Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there ever a whole sunny day in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

armabelle wrote: »
    Ok well that is what I am hoping for in summer. Actually am hoping for more than one day of sunshine a week :)

I did believe that Ireland was a country with generally wet weather but I didn't expect to have 2 days of whole sunshine in nearly 3 and a half months. Wikipedia shows rainfall and general temperatures and doesn't really tell you what my experiences have been thus far. Also, very wet weather for me is weather where you only get one or two days of sunshine a week. 1 or two days of whole sunshine in 3 - 4 months is a whole other level.

Out of interest, in which other important world cities is the weather this bad, or worse?

Yeah how'd you feel about staying in Ireland now? :rolleyes:;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

34CA40BB00000578-0-image-a-81_1464691937563.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no rain this week....sun is so nice!

it does actually happen from time to time here so soak it up and enjoy it. looks like it ll start to break down early next week so make the best of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    it does actually happen from time to time here so soak it up and enjoy it. looks like it ll start to break down early next week so make the best of it

So that gives another 6-8 days of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So that gives another 6-8 days of this!

hopefully, but sure who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah how'd you feel about staying in Ireland now? :rolleyes:;):D

This sun is really getting a bit much now... seriously we need some rain people!:D

just kidding, loving this weather

I was hoping that this is rather normal for this time of year and that we can expect much more weeks of sunshine such as this one over the summer. I was hoping.....

This sun is really getting a bit much now... seriously we need some rain people!:D

just kidding, loving this weather

I was hoping that this is rather normal for this time of year and that we can expect much more weeks of sunshine such as this one over the summer. I was hoping.....

No this is not even near "normal". This is a very rare event and even more rare considering the fact that England is very cool and wet whilst we're warm and sunny. So consider yourself lucky! However, many people (including myself and MT Cranium) are predicting this to be a good Summer.

I've got some bad news for you, the weather looks like breaking down next week with some showers at times. However, all the while, it will be warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

I've got some bad news for you, the weather looks like breaking down next week with some showers at times. However, all the while, it will be warm!

A few showers or thunderstorms I can deal with. Yes, the main thing is it will remain warm :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw-69aR-fKV3Co2cfc1ZgcMJGHdu_rxth0n-1HEytKI9sxCiP-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It is not to often that we have been treated to several days of almost wall to wall sunshine in the Limerick area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

This weather is defo a rareity. It's gorgeous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sat outside having lunch with the family in laragh today. Was glad of the big umbrella's.:)

Can we have a summer of this please MT?;)

Sat outside having lunch with the family in laragh today. Was glad of the big umbrella's.:)

Can we have a summer of this please MT?;)

We're all expecting a better than normal Summer Yaretzi Massive Beachcomber (including me - I made the predictions back in December and I haven't changed them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Well that run of weather was amazing. Back to the typical Irish summer now. I'm delighted cause i actually have tan lines. Who'd have figured!!

Feeling good.

trixychic wrote: »
    Well that run of weather was amazing. Back to the typical Irish summer now. I'm delighted cause i actually have tan lines. Who'd have figured!!

Feeling good.

you can't be serious... is this really typical summer weather in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, for the past 10 or so years. The last long good summers were 2006 and 2007, then before that 1995. Generally summer now last 2 weeks sometime between April and July and you might get a good week in September or October. That's about it.

The weather has got worse since I can remember growing up. It's more cloudier and far more rain than ever year on year.

Winters have got milder though.

Yep, for the past 10 or so years. The last long good summers were 2006 and 2007, then before that 1995.

The weather has got worse since I can remember growing up. It's more cloudier and far more rain than ever year on year.

Winters have got milder though.

2007? Bro what the hell :pac::pac::pac::pac:. 2007 was godawful. Plus have you forgotten about 2013.

Yes but it's still 10x better than the weather we recorded in July and second half of August last year. If you were here in Summer 2015, you would leave straight away LOL.

trixychic wrote: »

Feeling good.

well I have heard mixed things... some people say what you say then others say that it does rain a lot but you do get nice weather too. I am giving it a test run this year. If it really is like this then as much as we like Ireland, it just isn't possible to live here. Sunshine is everything to us and it keeps us healthy and smiling so we can't live without it.

