Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAT instead of Honors Maths?

Options
  • 06-04-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm in 5th year and currently doing pass maths (i think i would've been able for honors had i given maths a proper try before I began to appreciate maths a lot more since i am now doing physics and find it really interesting) but anyways for the Bio-medicine course I'm looking at in Karolinska University in Stockholm, the requirements say you need honors level maths. After talking to a study in Europe guidance counselor who has connections with Karolinska, he told me that I could always do an SAT in maths instead of having my honors level maths and that some universities may accept that. I'm just wanting to know has anyone here ever tried that and if so any advice/help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You should probably contact the Karolinska Institute and ask directly. The guidance counsellor has said 'may accept'. That is a cop out and means nothing. Get it in writing from the source.

The other option of course is to take up HL maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

The SATs are essentially the American equivalent to the Leaving Cert. They are intended to be sat by American students or students wishing to pursue university courses in US. I imagine any college outside of the US would be quite apprehensive as to why an Irish student would sit the American exam rather than the Irish one.

I'm assuming that if they're requiring higher level maths for their course you probably have to have a good level of maths to do it so maybe if you don't think you're able for honours maths, it may not be the course for you. Otherwise maybe give honours maths a good go and see if you can manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

How about the UK A-level maths? I think there is a college in Dublin that holds A-level exams or you could apply to sit in Northern Ireland as an external student. However, given that students do 3 A-levels as compared to our 7 subjects, A-level maths is likely to contain more that higher level leaving cert maths.

Your other option is to do the higher level maths course on your own or with grinds. Nobody can stop you sitting the higher level maths paper on the day of the exam.

Best of luck

Advertisement