Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Castletroy

• 06-04-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking at buying a house in the castletroy area. We are looking at houses in Woodhaven, Glanntan and Caisleann na hAbhann.

I've lived in Castletroy before but not in any of these estates. Does anyone have any insight as to what they are like and which would be the nicest one to live in?

Thanks in advance,
    Bener.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Castletroy is a good middle class area.

The important thing if it's a family home and you are buying is to make sure they're aren't too many student houses around.

I've friends living in glantan and they are really happy there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭goochy

Some areas are full of rented houses and you can tell not well kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I lived in Glanntan for a couple of years and was predominantly renters. Enjoyed living there but as Goochy mentioned, not all of the houses/areas were kept that well. Most estates end up being renters rather than owners in the end. Would worry about the amount of students Woodhaven might have. Don't know much about Caisleann na hAbhann. Probably mostly professionals from Northern Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Castletroy is a lovely place to live but you need to be careful. There are some terrible parts of Caisleán na hAbhann so be very, very careful. I know someone who bought a house there and who, upon opening her front door to go to work one morning, saw one man taking a **** in his front garden and another going through it with a stick. Obviously something to do with drugs.

Evanwood is a nice estate, with new builds starting at 200k there. That's as good a price as you'll get for a new build anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Castletroy is a lovely place to live but you need to be careful. There are some terrible parts of Caisleán na hAbhann so be very, very careful. I know someone who bought a house there and who, upon opening her front door to go to work one morning, saw one man taking a **** in his front garden and another going through it with a stick. Obviously something to do with drugs.

Evanwood is a nice estate, with new builds starting at 200k there. That's as good a price as you'll get for a new build anywhere really.

Hahaha oh dear. Working your arse off to pay a mortgage and Johnny Dumpinthegarden is moved in next door funded by your tax. Good times, good times.

Never had that particular experience but had a few neighbours over the years that were probably only 2 steps away from it yet. Robbing thieving shouting fighting assault. Very hard to find an estate with "starter" homes that is immune to this craic. Gotta pity people who camped out back in the day to buy cardboard boxes off plans for top dollar, then had a circus moved in next door to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Wouldn't be a huge fan of Castletroy myself. There's been some awful developments there in the last 10 or 15 years and these will degrade quickly over time. If you're working out there it makes sense to live somewhere near, but otherwise I don't see the attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

the annacotty area of castletroy is nice

Hahaha oh dear. Working your arse off to pay a mortgage and Johnny Dumpinthegarden is moved in next door funded by your tax. Good times, good times.

Never had that particular experience but had a few neighbours over the years that were probably only 2 steps away from it yet. Robbing thieving shouting fighting assault. Very hard to find an estate with "starter" homes that is immune to this craic. Gotta pity people who camped out back in the day to buy cardboard boxes off plans for top dollar, then had a circus moved in next door to them.

That's terrible. What estate was that in? To be fair, Evanwood is very nice at the moment but it's hard to know how it will turn out ultimately given how early its stages are. I'd be telling anyone to buy in Kylemore if they could afford it, lovely estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bener

thanks for all replies folks

Does anyone know anything about Cairnsfort on the Golf Links Rd?

Cheers,
    Bener.

bener wrote: »
    thanks for all replies folks

Does anyone know anything about Cairnsfort on the Golf Links Rd?

Cheers,
    Bener.

gold links road monaleen/castletroy is very posh. very affluent

• Advertisement

Cairnsfort is decent, friends of mine were renting there a couple of years back. Think it's an unfinished estate is the only thing? The house they were in was quite nice anyway. As previously mentioned, Golf Links Rd is a very nice part of Castletroy.

Nice estate. A friend of mine tried to buy there but solicitor wouldn't give it the ok because of mapping issues. Heard it stopped a few sales there

What do you mean by mapping issues Paulers? Buying elsewhere at the moment and would be curious to hear.

Differences between deed map, land registry and actual position of the boundaries. For example, your garden wall might in fact be going through your neighbours land. I'm sure it can be resolved but solicitors and banks seem to take big issue with it. Suppose there's nothing to stop the neighbours from taking action to claim their land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Patww79 wrote: »
    It was til they put that Mr. Price in the middle of it.

Annacotty is a planning disaster long before Mr Price. Limerick County Council should never have allowed a quiet village to be swallowed up by large housing estates. It has completely lost its identity as a seperate settlement.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

hows mr price doing? any time i went in it was near empty.

Strange shop that Mr Price. Sells all sorts and in really weird quantities too. Ariel laundry tablets in boxes of 7 tablets. You think it's cheap until you get home and realize the box the box you have is 3 times bigger!

paulers06 wrote: »
    Strange shop that Mr Price. Sells all sorts and in really weird quantities too. Ariel laundry tablets in boxes of 7 tablets. You think it's cheap until you get home and realize the box the box you have is 3 times bigger!

you have to be careful alright. they are saying everything is cheaper than the rest, but ive seen things that are the same or even dearer.

paulers06 wrote: »
    Differences between deed map, land registry and actual position of the boundaries. For example, your garden wall might in fact be going through your neighbours land. I'm sure it can be resolved but solicitors and banks seem to take big issue with it. Suppose there's nothing to stop the neighbours from taking action to claim their land.

I see, it must be quite the sickener for a sale to fall through over something as seemingly trivial as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

I've lived in Woodhaven for last 8 years, really like it. Nice neighbours, all the houses around us are owner occupied bar one that's rented. It's mainly families, I don't know of any students in any of the houses around us.

