Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG v Man City 06/04/2016 (RTE/BT Sport)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Strange CL week tbh. None of the big teams impressing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Double pivot wtf ? When did people start using these stupid terminologies.

I'm not sure. It's either Jonathan Wilson or FM's fault.

What was wrong with saying defensive mid, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It kinda just sounds like pretentious wankery to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was listening to the RTE pundits after the game and they were all on about how the teams were making mistakes and how lucky City were to get that result.

I found it startling that none of them thought that a mention of the fact that City were missing Kompany and Yaya Toure was important.

Like they are only two world class players, and along with De Bruyne and Aguero probably the most important players to Manchester City right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Well done City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

To paraphrase the Simpsons: Excuse me, but "Pivot" and "double pivot"? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing anyone here of anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Note to self: 'don't use correct soccer terms on soccer forum for fear of "pretentious wankery."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was listening to the RTE pundits after the game and they were all on about how the teams were making mistakes and how lucky City were to get that result.

I found it startling that none of them thought that a mention of the fact that City were missing Kompany and Yaya Toure was important.

Like they are only two world class players, and along with De Bruyne and Aguero probably the most important players to Manchester City right now.

I'd say you'd find a good few who would argue with you on that, Ya Ya is coming to his twilight years, he's 32, 33 in a month. He often looks disinterested during big games and has been anonymous in plenty of their big matches.

Companys form was up and down last season, started well this season but ultimately Injury has plagued him so it's hard to know how he would be.

As for PSG they were also missing Veratti in the middle, a big big loss along with Pastore

City were lucky to get a 2-2 draw, the game should have been out of sight after the 1st 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67RYI_0sc0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Note to self: 'don't use correct soccer terms on soccer forum for fear of "pretentious wankery."

If only we could start by using it's correct name first, football.

• Advertisement

It's hipster football, terminology for the sake of it. Of course people are going to find it pretentious.

I remain to be shown how 'single pivot' adds so much more than 'defensive mid'.

I imagine it's a direct translation from Italian or Spanish which is fairly unnecessary when speaking to this audience, unless that is you're trying to sound knowledgable through language alone.

So, yeah, pretentious.

Then the word **** tends to naturally follow pretentious a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Football, soccer wtf? Why does it matter which you call it? This is the SOCCER forum.

Gaa heads then tell you their game is football but its Gah to me.

Also double pivot is popular terminology for two deep lying midfielders these days, move with the times or stay old but quit criticising people for using the newer terminologies FFS some of you are getting like the older Gah fans or the LOI fans from a few years back in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

~Rebel~ wrote: »

If it sounds like a horse, looks like a horse, it usually is a horse

gosplan wrote: »
    It's hipster football, terminology for the sake of it. Of course people are going to find it pretentious.

I remain to be shown how 'single pivot' adds so much more than 'defensive mid'.

I imagine it's a direct translation from Italian or Spanish which is fairly unnecessary when speaking to this audience, unless that is you're trying to sound knowledgable through language alone.

So, yeah, pretentious.

Then the word **** tends to naturally follow pretentious a lot of the time.

Because the word "single" is included in the term its easier to differentiate between whether the team play with 1 or 2 pivots. I'd also say that defensive midfielder is a misleading term in that you will find different type of players playing in that role and a defensive midfielder refers to a very specific type. Pivot is a catch-all term for that position on the field and therefore is more generalised making the discussion more accessible. Do I think about such things in great detail all the time? You bet I do.

inforfun wrote: »
    If only we could start by using it's correct name first, football.

Last time I checked this was still called the "soccer forum" here on Boards so let's roll with it.

Last time I checked this was still called the "soccer forum" here on Boards so let's roll with it.

Wasnt a dig at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote: »
    cc60e520-7cb5-0132-1d72-0a2c89e5f2f5.gif?

I was thinking this

I was like this teacher when I seen some of the defending last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I'd say you'd find a good few who would argue with you on that, Ya Ya is coming to his twilight years, he's 32, 33 in a month. He often looks disinterested during big games and has been anonymous in plenty of their big matches.

Companys form was up and down last season, started well this season but ultimately Injury has plagued him so it's hard to know how he would be.

As for PSG they were also missing Veratti in the middle, a big big loss along with Pastore

City were lucky to get a 2-2 draw, the game should have been out of sight after the 1st 30 minutes.

