Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Castletroy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Those pipes are standard now in houses - they have them in Rosmor and that estate up in Raheen, can't think of the name of it, aswell. They are a nightmare for house owners.

The floor boards might be because of the ground underneath, my friend put in her own floors and it took bags and bags of filler to level the ground as it was very uneven.
    The Celtic Crapbox I lived in for a while (fr russell road) had very very very creaky floors because the starved mangey yoke that built them saved a few joists per house. That's my theory anyway.

I think "topping up" the heating system every month is a standard feature of all Celtic Crapboxes. Are you referring to qualpex piping when you mention leak problems. It's copper piping I've had leaking problems with, but they were probably fitted by a brother of the guy that "fitted" the windows (Lol, they needn't have bothered with vents in the walls).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

jenb550 wrote: »
    Does anyone know more about the newer phase of caislean? My fiancé and I have viewed the show house and have put our names down for the next development. We will have to pay a deposit within the next month but it's refundable if we decide to pull out. He's in the university and I'm in the hospital so location wise it is ideal but I did notice some of the estate doesn't look too hot. Then again, I suppose you'd get that anywhere...

I'm in the same boat as you we have a house reserved too for the next phase coming in December. We've gone for 2 viewings in the show house and it's absolutely beautiful. There's no denying the quality of the houses inside. Is it true the heating will only cost €500 a year or so? We're a young couple with a baby on the way so the playground would be ideal.

We also spoke to a young couple who have been living there since 2008 and they had nothing but good things to say. They paid €285,000 for their house and were jealous that the show house was such an upgrade haha

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

the starved mangey yoke that built them

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jenb550

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Don't ever feel like a stalker for doing that. I'm buying at the moment and did this several times in different places. People are very happy to tell you their experiences and to me, it would seem like a minimum bit of research to do before committing to something as major as buying a home.

Have you looked at the plans for the new phase in Bloomfield? The houses look lovely and are pretty competitively priced as well.

That's true, I do like to be as thorough as I can and would easily head over there any day and a cost as many potential neighbours as possible!

We did look at bloomfield alright but fiancé isn't too keen and a work colleague is currently dealing with her fourth major issue in that house. Problems all due to plumbing actually. I suppose it's a new phase going in though so those issues will be fixed.

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you we have a house reserved too for the next phase coming in December. We've gone for 2 viewings in the show house and it's absolutely beautiful. There's no denying the quality of the houses inside. Is it true the heating will only cost €500 a year or so? We're a young couple with a baby on the way so the playground would be ideal.

We also spoke to a young couple who have been living there since 2008 and they had nothing but good things to say. They paid €285,000 for their house and were jealous that the show house was such an upgrade haha

The show house is fabulous and I'm very wary of expecting the same of the house we end up with. Our furniture will have a lot of up cycling to undergo for starters! The first time we viewed the show house I had to drag him away before he signed to buy it on the spot!

Fajr play

• Advertisement

Sheeeeit wrote: »

The show house is fabulous and I'm very wary of expecting the same of the house we end up with. Our furniture will have a lot of up cycling to undergo for starters! The first time we viewed the show house I had to drag him away before he signed to buy it on the spot!

Fair play on the detective work with the neighbours! I was a bit too chicken to do it so I'm glad they've got good reports. I do like that the residents are mainly young families like us too. I'd love to have an estate like the one I grew up on, all the kids out playing and my parents out chatting with theirs.

Jeez 285?! That's what the show house is going for now! As far as I know the heating is accurate pricewise. Friends of ours bought a similar build in Dublin and they say their main problem is actually that the house is too warm at times and they pay just over 500 a year. They've been in almost two years now.

I was speaking to the estate agent about seeing the houses that are decorated before they hand over in order to see the difference between them and the show house, darker kitchens etc. Yet to get in to see but would love to. All going well we could be neighbours!

That's true, I do like to be as thorough as I can and would easily head over there any day and a cost as many potential neighbours as possible!

We did look at bloomfield alright but fiancé isn't too keen and a work colleague is currently dealing with her fourth major issue in that house. Problems all due to plumbing actually. I suppose it's a new phase going in though so those issues will be fixed.

Do you mind if I ask why your fiancé isn't too keen on Bloomfield? It's a lovely estate, the new builds will be done by a new builder to the old places...it's in a great area within walking distance of loads of amenities, the very nice park is only down the road and there's a playground there.

You're not going to be walking anywhere from Caisleán na hAbhann, that's for sure.

Do you mind if I ask why your fiancé isn't too keen on Bloomfield? It's a lovely estate, the new builds will be done by a new builder to the old places...it's in a great area within walking distance of loads of amenities, the very nice park is only down the road and there's a playground there.