2007? Bro what the hell :pac::pac::pac::pac:. 2007 was godawful. Plus have you forgotten about 2013.

I my experience anyway 2007 was good. The summer of 2013 I worked constant 12 hour night shifts with maybe one day off a week so I saw none of it.

• Advertisement

well I have heard mixed things... some people say what you say then others say that it does rain a lot but you do get nice weather too. I am giving it a test run this year. If it really is like this then as much as we like Ireland, it just isn't possible to live here. Sunshine is everything to us and it keeps us healthy and smiling so we can't live without it.

Ireland is the last country on earth to go to for sunshine. That's why we drink so much to get over the depression.:D

That's why we are all pasty white and turn into lobsters when we go to another country, our skin is not used to any form of sunshine.

I my experience anyway 2007 was good. The summer of 2013 I worked constant 12 hour night shifts with maybe one day off a week so I saw none of it.

I don't see where you're getting 2007 was good from haha. It was the worst of the summers from 2007-12 in Dublin to say the least. It is still to this day, Casement Aerodrome's wettest Summer on record.

Ireland is the last country on earth to go to for sunshine. That's why we drink so much to get over the depression.:D

That's why we are all pasty white and turn into lobsters when we go to another country, our skin is not used to any form of sunshine.

Yes but your genetics have come to accept their situation... mine have not and I need more sunshine than an Irish person does. Similarly, I will need more exposure to sunlight to maintain my levels before a couple of generations down the line my great grandchildren become pasty too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

doolox wrote: »
    Irelands climate is similar to the US northwest coast, Washington State and Oregan, dominated by rain.

Maybe a tiny bit similar. I'm in Seattle in Western Washington. Its similar in terms of winter temperatures but the summers are far far more reliable, warmer and dry.

Yearly rainfall is about 36 inches. During July, August and September there's usually about 3-4 days of rain.

Humidity overall is far lower than Ireland too.

Yeah there were a lot of days like this last year (May-September I'm talking about, not just the Summer):

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Maybe a tiny bit similar. I'm in Seattle in Western Washington. Its similar in terms of winter temperatures but the summers are far far more reliable, warmer and dry.

Yearly rainfall is about 36 inches. During July, August and September there's usually about 3-4 days of rain.

Humidity overall is far lower than Ireland too.

Yes like in July they average a monthly sunshine total of over 300 hours of sunshine. Ireland's highest all-time sunshine total was 308 hours in July 1955 for crying out loud. It takes like a couple of decades to get a month like July 1955 whilst in the Washington state, they have AVERAGE July sunshine totals of over 300 hours of sunshine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If it really is like this then as much as we like Ireland, it just isn't possible to live here. Sunshine is everything to us and it keeps us healthy and smiling so we can't live without it.

You moved to a small island in the north Atlantic and didnt do any research on the weather???

You can easily google weather stats. Where did you move from?

The Faroe Islands is even worse for sunshine.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You moved to a small island in the north Atlantic and didnt do any research on the weather???

You can easily google weather stats. Where did you move from?

We did do research on the weather. We have friends that have come and gone because of the weather.

We moved from Spain but we are not from Spain. We were just living there. We new it was going to be rainy but we didn't know how rainy/cloudy so decided to give it a go as the other incentives to come over were really good. If we leave in a year because of the weather, no harm done. Still can say I enjoyed the experience so no regret. It would be a pity because we like Ireland otherwise you know?

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Ha, did you do much research before you arrived? Vitamin D deficiency is a common issue among the Irish due to the lack of sun.

Yes we did... you don't have to do much research about the weather in Ireland. Ask anyone and they will be able tell you that it rains a lot in Ireland no matter where they are from. It is common knowledge.

I didn't know about the VitD deficiency until living here as I read some stuff about it and was concerned about my kids.

Advertisement