Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes walked every bit of it. Went through all my measures. Got a call on lunchtime and he was out the next morning.
    jaysus didn't think they'd be that particular about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

High bike wrote: »

Sure l suppose that's their job. If they weren't doing their job lads would be complaining too.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Alibaba

High bike wrote: »

Ya that's their job.

Once we do everything right there's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

Alibaba wrote: »
    Ya that's their job.

Once we do everything right there's nothing to worry about.
    pity the crowd in Portlaoise weren't as efficient about getting payments out on time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This evening OH and I walked through both areas of wbc that were sown last weekend. It seems that the flax (linseed) is striking better than the oat seed. We have had a severe problem with crows/jackdaws stealing the oat seeds.
    Question - what is the penalty vis a vie the proportion of oats V linseed established per hectare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭limo_100

Base price wrote: »
    This evening OH and I walked through both areas of wbc that were sown last weekend. It seems that the flax (linseed) is striking better than the oat seed. We have had a severe problem with crows/jackdaws stealing the oat seeds.
    Question - what is the penalty vis a vie the proportion of oats V linseed established per hectare?

I'm the exact same linseed absolutely flying oats only appearing here and there, Was thinking of going with 3bags of 18-6-12 to try and give it a boost. what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bigger seed, slower to germinate. Possibly planted deeper also.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

will the oats germinate if they are just put out with wagtail and not planted deeper.?
    Not toomany birds at seed yet. the odd few but no major problem wit them yet!!

With the rain the oats should be ok. Ideally, oats and linseed set separately. Oats first and lightly harrowed. Linseed follows and rolling should be sufficient.
    Same as undersowing, my recipie.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Water John wrote: »
    With the rain the oats should be ok. Ideally, oats and linseed set separately. Oats first and lightly harrowed. Linseed follows and rolling should be sufficient.
    Same as undersowing, my recipie.

Agree Water John. I just didnt have a harrow when sowing. Was just wondering if the Oats would be ok. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

I'm in glas 2 and the guy i was getting the bird boxes from last week said he's still getting loads of calls from glas 1 farmers looking for boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ormondeboy3

Lads, are we obliged to throw a bit of fertiliser out? As was mentioned before will be trying to keep inputs low for first year anyway and just wondering what Dept definition of "establishing" crop is?

Also have a few patching bits where crowd went to town. Any concerns with that or approaches? Was going to throw out an extra bit of mustard seed to close it in and fertilise that piece only?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

Does anyone know if you can buy just the linseed on its own, and if so here to get it? The contractor who sowed the seed must have callibrated the machine wrong and missed about half an acre. Was just going to throw out a bit by hand and chance it. got some oats seed off a tillage farmer, just need to find some linseed to mix in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can buy just the linseed on its own, and if so here to get it? The contractor who sowed the seed must have callibrated the machine wrong and missed about half an acre. Was just going to throw out a bit by hand and chance it. got some oats seed off a tillage farmer, just need to find some linseed to mix in

We bought the linseed on it's own- 10kg in Aurivo. Was very dear though!

Yeah, bought the linseed on its own. Difficult to get.
    I paid €107 for 25Kg. Goldcrop imported it.
    May be some one here has some left over for you.
    You need about 5Kg.

Can you swap a LIPP parcel for another parcel/s of the same acreage either this year or next without penalties.

Honest answer is I don't know, but I know I cannot change the land allocated to bird cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

Cheers, Jesus it's dear enough. Could I chance just skipping it for the bit he missed? Just say it didn't take of something if we get an inspection. Or could we be penalised if it all doesn't have the linseed? It'd only a strip up the side

• Advertisement

Yeah, bought the linseed on its own. Difficult to get.
    I paid €107 for 25Kg. Goldcrop imported it.
    May be some one here has some left over for you.
    You need about 5Kg.
    What!
    I don't have the figures to hand but I can assure we didn't pay near that for the linseed. In fact we bought nearly twice as much linseed than required - bought and spread 75 kgs (3 bags)

Would be interested to know how much I was done for, Base.
    I think you can use mustard seed instead. Know nothing about it.

Honest answer is I don't know, but I know I cannot change the land allocated to bird cover.
    I've no problem with the WBC areas other than the fact that the crows/jackdaws stole a lot of the oat seed :eek: but the Linseed is doing well. With the way cattle prices are and the possibility of Brexit we reduced the number of stock and therefore do not have older animals to graze plus the fact that there has been exceptional growth in the last 5 weeks. So we have lots of grass that some of it got too strong for our young stock to eat it and we cannot mow it for hay/haylage :(

The fecking crows are going to eat the oats either now or in the fall. Also draws rats. I have no problem with linseed or a mix of such seeds. Not convinced about the oats.
    Sorry cannot help on the grass question.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Base price wrote: »
    Can you swap a LIPP parcel for another parcel/s of the same acreage either this year or next without penalties.

No I'm afraid you can't, if you can make do with it until next year and then reduce the area on BPS you will still get paid on area left in

• Registered Users Posts: 3 damobrady31

no word of the overdue glas payments that were due in may. also what about the3% due from the single farm payment or what ever it's called now . has the dept ran out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-hopes-there-wont-be-a-repeat-of-widespread-payment-delays-next-year/

At least they are admitting there is a problem getting payments out and have hired some extra staff.
    The glas payment due in may isn't going to be very big anyway.
    The main payment due at year end or bfp anc would be more important to get paid on time.
    I often think it is irresponsible journalism to be printing the dates payment is due for farmers beforehand as farmers in turn are telling creditors that they will be paid on that date leaving them in an embarrassing situation when the due date passed and no funds to pay.
    I would much rather be reading that payment was due last month and no one knows when the farmer's will get it than payment will be made next week and you end up months later still waiting with no clue of a payment date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

djmc wrote: »
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-hopes-there-wont-be-a-repeat-of-widespread-payment-delays-next-year/

At least they are admitting there is a problem getting payments out and have hired some extra staff.
    The glas payment due in may isn't going to be very big anyway.
    The main payment due at year end or bfp anc would be more important to get paid on time.
    I often think it is irresponsible journalism to be printing the dates payment is due for farmers beforehand as farmers in turn are telling creditors that they will be paid on that date leaving them in an embarrassing situation when the due date passed and no funds to pay.
    I would much rather be reading that payment was due last month and no one knows when the farmer's will get it than payment will be made next week and you end up months later still waiting with no clue of a payment date.

I'm not sure what not publicising payment dates would do. They would still have to tell the farmer when to expect their payments and the amount of reps that are part timers they'd be told the same as everybody else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Payment dates is one thing but headlines farmers will be paid in the next few weeks when it doesn't happen causes problems.
    An example is tams approval due by December
    Then march headlines that approvals were going out.
    Got bank loan to start work paying interest for another 4 months before getting approval.
    It usually headlines that lead you to believe that payments were going out at the time of printing that I have a problem with.
    I would rather see a deadline date that won't be missed than a load of different due dates and none of them kept.
    It makes you look like a messer if you are relying on that money for creditors or repayments and also adds extra financial stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

Does anyone know when the next tranche of GLAS is due to open? I heard somewhere that it could be later in the year but is there an exact date announced?

Advertisement