City are a far, far better defensive side with Kompany. The stats with and without Kompany in the side are just embarrassing for City really. He was a huge loss. Toure too if fit could possibly have started ahead of Fernando and probably not have handed PSG an equaliser. They were both huge losses for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

City are a far, far better defensive side with Kompany. The stats with and without Kompany in the side are just embarrassing for City really. He was a huge loss. Toure too if fit could possibly have started ahead of Fernando and probably not have handed PSG an equaliser. They were both huge losses for City.

No Doubt, as were Pastore and Veratti. If's and buts, we have no idea what would have happened. Kompany could have given away 22 penalties. We will never know.

On the basis of the 90 minutes and as the game played out, City were lucky to get out with a 2-2 draw.

Because the word "single" is included in the term its easier to differentiate between whether the team play with 1 or 2 pivots. I'd also say that defensive midfielder is a misleading term in that you will find different type of players playing in that role and a defensive midfielder refers to a very specific type. Pivot is a catch-all term for that position on the field and therefore is more generalised making the discussion more accessible. Do I think about such things in great detail all the time? You bet I do.

That's all great but don't be surprised when people think it's pretentious.

Don't sweat it though. If you try to sound really knowledgable in any conversation from beer to cigars to football to politics, most people will think you're a wanker.

Doesn't mean you are. Doesn't mean you're wrong either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Does anyone actually respect the journalist Miguel Delaney's opinion? He always comes across as not having a clue.

Tried to blame Joe Hart for PSG's first goal last night. Absolutely baffling conclusion.

Well, to be fair, i was told at U9 level already never to defend out to the middle of the pitch.
    Lets say it wasnt the best choice Hart made last night.
    Of course it wasnt Hart's fault the mess that happened to be Fernando (or inho...)

Well, to be fair, i was told at U9 level already never to defend out to the middle of the pitch.
    Of course it wasnt Hart's fault the mess that happened to be Fernando (or inho...)

I'm sorry but that's modern day football. Your two centre halves sit on the two corners of the box and the midfielder drops in to show a third option for the keeper. Hart even pointed for him to turn out right and he stupidly went the other way. It wasn't a bad idea to pass it to him at all, Fernando was just an idiot when he got the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's modern day football. Your two centre halves sit on the two corners of the box and the midfielder drops in to show a third option for the keeper. Hart even pointed for him to turn out right and he stupidly went the other way. It wasn't a bad idea to pass it to him at all, Fernando was just an idiot when he got the ball.

Was a bad idea to stand in the same spot where he took the kickout too though. Both to blame for it IMO.

Mushy wrote: »
    Was a bad idea to stand in the same spot where he took the kickout too though. Both to blame for it IMO.

Why was it? Fernando could have just passed it back to him too if he felt uncomfortable. There's literally no blame on Hart at all.

Why was it? Fernando could have just passed it back to him too if he felt uncomfortable. There's literally no blame on Hart at all.

Because if he moves back in to the goal he saves it. Yeah Fernando could've/should've passed it back (he deserves more blame), but Hart didn't cover all angles. Think its quite poor on his behalf.

Mushy wrote: »
    Because if he moves back in to the goal he saves it. Yeah Fernando could've/should've passed it back (he deserves more blame), but Hart didn't cover all angles. Think its quite poor on his behalf.

But he was standing in the right place to receive the ball back and play it out to the FB.

I can't see how it's his fault that he was preparing for that rather than the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Id agree, Hart would stand to the right of the goal purely because if he had to pass back its safer than standing in front of goal.

Count how many times Bravo or Neuer or Reina ect. do it during any given game. It was a perfectly acceptable pass and decision but to a player who is remarkably uncomfortable in that situation and it showed.

• Advertisement

Count how many times Bravo or Neuer or Reina ect. do it during any given game. It was a perfectly acceptable pass and decision but to a player who is remarkably uncomfortable in that situation and it showed.

So you only do it to players you know will be comfortable in that situation...?

I will not say it was all Hart's fault, definitely not.

But what did Hart expect Fernando to do with that pass/situation? Where can he go?

598881d74fd63ede812089e7848f3569.png

Fernando is facing Hart. PSG is putting some half arsed pressing on.
    It is a silly ball to play.
    And then Fernando ****s up completely.

