Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

trixychic wrote: »
    Read through some more there. (It has me in stitches!!!!) St Patrick's day this yr was a miracle!!!! Gorgeous weather all round....

But I now realise what you mean when you say "a whole sunny day" is a day in which when you wake in the morning till you go to sleep in the night that there is not a cloud in the sky, no overcast bits.... I am living here since birth im 1990.... I remember very very very few of these days. In total. No guarantee you'll get more than one of these a yr... if your lucky.

it is funny how you say that and then other people say you'll get much more in summer... I don't know who to believe anymore

either way, it is depressing news for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sorry, but totally sunny days are rare in Ireland. Most years you'd get only a few days like this and as another said once a decade or so a hot summer. East coast is a bit drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness coming from Malaga, the warmest city in Europe which is also one of the driest and sunniest, the Irish weather was always going to be a major challenge.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sorry, but totally sunny days are rare in Ireland. Most years you'd get only a few days like this and as another said once a decade or so a hot summer. East coast is a bit drier.

that is ok, it is what it is. I just worry about my kids you know. I don't want them to look all indoor-like and pasty. I have a new baby on the way as well and I worry that he is ok because since conceived 6 months ago has had such a little bit of sunshine.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In fairness coming from Malaga, the warmest city in Europe which is also one of the driest and sunniest, the Irish weather was always going to be a major challenge.

yeah, they are two extremes aren't they.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

armabelle wrote: »
    I don't want them to look all indoor-like and pasty.

:eek::p The country/weather is not that bad!

I'm pretty sure they may be able to get outside at some point during the Summer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ...Summer.

Ahhh...Summer...just thinking about it.

Summer and Christmas Day, are my two favorite days of the year. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

that is ok, it is what it is. I just worry about my kids you know. I don't want them to look all indoor-like and pasty. I have a new baby on the way as well and I worry that he is ok because since conceived 6 months ago has had such a little bit of sunshine.

While you may not get hours upon hours of uninterrupted sunshine, the kids can still get out plenty as long as they're ready to head out once the rain stops. They can just duck under a tree if it starts up again.

My Irish childhood summers were spent outdoors pretty much all day, and I'm young enough to have grown up with games consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

hardCopy wrote: »
    They can just duck under a tree if it starts up again.

My Irish childhood summers were spent outdoors pretty much all day, and I'm young enough to have grown up with games consoles.

My favourite part of summer was duckin in under somewhere n the showers. It was so exilerating. We were NEVER inside during the summer and providing it wasn't raining or hailing we were still out as kids.

Can't say the same for when I was a teenager though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

no offense but anyone who refers to galway as one of the best cities in the world is not going to be too hard to please when it comes to weather or anything else

weather reports will work off averages in a small country like ireland , in reality there is a very large difference between the climate of west waterford and west galway

I have lived & worked throughout Europe. Galway is very special. Local people never appreciate what they have. Maybe you would prefer Bergen in Norway.

What's the best time to travel to Bergen in Norway? Here are some facts:
    A lot of rain (rainy season) falls in the months: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
    :pac:

• Advertisement

sumtings wrote: »
    The rainfall radar is a must, it has transformed my outdoor experience; that and the cloud cover satellite images, along with the short range forecasts mean that if you're lucky enough not to have to be somewhere at a particular time, you can really make the best of what Ireland has to offer. Days like today and Desmond do make it difficult, and living on the east coast is definitely a plus, but some of us here in the West aren't making it up when we say we can enjoy what's thrown at us. That said I'm not stupid, more sun would be lovely.

I find the ME short range forecast to be hopeless but this one seems pretty good. It projects the radar forward for up to three hours.

http://beta.meteoradar.co.uk/expected-rainfall

The Meteox radar app is very good too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TMC.MeteoRadarCoUk&hl=en-GB

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ahhh...Summer...just thinking about it.

Summer and Christmas Day, are my two favorite days of the year. :p

This would have been very funny had I not almost cried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 heavy_sleeper

saabsaab wrote: »

the east coast is far drier relative to the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 heavy_sleeper

Carnacalla wrote: »

warmest city in europe is seville

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Discodog wrote: »
    I find the ME short range forecast to be hopeless but this one seems pretty good. It projects the radar forward for up to three hours.

I use the Netweather 500m one, that beta.meteoradar.co.uk is a good use of technology

sumtings wrote: »
    I use the Netweather 500m one, that beta.meteoradar.co.uk is a good use of technology

This morning the ME short range showed a series of blobs that bore no relationship with the radar.

The Meteox app & Arcus both said that the rain would stop at 11:30am & they were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

this is the pinnacle of depressing news for me, going to have to get permit to work remotely or resign pretty soon :( sad because I do like Ireland otherwise

Google not reach South Africa yet. :D

the east coast is far drier relative to the west

relative yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Horrible wet day today. Hope it improves during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Horrible wet day today. Hope it improves during the week.

Oh it will! (but not any warmer :(, in fact even colder...) until next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The sooner someone sticks an additional artificial reflective sun-like structure(s) and points it towards the beaches from up there the better.

The Ruskies who also suffer from general weather greyness, have been banging on about this for ages. Now a crowdfunding mission to send up and unravel some thin reflective polymer(graphine?). It might also need coastal organite points to clear up the clouds a little beforehand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Discodog wrote: »

Looks like a streamer. Of the type we like in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The sooner someone sticks an additional artificial reflective sun-like structure(s) and points it towards the beaches from up there the better.

The Ruskies who also suffer from general weather greyness, have been banging on about this for ages. Now a crowdfunding mission to send up and unravel some thin reflective polymer(graphine?). It might also need coastal organite points to clear up the clouds a little beforehand though.

Those tabloid papers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

After this week, I think we'd have to day yes to this thread.

MJohnston wrote: »

Agreed. Its been GORGEOUS this wk. Kids have been out every day. I feel free again. Ha. Love the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well the temperatures being what they are I can't quite call it summer yet, hopefully we'll get some nice June weather this year though!

Well my boys and I were out in t-shirts... so I'm happy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

trixychic wrote: »
    Agreed. Its been GORGEOUS this wk. Kids have been out every day. I feel free again. Ha. Love the summer.

Just shows you how weather on our small island differs so much from place to place.

Just shows you how weather on our small island differs so much from place to place.

Did you not have nice weather??? I'm in Carlow.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Wednesday I think, that day showed up as a 100% solar export for me (during daylight hours) a perfect sine wave of solar generated electricity. :D

Advertisement