any Glas schemes but am in the process of restoring some meadows so this will be the first year of a cut of the wildflower rich hay. Do I just advertise it as organic on DoneDeal when the time comes or is there a list of local organic farmers that need it?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Didn’t realise that the hay I will be making this year is called organic hay( only input is sweat ). Not on any Glas schemes but am in the process of restoring some meadows so this will be the first year of a cut of the wildflower rich hay. Do I just advertise it as organic on DoneDeal when the time comes or is there a list of local organic farmers that need it?

If you're certified you can call it organic
    If you're not then ya can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ganmo wrote: »
    If you're certified you can call it organic
    If you're not then ya can't

Yep thought so. Will continue what I am doing for now and look into that in the future. Probably end up selling it to local horse folk and donate some to donkey rescue. . If I had horses I sure would be looking for the herb rich hay.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

TPF2012 wrote: »
    That is is very unfortunate and sorry to see it happen,especially in the last year. Myself I have started a new house in a glas section, mentioned it to planner to take it out of glas plan but he said to put it in the same as last 4 years. He said if I took it out now I'd lose the payment on the area removed for this year and they'd take back the payment for the last 4 years. Fingers crossed no inspection.

They'll catch it on the satellite no?

Having a 'claw back' situation is not good, I agree.

Advertisement