Would just like to amend my previous post about the gate lodges in Clanwilliam Square going to auction, I've been informed that may have been a load of spoof from a friend of mine who has a tendency to spoof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

shoppergal wrote: »
    I've lived in Woodhaven for last 8 years, really like it. Nice neighbours, all the houses around us are owner occupied bar one that's rented. It's mainly families, I don't know of any students in any of the houses around us.

The seem the best value for money out in Castletroy at the min.

Kylemore and Bloomfield are nice but too expensive and Glantann from what I've heard is very hit and miss. Then you have the newer estates Evanwood and Cairnsfort which are bit far out and no real services apart from a pub. Plus all those listed are a good 30k more at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jenb550

Does anyone know more about the newer phase of caislean? My fiancé and I have viewed the show house and have put our names down for the next development. We will have to pay a deposit within the next month but it's refundable if we decide to pull out. He's in the university and I'm in the hospital so location wise it is ideal but I did notice some of the estate doesn't look too hot. Then again, I suppose you'd get that anywhere...

jenb550 wrote: »
    Does anyone know more about the newer phase of caislean? My fiancé and I have viewed the show house and have put our names down for the next development. We will have to pay a deposit within the next month but it's refundable if we decide to pull out. He's in the university and I'm in the hospital so location wise it is ideal but I did notice some of the estate doesn't look too hot. Then again, I suppose you'd get that anywhere...

You've obviously seen the new phase which are, from what I've heard, lovely houses. However I would draw your attention back to a previous post in this thread where I recalled a friend of mine's brother who opened his front door one morning to find a guy taking a **** in his front garden, with another guy going through it with a stick.

Was the new phase right next to some of the dodgier spots or is it a bit away? Certain parts of the estate are bad news, I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I wouldn't buy a house there, houses are absolute ****e, my friend bought one in the first phase off the plans and has had nothing but trouble between structural problems, plumbing problems and all sorts of bits that needed redoing and cost her a fortune. The pipes use that click together thing and they eventually come lose and start leaking, the boiler needed replacing after only a few years. It's just one thing after another from the get go. A real shame as they look beautiful.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    You've obviously seen the new phase which are, from what I've heard, lovely houses. However I would draw your attention back to a previous post in this thread where I recalled a friend of mine's brother who opened his front door one morning to find a guy taking a **** in his front garden, with another guy going through it with a stick.

Was the new phase right next to some of the dodgier spots or is it a bit away? Certain parts of the estate are bad news, I know that much.

Yeah I've been to the show house quite a bit now trying to spend as much time in the actual house and around the estate as I can. I often drive up after work too and sit in the car outside like an eejit! I'm sure people think I'm casing the estate.

That story is awful alright but again, I can't help but think that's going to happen in any area. Not exactly that since his story is quite extreme but there will be drugs and bad news everywhere.

The new phase is quite a bit away from the first one. The ones we have our name down for are due to be finished in December and the rest of that phase sometime in February. I'm attracted to the fact that the house would be facing a green and the green will have a playground. I have thought about driving up and speaking to some of the people who moved in a few weeks ago but don't want to seem a bit like a stalker. Then again, it'll be our home if we do decide to go for it.

I wouldn't buy a house there, houses are absolute ****e, my friend bought one in the first phase off the plans and has had nothing but trouble between structural problems, plumbing problems and all sorts of bits that needed redoing and cost her a fortune. The pipes use that click together thing and they eventually come lose and start leaking, the boiler needed replacing after only a few years. It's just one thing after another from the get go. A real shame as they look beautiful.

I've heard that about the first phase alright, a friend of mine has one that was built in 2012 and was worried about the first phase issues but has been fine so far. She did advise us to get soundproofed walls and to make sure the floorboards were secure as they did creak a lot. I queried the soundproofing with the estate agent before she advised it and he said that was an issue with the previous houses and they've done a lot to eliminate it. Apparently the sitting room and two of the bedrooms lose a bit of space in the newer phases as they've stepped up the soundproofing between the houses.

I never asked about the plumbing. I'll definitely put it on my list of queries. Did your friend have the house surveyed before moving in? Obviously the thing isn't built yet but were researching independent surveyors/assessors on top of the bank required ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I never asked about the plumbing. I'll definitely put it on my list of queries. Did your friend have the house surveyed before moving in? Obviously the thing isn't built yet but were researching independent surveyors/assessors on top of the bank required ones.

She did get a surveyor in and he cleared it all but I don't know what they look for. When we bought it was my husbands cousin done our house and he pulled the place apart before he'd clear it.

Those pipes are standard now in houses - they have them in Rosmor and that estate up in Raheen, can't think of the name of it, aswell. They are a nightmare for house owners.

The floor boards might be because of the ground underneath, my friend put in her own floors and it took bags and bags of filler to level the ground as it was very uneven.

Also, be aware, the area is used every year once or twice a year for a funfair and the place is just chaos for the time it's on.

Also, personal opinion here and you can ignore it but make sure whatever house you get is on a hill not down as that area is all springs and prone to flooding during the winter (about twenty odd years ago it used to all flood every year and swans swam around in it), I heard rumours of water and sewerage coming back up the pipes in the bad weather. yuck.

• Advertisement

The new phase is quite a bit away from the first one. The ones we have our name down for are due to be finished in December and the rest of that phase sometime in February. I'm attracted to the fact that the house would be facing a green and the green will have a playground. I have thought about driving up and speaking to some of the people who moved in a few weeks ago but don't want to seem a bit like a stalker. Then again, it'll be our home if we do decide to go for it.

Don't ever feel like a stalker for doing that. I'm buying at the moment and did this several times in different places. People are very happy to tell you their experiences and to me, it would seem like a minimum bit of research to do before committing to something as major as buying a home.

Have you looked at the plans for the new phase in Bloomfield? The houses look lovely and are pretty competitively priced as well.

Advertisement