Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

TheClubMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the next tranche of GLAS is due to open? I heard somewhere that it could be later in the year but is there an exact date announced?

I presume it'll be September October and in early November/start of December

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

When can I top my LIPP Parcels.... is it the 1st of July or Later?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Base price

nealger wrote: »
    When can I top my LIPP Parcels.... is it the 1st of July or Later?
    From the 15th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

no word of the overdue glas payments that were due in may. also what about the3% due from the single farm payment or what ever it's called now . has the dept ran out of money.
    its showing in my agfood account today so I presume will be in the bank in a few days

High bike wrote: »
    its showing in my agfood account today so I presume will be in the bank in a few days
    Balance of BPS payment is showing on ours but no mention of GLAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭High bike

Base price wrote: »
    Balance of BPS payment is showing on ours but no mention of GLAS.
    sorry mine is BPS balance no Glas,any idea when that's due?

High bike wrote: »
    sorry mine is BPS balance no Glas,any idea when that's due?
    I read somewhere on F&F that the next Glas (Tranche 1) payment was due in May - last month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

need to buy bird /bat boxes, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

Have a look on DoneDeal. There's plenty of different lads selling them to GLAS participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

jfh wrote: »

Our local men's shed and tys made and sold them. Have you any of these in your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭50HX

if you don't have time to make it yourself buy the material and pay someone to make them

once they one cut to size you'd fly through them

how they justify 8-12 euro per box on DD is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Our local men's shed and tys made and sold them. Have you any of these in your area?

None that I know off, I see my local coop has a guy selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Are lads using nails or screws too put these bird/bat boxs up with on the tree?also its suggested the tree should be marked so the better paid lad can know where the box is.any suggestions for marking?

Nobbies wrote: »
    Are lads using nails or screws too put these bird/bat boxs up with on the tree?also its suggested the tree should be marked so the better paid lad can know where the box is.any suggestions for marking?

i used screws to fix onto the tree

anything at all will do to mark the tree - nail a bit of a lat, cut up a fertilizer bag and tie on somewhere

doesn't specify so anything that will identify it as a tree with a box if you stand back and look at a group of them together

If it's only suggested then I wouldn't bother. The more time he's walking around with his head stuck up every tree means less time looking for other problems. weren't they marked on a map in the application anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    If it's only suggested then I wouldn't bother. The more time he's walking around with his head stuck up every tree means less time looking for other problems. weren't they marked on a map in the application anyway?

from the posts on here from the guys that have gotten inspections, the inspectors seem to be taking the suggestions as requirements.

from the posts on here from the guys that have gotten inspections, the inspectors seem to be taking the suggestions as requirements.

Mark away mad so. I won't be bothering with that. Sure I can show him anyway.
    I've much better things to be spending my time on.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Mark away mad so. I won't be bothering with that. Sure I can show him anyway.
    I've much better things to be spending my time on.

Stand under tree with phone and get get gps coordinates and if asked where boxes are hand them gps coords should keep them amused for a while.

None that I know off, I see my local coop has a guy selling them
    Make sure that the bat boxes you make/buy have the slits on them for the bats to crawl up. I don't know the requirement for bird boxes. There is a diagram on how to make the bat boxes on the Glas book.
    ganmo wrote: »
    I have a fencing post along the hedge in front of each tree - pretty simular to the other 30 odd fencing posts along the hedge ;) We put 4 boxes on one tree and 5 on the other. The requirements were a minimum of 3 boxes per tree facing different directions. I chose two trees with no ivy and good spacing between the branches so that we didn't have to cut any branches on the trees.

i thought it was a max of 3 per post/tree??

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    i thought it was a max of 3 per post/tree??
    The wording was "at least 3 boxes per tree/post"

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

it says in the book at least three boxes per tree or post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Put the boxes on oak trees then
    "Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree'
    and you can point them out to inspector while singing the song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

These Traditional Hay Meadows are going to be traditional dung heaps now with the weather we are getting, not really worth baling up as Silage either as the quality is rubbish at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭limo_100

The Cuban wrote: »
    These Traditional Hay Meadows are going to be traditional dung heaps now with the weather we are getting, not really worth baling up as Silage either as the quality is rubbish at this stage

Mine are good quality enough hoping to get them into baled silage next week, I didnt put out the fertilizer until the 20 of may so it wouldn't be growing as long and wouldn't all shoot and collapse before july. Ours has lots of red and white clover in it should make good enough for the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 21,311 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That sounds good Limo. It needs a different regime than we have got used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Kale starting to come on in the WBC parcel. Have a lot of grass coming through as well.
    This pic is where I made a balls of the sowing and let out the entire bag in a few yards.

This is where I got it right (I think) and mixed the kale with a bag of nitrogen.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Kale starting to come on in the WBC parcel. Have a lot of grass coming through as well.
    This pic is where I made a balls of the sowing and let out the entire bag in a few yards.
    I don't know much about kale other than seeing it been grazed but I assume that it will smother out the grass as it gets stronger.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I don't know much about kale other than seeing it been grazed but I assume that it will smother out the grass as it gets stronger.

That's what I'm assuming too. Was going to put round up on it as well but then I thought what is the point of killing grass in a non commercial crop.

Advertisement