You're not going to be walking anywhere from Caisleán na hAbhann, that's for sure.

Bloomfield does have a nice little shopping alcove down the road alright but I felt the estate itself was vast. Very built up and a lot of cars squished outside the houses where they didn't fit in the drives. It reminded me a lot of kilteragh it was so packed and I wasn't a fan of kilteragh either.

It's also quite far from the motorway. I am on call some weekends and weeknights and I need to be within fifteen mins of the hospital. I'd rather be beside a main road, especially in the winter at three in the morning when I'll have to speed. It makes it a lot handier for me to be in caislean.

Caislean is only a short walk from aldi , the university is a walk for my fiancé who lectures there and could walk to work in the mornings and we are near a 24hour garage too. That's all I need for now. There are plans for a school and a hotel to go into the field across the road and for a link road to the golf links Road from the roundabout so I'm not too worried about the fun fair continuing to be honest.

I was actually a bit concerned about the park in bloomfield too. The playground, admittedly looks lovely but there will be one built right across from the house we have our names down for in caislean and I could watch our little fella from the house which would be great.

Lots of houses for sale in bloomfield too. Have to wonder why.

Lastly, prices. Caislean is better value for money in my opinion. I have to remember that it's the start of something out there and in a few years time it'll be a well established, young Estate with a good community feel.

Bloomfield does have a nice little shopping alcove down the road alright but I felt the estate itself was vast. Very built up and a lot of cars squished outside the houses where they didn't fit in the drives. It reminded me a lot of kilteragh it was so packed and I wasn't a fan of kilteragh either.

It's also quite far from the motorway. I am on call some weekends and weeknights and I need to be within fifteen mins of the hospital. I'd rather be beside a main road, especially in the winter at three in the morning when I'll have to speed. It makes it a lot handier for me to be in caislean.

Caislean is only a short walk from aldi , the university is a walk for my fiancé who lectures there and could walk to work in the mornings and we are near a 24hour garage too. That's all I need for now. There are plans for a school and a hotel to go into the field across the road and for a link road to the golf links Road from the roundabout so I'm not too worried about the fun fair continuing to be honest.

I was actually a bit concerned about the park in bloomfield too. The playground, admittedly looks lovely but there will be one built right across from the house we have our names down for in caislean and I could watch our little fella from the house which would be great.

Lots of houses for sale in bloomfield too. Have to wonder why.

Lastly, prices. Caislean is better value for money in my opinion. I have to remember that it's the start of something out there and in a few years time it'll be a well established, young Estate with a good community feel.

I'll question a couple of those points:

1. Distance from the motorway - The Castletroy roundabout on to the n20 is only five minutes away, although admittedly it brings you onto it two kilometres further back than Ballysimon does.

2. Walking distances - I think you might have your distances wrong here, Caisleán is comfortably 25 minutes walk from Aldi. UL is the same, and that's at a decent pace. I've lived on Groody Rd for three years and have done both quite a few times. It is a great location to cycle from though with all the bike lanes coming from that direction.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut now, because it's your house at the end of the day! The only reason I was giving so much input is that I've lived in 4 different estates in Castletroy over the last 6 and a half years so I know the lay of the land very well.

I'm actually moving in to town so didn't end up buying anywhere in Castletroy myself. The very best of luck with everything, it's a very exciting time as I know myself, I'm sure you'll be delighted when you get in the door!

I'll question a couple of those points:

1. Distance from the motorway - The Castletroy roundabout on to the n20 is only five minutes away, although admittedly it brings you onto it two kilometres further back than Ballysimon does.

2. Walking distances - I think you might have your distances wrong here, Caisleán is comfortably 25 minutes walk from Aldi. UL is the same, and that's at a decent pace. I've lived on Groody Rd for three years and have done both quite a few times. It is a great location to cycle from though with all the bike lanes coming from that direction.

I'm going to keep my mouth shut now, because it's your house at the end of the day! The only reason I was giving so much input is that I've lived in 4 different estates in Castletroy over the last 6 and a half years so I know the lay of the land very well.

I'm actually moving in to town so didn't end up buying anywhere in Castletroy myself. The very best of luck with everything, it's a very exciting time as I know myself, I'm sure you'll be delighted when you get in the door!

