Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater

Options
  • 06-04-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The button that presses against the reset button in my immersion heater is worn and is no longer pressing against the reset button.

Anyone know where to get the silver cover as per the attached pictures?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You get a new cover with a new element - but that's not really helpful.

I'd be more concerned about why you have to reset - I've only had to do it once in 10 years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree with the above post, you should only have to reset if something has gone wrong. Either immersion or stats require replacement or possibly the stat is set too high so the cut out is activating before the stat reaches its set point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Or in some cases, another heat source heats the cylinder water above the immersion overheat stat point.

Might not be the case here, but worth a mention, as in such cases, the immersion heater might not have any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Bruthal wrote: »
    Or in some cases, another heat source heats the cylinder water above the immersion overheat stat point.

Might not be the case here, but worth a mention, as in such cases, the immersion heater might not have any problem.

Yeah, I think that's it as the gas heats the water and the immersion is used as a "boost" when it shouldn't be. Also, the thermostat was over 60°C. So I've reduced it to 40°C. What temp should an immersion thermostat be at anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

What temp should an immersion thermostat be at anyway?

40 is too low and unhygienic as bacteria can flourish at this temperature.
    60 is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hot water temp should be above 50 degrees to avoid bacteria growth!

As mentioned by Joe 1919 your stored water must be heated to at least 60c.

"The primary method used to control the risk from Legionella is water temperature control.
    Water services should be operated at temperatures that prevent Legionella growth:

Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher
    Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).
    Cold water should be stored and distributed below 20°C."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

We might be drifting away from the possible cause of the original problem in terms of the original poster seeing a reduction of immersion heater thermostat setting as the solution.

That should be set at around 65 degrees.

The immersion overheat cutout is tripping and the OP has to reset it.

This may be because the overheat cutout is cutting out at too low a temperature, or because the gas heating is heating the cylinder water higher than the immersion overheat cutout level.

If the latter is the problem, the gas heating needs to be reduced, or a motorised valve and cylinder stat fitted to control the cylinder temperature from the other source.

Advertisement