Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

How would people feel about maybe broadcasting clover seeds on LIPP ground after you are allowed to top it? Is this even allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Earnshaw wrote: »
    They'll catch it on the satellite no?

Having a 'claw back' situation is not good, I agree.

My thinking on satellite inspection is that they can only pick a number of areas a year and it's not a blanket coverage of the country but maybe that has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

TPF2012 wrote: »
    My thinking on satellite inspection is that they can only pick a number of areas a year and it's not a blanket coverage of the country but maybe that has changed?

I don't know, had just assumed the mapping software would pick up changes to features like new roadways etc.

For this reason have been nervous to make any changes to fields that are LIPP in Glas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

endainoz wrote: »
    How would people feel about maybe broadcasting clover seeds on LIPP ground after you are allowed to top it? Is this even allowed?

It isn't interfering with you diverse grass species, which is the purpose of the permanent pasture. As long as you don't do a major harrowing or something, can't see what the problem would be. If the ground was damp and roll it in or feed it to the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Went ploughing the wild bird cover this year. Hadn’t done it since the first year but ground was rock hard. Ploughed during week and harrowed it today . Now I need to nick stones for next few days. The amount of ****ing rocks is unbelievable. I thought I had them all picked the first time I ploughed. Anyway will get it down before the rain next week if it ever comes.

The ground is unbelievable dry.[/quote]

Load number 10. If I ever mention taking the plough out again lock me up.

• Advertisement

Load number 10. If I ever mention taking the plough out again lock me up.[/quote]

Pic this time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tileman wrote: »
    Load number 10. If I ever mention taking the plough out again lock me up.

Pic this time[/quote]

Good job
    They’d be great in a gap or around a drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Good job Tileman.

The field looks dry alright.

Pic this time

Good job
    They’d be great in a gap or around a drinker[/quote]

Yea has a spot to fill so saved me buying a load of full. Still more out there for next time the next 😬

Tileman wrote: »
    Went ploughing the wild bird cover this year. Hadn’t done it since the first year but ground was rock hard. Ploughed during week and harrowed it today . Now I need to nick stones for next few days. The amount of ****ing rocks is unbelievable. I thought I had them all picked the first time I ploughed. Anyway will get it down before the rain next week if it ever comes.

The ground is unbelievable dry.

Load number 10. If I ever mention taking the plough out again lock me up.[/QUOTE]

Good job. You should have left some and told anyone who asked that the Dept insisted on leaving perches for the birds in winter so that they didn't get their feet wet.

Since the contract for Glas 1 & 2 is up in Dec, not planning to but couldn't I leave cattle into WBC in Jan 2021?

• Advertisement

“Since the contract for Glas 1 & 2 is up in Dec, not planning to but couldn't I leave cattle into WBC in Jan 2021?[/quote]

Well the balance of 15% doesn’t get paid until April so if u got caught I’d say they would hold it back and perhaps more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I ran the angle grinder on the blades of the disc mower in preparation to go topping the LIPP on Wednesday.

A reminder for anyone with Traditional Hay Meadow's you can mow from Wednesday. If the weather is unsuitable for making hay then silage can be made but the grass must be turned twice before collecting/baling to allow the seeds to disperse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »
    I ran the angle grinder on the blades of the disc mower in preparation to go topping the LIPP on Wednesday.

A reminder for anyone with Traditional Hay Meadow's you can mow from Wednesday. If the weather is unsuitable for making hay then silage can be made but the grass must be turned twice before collecting/baling to allow the seeds to disperse.