1- Five mins plus an extra two kilometres is time I just don't have to spare. When someone is having a heart attack and I'm called in I'm much better placed to get to the motorway and get into the hospital as soon as I can. I genuinely don't have time to negotiate smaller roads especially if it's frosty out. We currently live in Dooradoyle and I have the luxury of walking in now if I'm called. Even the distance of caislean scarves me if I'm honest and it's far closer than bloomfield. I'm from Dublin too and would head up to see my family once or twice a month, it's not nearly as important a reason as call but it's quite handy to be close by on a Friday evening and to just get on my way. Though, admittedly it's an after thought.

2- for me it's about a fifteen minutes walk at most. I recently dropped my car in to be serviced at frahils garage in ballysimon and then walked to the university to meet my fiancé. It took me 35 mins in total. The bike is certainly another option and I'm sure he will probably do both depending on weather.

If I'm being totally honest, bloomfield would probably have been considered more seriously if my job wasn't such a factor. I do a lot of call and I really do have to be in the cath lab, ready to go in fifteen mins, twenty at a push. My fiancé was worried that on top of the stress of the job that I'd have the added stress of trying to get to the job so caislean was a logical move for us. Definitely not for everyone, as youve pointed out.

My fiancé did his degree, masters and PhD in the university and had lived in a lot of places in castletroy too so he put the brakes in a lot of the estates I was looking in due to student population and suitability for suture children we might have etc. I will admit that I've only lived in limerick for three years, all of which I've spent in Dooradoyle so I'm certainly not the nest person to be making any assumption regarding where we live.

Thanks for the advice, I'll not know if it was the right choice until way further down the line, probably a good few years from now but at least if it wasn't then I'm five mins closer to the motorway to get outta dodge haha!

Good luck with your move, I'm very excited but trying to be realistic. It ain't over till the bank decide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 eborelk

Hi,

Bit late to the conversation but just came across this thread. I bough one of the older houses (built ~2008) in Caiselan two years ago and couldn't be happier with the place. I moved down from Dublin and commute there weekly while my wife is in UL. Having never lived in Limerick I was a bit nervous about where to buy and did a LOT of research (obviously as an outsider!) and am delighted with where we've ended up. All of the houses around us are owner-occupied. While we don't have kids yet we like that there are loads of them out and playing each evening...and I'm sure the new playground will be a great addition. It genuinely feels very neighbourly, and I am yet to witness anything antisocial. The house is so warm, not sure we've had the heating on more than a handful of times (plus we have a wood-burning stove which is way more atmospheric!) Very happy with the lay-out of the house which I believe is the same for the new ones. Have had zero issues with sound from neighbours. Only complaint would be the elec shower is quite loud but if that's my only complaint I'll live! Have both walked and cycled to UL plenty of times and it's not a trek. Also think it's brilliant that we have so many shops less than 5 mins drive away, but admittedly haven't walked to them yet. I have an early commute once a week back to Dublin so not having to go through traffic to get to the motorway was a massive plus. I really couldn't recommend the place more!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    I decided against starting a new thread as this is already up and running.

We were looking at the showhouse in Evanwood on the Golf Links Road and we may be considering a purchase when their next phase goes on sale early next year.

The thread has not been updated in 5 months so I am wondering if anyone has any new impressions of the place?

Also, are their any new builds elsewhere at this time?

I know a lot of people who own places in there. It's a nice place albeit turning into a bit of a sprawl with the latest phase. Be careful where your house is - a lot of the new phase back directly on to the motorway which would be a nightmare for you. They're nice houses, timber frame which means they are pretty noisy internally but they are decent value for a new build today.

Bloomfield in Annacotty are launching the second phase of their new development at the moment, first phase sold out quite quickly. It's a lovely, quiet estate in a great location. I know someone who owns one of the original townhouses and it's a nice place to live. Smaller and less sprawl than Evanwood. Don't know what the interiors of the new places are like.

Kylemore are building new houses the whole time - they are the nicest houses by far out of the new builds but between this and the fact that they're block built, the price is higher accordingly. I was looking at a townhouse up there at 229,000 but it backed on to the motorway so unfortunately wasn't a runner. The 4 bed semis are beautiful houses but are starting at 269,000 with another bit on top of that to finish.

There is a new build called Ros Mór out in Ballyneety at the moment too which is cheaper given that it's a bit further out but I don't know anything about it so can't shed any light on it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Also, are their any new builds elsewhere at this time?

Kylemore, Caislean na Habhainn, Bloomfield and Ros Mór. Slí na Manach soon.

Plenty of new builds but definitely space for more.

Bear in mind it will be a big enough estate when finished well over 200 houses. Traffic is busy on the golf links rd if you need to be in at 9 but there is plans to put a link road to groody.

