Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

High bike wrote: »
    i wasn’t referring to traditional hay meadows, i was talking about Lipp

Your question is answered above, you can top the pastures now anyway. Thistles are grand to be topped now as they won't have gone to seed quite yet. Ragwort is best pulled, spot spraying them is asking for trouble unless you can leave the place idle for over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Topped the lipps here today twas great to get the thistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Cut out some THM this evening, hoping for a few nice days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Aravo wrote: »
    Cut out some THM this evening, hoping for a few nice days.

You hoping for Hay or Silage ?

There will be no hay. Will try and get it as dry as I can, will be keeping an eye on the weather. I'm ashamed to say it but the much maligned haybob in other threads will be coming out of hibernation. Keep it to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

There will be no hay. Will try and get it as dry as I can, will be keeping an eye on the weather. I'm ashamed to say it but the much maligned haybob in other threads will be coming out of hibernation. Keep it to yourself.

Lol. I just greased mine up there now in anticipation of mowing THM around dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Can u put slurry on a thm after it’s being cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Tileman wrote: »
    Can u put slurry on a thm after it’s being cut?
    Yes, although there is a restriction of 40kgs N per hectare of chemical nitrogen.

Baled this afternoon. Bales in and stacked. Got a nice wilt between Thur evening and Sat evening. Lovely day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Baled this afternoon. Bales in and stacked. Got a nice wilt between Thur evening and Sat evening. Lovely day today.

Well done. I did the same. No loss though to be finished with the traditional hay meadow.
    It really ties you down when it comes to weather.
    I'm going to try and avoid that in any future scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Alibaba wrote: »
    Well done. I did the same. No loss though to be finished with the traditional hay meadow.
    It really ties you down when it comes to weather.
    I'm going to try and avoid that in any future scheme.

Easy avoid it but nice to get the money cone December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ll miss it. Get €7k. Most of the work is not spreading too much artificial fertiliser and topping rushes in a mosaic pattern. What helped is the land is so wet I’d never be cutting silage off that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Overall though the Glas scheme was poorly designed. I think the bee sand never worked, for example. A good organic scheme and a good Reps should more than cover the loss. Hope there is some joined up thinking in the Dept and schemes don't distract fro m one another.
    Glas was designed without any consultation with the Organic section of the Dept in Wexford.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Water John wrote: »
    Overall though the Glas scheme was poorly designed. I think the bee sand never worked, for example. A good organic scheme and a good Reps should more than cover the loss. Hope there is some joined up thinking in the Dept and schemes don't distract fro m one another.
    Glas was designed without any consultation with the Organic section of the Dept in Wexford.

I think what killed off REPS was allowing N derogation and REPS. If there is a major recession now after Covid I can't see much money for organic food or a decent env. scheme. We really should be paid properly for carbon neutral or carbon sequestration farming too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Water John wrote: »

Will you be allowed be in both? Am I wrong in thinking you couldn't be in organic scheme and GLAS together? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Will you be allowed be in both? Am I wrong in thinking you couldn't be in organic scheme and GLAS together? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

I know a farmer in both at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

I thought the same only one scheme you can apply for not both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I'm in both, was already in GLAS 3 by the time I applied for the organic scheme. The whole farm holding is being converted to organic but the area for glas is separate with regard to payments. Ie: I can't get an organic payment on the land areas under GLAS like the 10 ha of LIPP or the WBC. That land is still organic, but I won't get paid for it while in GLAS. It still works out better with the GLAS payments anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I am looking for information on Glas and the Irish Grey Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mach Two wrote: »
    I am looking for information on Glas and the Irish Grey Partridge.
    The GLAS scheme is closed but you will find information on the grey partridge scheme in the link. It includes information on the measures taken in NCD and Co. Offaly - https://www.greypartridge.ie/?cat=18

• Advertisement

Any sign of it reopening in the future. What counties did it operate in. Was it successful? Any idea as to how many landowners participated in the scheme?

Don't think Glas will be repeated. What's coming instead will be a new REPS. Pilot for that next year. Why they need a pilot, I don't know. Glas likely to be extended for a year so farmers aren't, out of pocket.
    Both are national schemes. Glas was hit and miss, Reps better IWT.

Anyone any idea what counties were involved in the Grey Partridge scheme.

Any signs as to what will be involved in the new REPS scheme. The old REPS schemes were great schemes for rural Ireland. According to one economist didn't cost the state a single cent.

All we know is, biodiversity is the new word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Some things in GLAS were good, some were poorly thought out. Same with REPS, there were things which worked & others which were fecking useless.
    We didn't do the sand/bat/bird boxes, did anyone have success with those?

I really hope they look at this new scheme as a way of working with nature, instead of little add-ons here & there on the margins of a farm.

Think myself that wholecrops are a good idea if done correctly. Think crows and rats can be an issue.

How do food producers biodiversify.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Mach Two wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what counties were involved in the Grey Partridge scheme.

Any signs as to what will be involved in the new REPS scheme. The old REPS schemes were great schemes for rural Ireland. According to one economist didn't cost the state a single cent.

I am in Glas here myself, doing wbc and traditional meadow which I think are mixed in what they do for environment. My wbc is feeding a herd of deer all summer so not be much left for birds.
    Reps was before my time in farming on my own and I'm just wondering what was so good about the scheme, I hear farmers talk about it with great reverence and longing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I am in Glas here myself, doing wbc and traditional meadow which I think are mixed in what they do for environment. My wbc is feeding a herd of deer all summer so not be much left for birds.
    Reps was before my time in farming on my own and I'm just wondering what was so good about the scheme, I hear farmers talk about it with great reverence and longing.

About 5k more compared to Glas.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

blue5000 wrote: »
    About 5k more compared to Glas.

What measures and what environmental impacts did Reps bring about? Or was it seen as a good scheme purely from a financial viewpoint.

• Advertisement

Ah no, it got people into planting hedgerows and renewing old stone walls and tidying up the place. Many that could started a pond and set native tree species.

Advertisement