It's was largely Hart's fault.

A goalkeeper should never play the ball across his own goal from a kickout as it leaves the whole goal open if a mistake (as happened last night) were to occur.

Don't give an oppurtunity for mistake to be punished when there are other safer options available.There was no value in the chance Hart took.

It's was largely Hart's fault.

A goalkeeper should never play the ball across his own goal from a kickout as it leaves the whole goal open if a mistake (as happened last night) were to occur.

Don't give an oppurtunity for mistake to be punished when there are other safer options available.There was no value in the chance Hart took.

He didn't play the ball across his own goal.

Also, as the pic put up for inforfun shows, the space Fernando has is TONNES for a professional footballer. And then he told him to turn in also. Hart has done absolutely nothing wrong in this situation other than trust his player to listen to him when he passes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

To be harried successfully by Ibra of all players was still embarrassing for Fernando.

He didn't play the ball across his own goal.

Also, as the pic put up for inforfun shows, the space Fernando has is TONNES for a professional footballer. And then he told him to turn out also. Hart has done absolutely nothing wrong in this situation other than trust his player to listen to him when he passes it.

He was outside the width of his posts and he played it to an area inside the width of the posts.So obviously it's not totally across his goals but was partly across his goal and he shouldn't have done it in my opinion.

gosplan wrote: »
    But he was standing in the right place to receive the ball back and play it out to the FB.

I can't see how it's his fault that he was preparing for that rather than the shot.

I only mean a few steps to his left, he could still receive a pass back, but at least be in the goal. Obviously can't always anticipate a player making a complete mess of it as happened, but I feel he should've at least gone over as far as the post.

• Advertisement

So you only do it to players you know will be comfortable in that situation...?

I will not say it was all Hart's fault, definitely not.

But what did Hart expect Fernando to do with that pass/situation? Where can he go?

598881d74fd63ede812089e7848f3569.png

Fernando is facing Hart. PSG is putting some half arsed pressing on.
    It is a silly ball to play.
    And then Fernando ****s up completely.

I'm not saying that. I'm not even nearly saying that. I'm saying Hart's pass and position afterwards are perfectly acceptable and what you'd expect from a goalkeeper at a top level club in 2016.

He can go left to the right back quite easily if his touch is right, he could easily go back to the keeper tO draw the strikers on to create space elsewhere. The PSG wasn't even particularly impressive, Zlatan only switched on after Fernando's shocking first touch.

As you said, it's a half press, a possession based side would absolutely be expected to build from the back in that situation. I don't agree at all that it was a silly ball.

He was outside the width of his posts and he played it to an area inside the width of the posts.So obviously it's not totally across his goals but was partly across his goal and he shouldn't have done it in my opinion.

That is not what coaches mean when they tell the players not to play the ball across the goal.

All I can say is if you seriously think that's Hart's fault you must be one of those people on a Sunday morning at the local pitch/in a pub, screaming at the kids/your team on the TV, to smash it down the pitch at every available opportunity.

That is not what coaches mean when they tell the players not to play the ball across the goal.

Still too much of an unneccesary risk in my opinion.

Sure Fernando should have done better but he could have easily played it to the full back on the right.He even played it to Fernando's right side rather than this left which would have been the safer option.

Not only that but coaches encourage the keeper to be outside the width of the posts for a pass back where possible to avoid the risk of an OG.

• Advertisement

Dont think i can put the full video here but it is on the irishexaminer website. Ibra starts to run the moment Hart passes the ball, not only after Fernando having it.

Bayern would have sort it out, Barca would. But they have the players to do so.
    Fernando isa bouncer, not a footballer for these situation and Hart should be aware.

Now, it could be Hart was taking a lot of time already and didnt want to get booked for time wasting and therefore played it like this because he was rushed into it... cant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Let's just agree that both players involved won't be to Pep's liking.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hart will never make it as a single pivot.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Hart will never make it as a single pivot.

Facepalm for making lame jokes about a correct football term here on a football forum. Equivalent of laughing at the kid in class who got the question right. Good job.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Facepalm for making lame jokes about a correct football term here on a football forum. Equivalent of laughing at the kid in class who got the question right. Good job.

Wasn't laughing at you at all, genuinely.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement