Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period concerns

Options
  • 06-04-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been in my current job for 16 months. I know I will be leaving this job in August. My contract states 1 weeks notice, but I planned on giving 2. A friend of mine said this is unacceptable as I already know I will be leaving and should be telling my manager now to allow them to plan for a replacement. This is ridiculous, right? It is a skilled job, but not one that would take much longer than 2 weeks to fill. It probably would be more convenient for them to know as soon as possible, but I do not want it to be awkward for the next 5 months!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

henlo wrote: »
    I have been in my current job for 16 months. I know I will be leaving this job in August. My contract states 1 weeks notice, but I planned on giving 2. A friend of mine said this is unacceptable as I already know I will be leaving and should be telling my manager now to allow them to plan for a replacement. This is ridiculous, right? It is a skilled job, but not one that would take much longer than 2 weeks to fill. It probably would be more convenient for them to know as soon as possible, but I do not want it to be awkward for the next 5 months!
    Give 3 weeks or a month. Give 6 and you will be given notice the second that they have an option to hire a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think two weeks sounds reasonable given that your contract only states one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think two weeks sounds reasonable given that your contract only states one

Do this.

Your friend is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Two weeks is more than enough OP. You are being overly generous at that. You are honoring the contract of employment that you signed and then some. That's all you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Personally I think in this situation a month would be good a good gesture, even if you said it unofficially to your manager at that stage. Try and make life as easy for your current employer as possible.

Your friend however is totally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is a skilled job, but not one that would take much longer than 2 weeks to fill.
    That's really the key there.

If you were doing a job that was difficult to hire for or that other staff can't really cover, then loads of notice is a nice courtesy. But if you're part of a team and others can cover your workload for a month or more, then you don't need to give loads of notice.

At best they won't even bothering hiring a replacement until a week before you leave, but in the interim you will find yourself frozen out of interesting stuff and potentially missing out on pay increases and bonusses.

At worst, they will hire someone immediately and because they're overstaffed they'll ask you to leave, and suddenly you're out of a job 3 months earlier than you planned.

Your friends' reasoning is relatively sound - as a hiring manager you want as much notice as possible. But there's a big difference between, "That's great, we can have someone trained in by the time you leave" and, "Why are you telling me this now?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

legally you have to give 1 week, ethically give as much as you can,
    two weeks is loads though.

your friend is scaremongering, as a HR manager its always nice when people say im leaving in 4 months to give you the heads up but it doesnt really make much difference, the one thing to remember however is to try to keep it quiet to your colleague until after you have officially given notice.

i often find out from people gossiping before notice is given and im never impressed by it.

even if you tell your manager and ask them to keep it quiet then announce it officially before you go, it cuts down on the drama.

Advertisement