I think it would make sense to push this date out to the 15th(as it was originally). A number of reasons for this, firstly alot more viable seeds produced by wild flowers by then and secondly, the weather is often better from the latter half of July then it is during the first half. Older farmers knew this back in the day which was why most hay was cut then over the bulk of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Base price wrote: »

We'll be lucky to get a couple of days to make silage at this rate never mind hay
    Weather very broken.
    :(

Looks a bit better, after Friday.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I think it would make sense to push this date out to the 15th(as it was originally). A number of reasons for this, firstly alot more viable seeds produced by wild flowers by then and secondly, the weather is often better from the latter half of July then it is during the first half. Older farmers knew this back in the day which was why most hay was cut then over the bulk of the country.
    Around here in Longford we would seldom get to save hay until mid-late July. August hay is more difficult to save due to morning and evening dew.
    I've seen yellow rattle in my place this year and I haven't seen it in years. That farm isn't in GLAS, it doesn't get artificial fertiliser but some years gets a few tankers of lagoon slurry. This Spring we got lime spread and other than that, my brother spot sprays ragwort and docks when they appear. I keep the hay for young calves.

Hope Organic Scheme will be reopened, esp given the EU focus on it.
    Can't why it wouldn't be a fit for you Base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Overheard a small bit of a conversation today in a shop, a farmer was saying he got a phone call telling him he cut a traditional hay meadow a few days early. he said the caller said it was satellite image picked it up. (Assuming it was a phone call from the Department of ag)

have heard talk of this satellite inspection in the past, wasn't sure if it was actually in practice yet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

ruwithme wrote: »
    Overheard a small bit of a conversation today in a shop, a farmer was saying he got a phone call telling him he cut a traditional hay meadow a few days early. he said the caller said it was satellite image picked it up. (Assuming it was a phone call from the Department of ag)

have heard talk of this satellite inspection in the past, wasn't sure if it was actually in practice yet though?
    satellite inspections are up and running for sure we had one last year and informed by letter that all was ok tg

why push the date back again when most people want to cut weeds before they flower and spread even more,if other people don’t want to do it till later that’s their choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

High bike wrote: »
    satellite inspections are up and running for sure we had one last year and informed by letter that all was ok tg

Wonder why there are no satellite inspections to check sheep on commonage ?

MIKEKC wrote: »
    dont know anything about that tbh,but as u say why wouldn’t there be

why push the date back again when most people want to cut weeds before they flower and spread even more,if other people don’t want to do it till later that’s their choice

Weeds?? I think you need to read up on the purpose of this measure

Weeds?? I think you need to read up on the purpose of this measure
    yes weeds thistles and rag worth maybe ur lucky enough not to have to deal with them but in not and will cut at the earliest opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

MIKEKC wrote: »

Is that a sheep or a rock?
    Hay john do you think that's a sheep or a rock?
    Ah **** I've lost count now!! :D

yes weeds thistles and rag worth maybe ur lucky enough not to have to deal with them but in not and will cut at the earliest opportunity

AFAIK you are allowed to weed-wipe thistles and ragwort in this scheme. The aim of the traditonal hay meadow measure is the increase the diversity of grass and herb species in the sward. Hence the delay in mowing so as these species(Timothy, Quaking grass, Plantain, Clovers etc.) can set seed, which was the point of my earler post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd be in no rush to be topping ragwort either, and wiping it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ganmo wrote: »
    Is that a sheep or a rock?
    Hay john do you think that's a sheep or a rock?
    Ah **** I've lost count now!! :D

Easy count when in most cases the answer is zero

AFAIK you are allowed to weed-wipe thistles and ragwort in this scheme. The aim of the traditonal hay meadow measure is the increase the diversity of grass and herb species in the sward. Hence the delay in mowing so as these species(Timothy, Quaking grass, Plantain, Clovers etc.) can set seed, which was the point of my earler post.
    You cannot weed wipe thistles, nettles, docks etc in either THM or LIPP. You are only allowed to weed wipe rushes in THM between the 15th March and after the meadow is mown after the 1st of July.

"Where present, rushes must be controlled either mechanically by weed wiping and/or by spot spraying. While weed wiping and/or spot spraying can take place between 15th March and when the meadow is mown annually, topping to control rushes cannot take place between these dates.

• Advertisement

i wasn’t referring to traditional hay meadows, i was talking about Lipp

Advertisement