As regards internal walls I don't see the attraction of paying a crazy amount more for block over timber-frame. I'd be more concerned about the rep of the builders. Do your research and talk to folk who live in the new builds.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Kylemore, Caislean na Habhainn, Bloomfield and Ros Mór. Slí na Manach soon.

Plenty of new builds but definitely space for more.

Bear in mind it will be a big enough estate when finished well over 200 houses. Traffic is busy on the golf links rd if you need to be in at 9 but there is plans to put a link road to groody.

As regards internal walls I don't see the attraction of paying a crazy amount more for block over timber-frame. I'd be more concerned about the rep of the builders. Do your research and talk to folk who live in the new builds.

I was at my friend's house in Evanwood for McGregor v Diaz 1 some months ago. I went up for a kip at about 1am in the master bedroom. The TV was on downstairs and I could hear every word that was being said on it, along with every word of conversation being had between the two people that were downstairs. They weren't shouting either. I was thinking of buying in there at the time but it put me off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Can I ask does anyone know what price these houses are coming in at? What's the damage?

And what are people's opinions of Caislean na Habhlann apart from mr. Poopy as discussed previously. Any new information?

Any concerns about the new builds?

myshirt wrote: »
    Can I ask does anyone know what price these houses are coming in at? What's the damage?

They are all available to see on Daft, give them a quick google and you'll see. They were going very cheap last phase but are starting to creep up now. The positive is with this phase they're building some bigger houses with two reception rooms which would be a nice addition in a semi d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

@wigsa100

No prices on daft as far as I can see.

myshirt wrote: »
    @wigsa100

No prices on daft as far as I can see.

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/new-homes-for-sale/evanwood-golf-links-road-castletroy-limerick-42841/

Most expensive are 275k I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

They were going very cheap last phase but are starting to creep up now

Houses starting at 209k are reasonable compared to other urban areas of the country but I would never use the term "cheap".

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Houses starting at 209k are reasonable compared to other urban areas of the country but I would never use the term "cheap".

209k for a brand new house, in one of the nicest areas of the city and county, is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 clarkej5

Hey all, has anyone an idea of the cost of the new 4 beds being built in bloomfield?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

clarkej5 wrote:
    Hey all, has anyone an idea of the cost of the new 4 beds being built in bloomfield? Thanks

Starting from 295k is what I was told.
    Only 1250 sqft in size though as far as I know .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Anyone know what Newcastle Court is like? I've always liked the look of those apartments

Starting from 295k is what I was told.
    Only 1250 sqft in size though as far as I know .

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

209k for a brand new house, in one of the nicest areas of the city and county, is cheap.

I think it makes sense for a lot of people, especially those working in that area. Wouldn't consider it particularly 'nice' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Keep an eye out for older houses (heatherdale / monaleen park etc). These are 25 + years and some of the families are downsizing. Dominated by owner occupiers, very few renters and no social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Traveller83

Hi,
    I just wanted to see if anyone has some new updates on the Caislean na Habhainn estate? We were viewing a house there recently and it appears to be finished to a high standard. It was a lovely house but some reviews on boards are a little offputing so i was wondering if anything changed in the recent months. Especially in terms of the type of people living around.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I just wanted to see if anyone has some new updates on the Caislean na Habhainn estate? We were viewing a house there recently and it appears to be finished to a high standard. It was a lovely house but some reviews on boards are a little offputing so i was wondering if anything changed in the recent months. Especially in terms of the type of people living around.

Thanks!

Hi Traveller83,

I commented on this post a while back when my fiancé and I were originally looking at these houses. We bit the bullet and bought just towards the end of 2016 and between the jigs and the reels with a few minor delays we got the keys (delivered to us on a Saturday by the foreman, in fairness to him) on April 1st

We've had a few teething issues with some of our shower traps not sitting correctly and our sitting room floor needs replacing but the builders have been honest and accommodating throughout. Our little lad has autism and when I mentioned it in passing I was asked if he needed anything in particular fitted to the house or if we needed any special lighting in his room. Overall I'm impressed with how clean the site around us is and the ease at which I can get in contact with builders, plummer, electricians and carpenters if needs be. The decorators even gave me a small pot of the paint that's on the walls if I need to touch up at any stage.

The house is warm, very warm. We've been sleeping with a fan and have been grateful for it. The biggest issue we've had, believe it or not, is connecting our phone line! Eircom have been impossible to deal with ad I've logged a complaint with comreg. Final installation of our broadband is to happen tomorrow so I can update you on that if needs be.

We are really happy here and don't regret it one bit so far, though I'm aware it's only early days. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat a out anything specific or if you want to pop out to our house and have a look.
    Jen

Advertisement