Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCG injection

Options
  • 06-04-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all we had a baby boy last week and met with the local health nurse today who informed us that the country is out of the BCG vaccination.

Has everyone else got the same response? What are people's thoughts on this?

Should we be more cautious/ concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No babies born since April/May have had it. They're talking about removing it from the schedule altogether, most countries only give it to at risk babies already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's been a year at least since there has been a BCG vaccination in this country. As the poster above mentioned the HSE are talking about removing it from the newborn schedule and only giving it to children at risk of TB (so babies with a family member who has TB or babies with parents from a country that still has TB). I would be overly concerned children in Galway didn't get it until their teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭info13

January wrote: »
    It's been a year at least since there has been a BCG vaccination in this country. As the poster above mentioned the HSE are talking about removing it from the newborn schedule and only giving it to children at risk of TB (so babies with a family member who has TB or babies with parents from a country that still has TB). I would be overly concerned children in Galway didn't get it until their teens.

I'm guessing you meant "wouldn't be overly concerned" ?

We we're thinking of getting it done privately in Poland but I'm not sure now if it's 100% needed.

As far as I'm aware there is no history in the family from all sides but must look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

My youngest was born in November 2014 and he hasn't had a bcg due to shortage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

lainycool wrote: »
    My youngest was born in November 2014 and he hasn't had a bcg due to shortage either.

The factories manufacturing bcg for Ireland and Portugal can no longer supply it. It is available in other EU countries. At the moment, the HSE have not made a decision as to whether they will remove the vaccine from the schedule. If the vaccine does come back into stock, newborns at that time will be vaccinated first followed by children on the wait list by increasing age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

i wouldn't be too worried about getting it privately, unless there was a particular risk. I was in my teens when I had it. If it's available in other eu countries though, how come it can't be procured for healthcare workers? A friend of mine is waiting to start a job in healthcare, but can't as her BCG is still pending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My little girl was born last February and got her bcg at the end of March 2015 but the Phn was telling me at the time that they were at the end of their batch and didn't know when the next would be coming in due to the shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

info13 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you meant "wouldn't be overly concerned" ?

We we're thinking of getting it done privately in Poland but I'm not sure now if it's 100% needed.

As far as I'm aware there is no history in the family from all sides but must look into it further.

Yes you're right, I meant wouldn't be overly concerned!

It's just an immediate family thing, as in there's potential risk of them catching it from an infected family member. Not that anyone in the family has ever had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

jlm29 wrote: »
    i wouldn't be too worried about getting it privately, unless there was a particular risk. I was in my teens when I had it. If it's available in other eu countries though, how come it can't be procured for healthcare workers? A friend of mine is waiting to start a job in healthcare, but can't as her BCG is still pending.

Is this in Ireland? I've been working in healthcare here for the past 12 years and I've never had my BCG. I was born in New Zealand where they didn't give it routinely. I think you are advised to get it here if you are working in healthcare but didn't think it was obligatory? Perhaps it depends what country you are coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My daughter was born in September 2014 and there was a shortage of the vaccine even then. It took a few months for her to get it.
    There are certain areas in the country (Cork was one but may not be any longer) that are at greater risk than others.
    For me I would do all that I could to obtain the vaccine but is because I am immuno suppressed thanks to having Rheumatoid Arthritis and the treatment I am on for it leaves me even more at risk of contracting illness particularly of a respiratory nature. I had to be thoroughly tested for TB before I could even start on treatment.
    In other circumstances I'd be more relaxed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Is this in Ireland? I've been working in healthcare here for the past 12 years and I've never had my BCG. I was born in New Zealand where they didn't give it routinely. I think you are advised to get it here if you are working in healthcare but didn't think it was obligatory? Perhaps it depends what country you are coming from?

No, she's in Ireland, and is Irish. Maybe it's just the organisation she's looking to work for. It's voluntary, I think, as opposed to hse. I thought it was obligatory here- I work for the hse, and I know I've been checked for a scar several times by occ health, but maybe that was just for a record!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

jlm29 wrote: »
    No, she's in Ireland, and is Irish. Maybe it's just the organisation she's looking to work for. It's voluntary, I think, as opposed to hse. I thought it was obligatory here- I work for the hse, and I know I've been checked for a scar several times by occ health, but maybe that was just for a record!

I was defo asked if I had it by off health and they did a mantoux which showed I wasn't immune. They recommended I get it but defo didn't enforce it. I put my name down to get it about a year ago when I went back to the wards but they said there could be a wait... And I never heard anything back. I'm not ward based now so not too bothered (touch wood).

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My daughter was born May 2015 and my phn told me they hadn't vaccinated any of the babies since January 2015 and that they are hoping the protocol will change and that only babies that are deemed risk will receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

My dd was born last May and hasn't had the bcg. No sign of it happening any time soon by the looks!

Advertisement